Strange flavor from aged Raw Puer.

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 28th, '15, 13:55

Re: Strange flavor from aged Raw Puer.

by JeffMI » Apr 28th, '15, 13:55

As a point of clarification, I should mention that the 2007 Repave did not display this quality as much as the others did. Also, I have only brewed this Western style, if that maters.
puyuan wrote:That's surprising. Could I ask what you are brewing with? And more importantly, what your kettle is like.
If I remember correctly, I have used both a new Ceramic brewing vessel I got from YS that works on a drip system and produces Gong-fu like results. It's actually pretty cool. I have also used my SAMA Easy teapot which is made of plastic and has a push button to release the infusion from the tea leaves. Both brewing vessels produced the same "plastic-like" taste.

Apr 29th, '15, 02:14

by kiwi303 » Apr 29th, '15, 02:14

tingjunkie wrote:If I remember correctly, I did think the White Whale from White 2 did taste a bit plastic like. I should revisit it and confirm.
Please do, I have Tea coming from JayinHK and from JKTeashop, but was looking at White Whale from White2Tea and the 2014 Bulang Tribute from Crimson Lotus. If the White Whale is a bit off, I'd probably scrub that from the list.

Apr 29th, '15, 04:43

by shah82 » Apr 29th, '15, 04:43

Let's just say...that the report of someone new to teas older than five years should not be taken as authoritative.

The issue, in my opinion, is that the teas cited have the characteristic taste of older smoke. It is traditional to describe a number of aged teas that have had a lot of smoke as burnt rubber, for example.

It could be something else, or that he just might not like older tea, but I suggest that you should try a sample or a single brick. Break it up and put it in a lightly covered bowl for two weeks, and see how you feel about it then, yourself.

Apr 29th, '15, 04:59

by kyarazen » Apr 29th, '15, 04:59

JeffMI wrote:The smokiness is not the problem. The unnatural taste to it is....
can we trade samples (5g?)? have not tried those teas you had listed before.. i'll share some of my stash too

Apr 29th, '15, 09:33

by JeffMI » Apr 29th, '15, 09:33

shah82 wrote:Let's just say...that the report of someone new to teas older than five years should not be taken as authoritative.
I never claimed to be an authority. I merely started the thread because I wanted to see if others have had a similar experience with aged Puer.

Apr 30th, '15, 00:43

by tingjunkie » Apr 30th, '15, 00:43

I revisited the White Whale this evening and detected little to no trace of the plastic-like flavors or aromas this time. Maybe just a tiny bit after the leaves opened up and I smelled the wet leaves directly. The tea was significantly better than I remember. When I first tried it, I actually felt like it was a waste, but now it was a very pleasant and comforting (if not complex or challenging) semi-aged puerh. At the price, I may even buy a couple more.

So, new theory about the plastic/chemical notes in semi-aged puerh... it's probably just travel shock. I did try the WW within a couple days of getting it in the mail. Just goes to show, never judge a tea until it's been chilling at your home for a couple weeks. Perhaps the same thing happened with your four samples, Jeff? Just let them rest for 10 days and give them another try.

Apr 30th, '15, 07:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Apr 30th, '15, 07:04

Good to know, tj, thanks! I'll have to re-check that one as well. Although, I may have stuck it in my pumidor, and that introduces its own flavor tones.... :lol:

Apr 30th, '15, 11:01

by bonescwa » Apr 30th, '15, 11:01

I bought 3 White Whale bricks on hobbes' review alone and still haven't tried it. I've kept it in a stoneware crock with a humidity source for about a year which might have changed it.

Apr 30th, '15, 12:03

by JeffMI » Apr 30th, '15, 12:03

kyarazen wrote: can we trade samples (5g?)? have not tried those teas you had listed before.. i'll share some of my stash too
I will see if I have 5g still available from all of them. Some are only 25g samples and I have brewed them previously so I will have to check and see how much I have left.

Can you contact me through PM?

