Piecing Together The Big Picture (Long Term Collecting)

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 21st, '15, 07:01

Piecing Together The Big Picture (Long Term Collecting)

by PuerhCollector » May 21st, '15, 07:01

Hello everyone,

As a long term collector of puerh tea I thought I would share this recent entry with puerh tea enthusiasts who are contemplating the same journey.

EXTRACT - There is something special about drinking the same tea for over 10 years. It changes the way you look at tea. Such a journey provides a familiarity and time for reflection and thought that allows you to develop new dimensions, deeper perceptions and appreciation for the tea you have. Each tea session in the moment feels unique but over time becomes distant memories. The real treasure lays in the infinite wisdom accumulated at the end of the journey when you have piece by piece put together and created for yourself what I like to call - The Big Picture.

Link to full article http://theguidetopuerhtea.blogspot.com/ ... cture.html

Best, Varat

May 21st, '15, 11:10

Re: Piecing Together The Big Picture (Long Term Collecting)

by Puerlife » May 21st, '15, 11:10

Is a tong enough for this, or do you need two? :D

May 21st, '15, 16:08

by ALTea » May 21st, '15, 16:08

Puerlife wrote:Is a tong enough for this, or do you need two? :D
Well, obviously you want to sample daily!

Assuming you use a small vessel (~40-50mL) and 3 grams of tea. You should get 5 tongs if you only want a little left after 10 years. Heck just in case you better get an extra tong or two.

May 22nd, '15, 05:49

by Rui » May 22nd, '15, 05:49

ALTea wrote:

Assuming you use a small vessel (~40-50mL) and 3 grams of tea. You should get 5 tongs if you only want a little left after 10 years. Heck just in case you better get an extra tong or two.
You read my mind. But please do not tell my wife about my intentions. :lol:

May 22nd, '15, 08:30

by PuerhCollector » May 22nd, '15, 08:30

Rui wrote:
ALTea wrote:

You read my mind. But please do not tell my wife about my intentions. :lol:
+1 Love the way you gentlemen think

In my humble opinion the Tong people are some of the most prepared and wisest people I know. With that said it is best we try not to place such limitations on ourselves. We have a long road ahead of us and it is only practical to do our best to ensure supplies don’t run out :)

May 23rd, '15, 02:10
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » May 23rd, '15, 02:10

Although it's been said, many times, many ways, merry tongmas...

I am glad more people are getting this idea said to them earlier in their Puer journey. There are several teas I regret not picking up a substantial amount of when i had the chance five or ten years ago.

For a lot of people in their 30's and 40's who drink tea often, a tong is actually very little tea. Even if you have the discipline to not pick at it, if you are intending to age it and want to have some around 20 or 30 years from now for daily drinking, a tong is not that much tea.

May 23rd, '15, 03:04

by Puerlife » May 23rd, '15, 03:04

Go for it, folks. When it comes to pu, we should all be spending money like it's made out of paper. :lol:

But (more) seriously, what is a sensible route to a tong (I'll refrain from mentioning jians hehe)? I'd say sample>cake>tong. Skip the sample stage if you are confidant in a dealer or factory, but skipping the cake stage is very risky unless you are better at this than I am. Pulling the trigger on a tong because of the fear a tea is going to sell out can lead to chagrin and deep, dark depression. As they say in stock forums: There is always another train leaving the station.
This is beautifully put:
The real treasure lays in the infinite wisdom accumulated at the end of the journey when you have piece by piece put together and created for yourself what I like to call - The Big Picture.

May 23rd, '15, 04:14
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » May 23rd, '15, 04:14

Puerlife wrote:But (more) seriously, what is a sensible route to a tong (I'll refrain from mentioning jians hehe)? I'd say sample>cake>tong.
I suppose this will be different for every person. In some cases in my life, waiting a mere day or two meant the difference between being able to purchase 20kg of a tea or not.

For some people, if they are deciding whether or not to purchase a large factory production, they might have several years to contemplate whether or not to purchase a tong.