Apr 30th, '15, 12:04

by JeffMI » Apr 30th, '15, 12:04

tingjunkie wrote: So, new theory about the plastic/chemical notes in semi-aged puerh... it's probably just travel shock. I did try the WW within a couple days of getting it in the mail. Just goes to show, never judge a tea until it's been chilling at your home for a couple weeks. Perhaps the same thing happened with your four samples, Jeff? Just let them rest for 10 days and give them another try.
Noted.

I will let what I have left chill out for a bit before attempting to brew them again.

Apr 30th, '15, 21:29

by mr mopu » Apr 30th, '15, 21:29

tingjunkie wrote:I revisited the White Whale this evening and detected little to no trace of the plastic-like flavors or aromas this time. Maybe just a tiny bit after the leaves opened up and I smelled the wet leaves directly. The tea was significantly better than I remember. When I first tried it, I actually felt like it was a waste, but now it was a very pleasant and comforting (if not complex or challenging) semi-aged puerh. At the price, I may even buy a couple more.

So, new theory about the plastic/chemical notes in semi-aged puerh... it's probably just travel shock. I did try the WW within a couple days of getting it in the mail. Just goes to show, never judge a tea until it's been chilling at your home for a couple weeks. Perhaps the same thing happened with your four samples, Jeff? Just let them rest for 10 days and give them another try.
I almost always let new teas sit in the "pumidor" before getting into them. They arrive wrapped in plastic in a cardboard box and have probably seen some extreme temperature changes on the way to us. I think just like opening a bottle of wine and let it "breathe" the same can apply to puerh tea.

Jun 3rd, '15, 13:33

by teagenesis » Jun 3rd, '15, 13:33

Did anyone mention the possibility that it could be an environmental factor to the harvest trees?

Tea trees absorb much of the subterranean substances their roots come into contact with, during their clandestine odyssey to attain water, nutrients, and tasty chemicals. Another way the tea plants gain flavor, from the soil and nearby plants. They are skilled collectors, and compartmentalizers. They store chemicals in stems, and within the leaves as they age over time.

It is possible that the stems, twigs, and mature leaves in the pu-erh contain (who knows?) from whatever environmental factors they were experiencing in that area prior to harvest. Sometimes the taste can be effected that way from tea to tea.

Maybe what happened?

Jun 3rd, '15, 14:25

by BW85 » Jun 3rd, '15, 14:25

teagenesis wrote:Did anyone mention the possibility that it could be an environmental factor to the harvest trees?

Tea trees absorb much of the subterranean substances their roots come into contact with, during their clandestine odyssey to attain water, nutrients, and tasty chemicals. Another way the tea plants gain flavor, from the soil and nearby plants. They are skilled collectors, and compartmentalizers. They store chemicals in stems, and within the leaves as they age over time.

It is possible that the stems, twigs, and mature leaves in the pu-erh contain (who knows?) from whatever environmental factors they were experiencing in that area prior to harvest. Sometimes the taste can be effected that way from tea to tea.

Maybe what happened?
Doubt it, I and a lot of people have enjoyed these teas. I think the original poster just may not like strong sheng puerh

Jun 3rd, '15, 21:12

by mr mopu » Jun 3rd, '15, 21:12

JeffMI wrote:
tingjunkie wrote: So, new theory about the plastic/chemical notes in semi-aged puerh... it's probably just travel shock. I did try the WW within a couple days of getting it in the mail. Just goes to show, never judge a tea until it's been chilling at your home for a couple weeks. Perhaps the same thing happened with your four samples, Jeff? Just let them rest for 10 days and give them another try.
Noted.

I will let what I have left chill out for a bit before attempting to brew them again.
JeffMl, if you want, I have the White Whale in storage. I could swap yours for mine and see if we have any difference between them. Mine are kept at about 70f and 70% rh.

Jun 15th, '15, 18:14

by AllanK » Jun 15th, '15, 18:14

Could you be experiencing storage taste and not know how to describe it? Older puerh even with good storage often acquires what can be called storage taste. This can be particularly prominent when teas have been stored for a long time in a humid environment. It is in my experience usually referred to as wet wood or bamboo taste though. It may be called other things as well.

+ Post Reply