Whatever the timeline, I think it is best to thoroughly experience a tea before making a decision on it.

May 23rd, '15, 05:01

by Puerlife » May 23rd, '15, 05:01

I suppose this will be different for every person. In some cases in my life, waiting a mere day or two meant the difference between being able to purchase 20kg of a tea or not.
Absolutely true, I'm sure. I realize now that my perspective is that of a relative newbie and that informs who I direct my advice at. But good gawd, 20 kilos! You're the guy I buy from so that I don't have to do that. BTW, how long have you been drinking pu, Paul?

May 23rd, '15, 09:09
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 23rd, '15, 09:09

Puercollector has started an interesting thread: the joy & risk of collecting a consumable. Puer tea may evolve into something wonderful & may not, as you pu guys know better than I do; however, I remind you that you may change. I'm not telling you not to collect, just that there is risk. I am not too unlike you.

I drank an oolong almost everyday for 4 years & have been in the same routine w/ a black tea for 8 months. (I have enough for a few years). Tea that cost a bit too much for me unless I bought a huge amount to get the cost down to what a guy who lives hand-to-mouth could afford. Still, I needed to sell some of it. So work was also involved. Worth it: I knew that I loved the tea, & the tea would not change much.

But I still had doubts because of my experience w/ cigars. Cigar smoking & all that can go w/ it, was not easy for me to master. But, I eventually learned to buy well, store, & age. Then from decades of swimming in over-chlorinated water, my nose got strange. Smoking became disgusting for me at a point when I owned 1200 cigars, 6 humidors.....

Years from now, some of you may not like pu or be unable to drink it. It's part of the big picture. That's what I'm saying as a friend.

May 23rd, '15, 09:54

by Puerlife » May 23rd, '15, 09:54

Even if I couldn't taste it I'd still drink it for the qi.

May 23rd, '15, 17:21

by bankung » May 23rd, '15, 17:21

The problem is that the teas I would consider buying in tong or more almost always cost a huge sum. :( :(

Its harder and harder to find great tea which priced reasonably. Almost impossible to find a "distinction grade" tea under $300 per 357g cake now.

May 24th, '15, 03:52

by PuerhCollector » May 24th, '15, 03:52

Puerlife It can also be said paper IOUs that’s generally losing value every year :(

My steps usually involve sample/obtain similar samples from other sources/conduct side by side comparison/tong up (or more) on the best option.

Ethan Indeed there is a risk. Perhaps the question to ask ourselves is “What is puerh tea to me?” It really comes down to knowing yourself. For me my interest in puerh tea goes far beyond a passing curiosity or a fleeting attraction that can change with the seasons like the latest fashion or trend. For me puerh tea has become a deep passion that has integrated itself into my everyday routine and become a part of life’s pleasures that I look forward to learning and making new discoveries. Personally I’m quite sure where I stand and it’s unlike to change. :wink:

Bankung Agreed. In my experience expensive tea does not guaranteed quality but quality tea does not come cheap. Puerh tea has become an expensive hobby for those with discerning palates and a preference for quality. Obviously most of us can’t afford to buy a tong of every tea we like and that’s reality. It’s about finding your balance. Sometimes I don’t mind having less tea and I'll go for quality over quantity. I drink a wide range of teas and I know that on most occasions when I find myself feeling most contented and happy it is usually with a quality tea in the teapot. :)

May 24th, '15, 09:41

by kyarazen » May 24th, '15, 09:41

the other bigger question in long term collecting, how to recognize the "peak" of the tea, where it could be said to be most worth it, and when does it start declining?

that said, many of the best aged teas today started off being "inexpensive teas"

premium new teas are not cheap!

May 24th, '15, 16:30

by BW85 » May 24th, '15, 16:30

kyarazen wrote:the other bigger question in long term collecting, how to recognize the "peak" of the tea, where it could be said to be most worth it, and when does it start declining?

that said, many of the best aged teas today started off being "inexpensive teas"

premium new teas are not cheap!
Where as the great teas of the past could be successfully aged for 50+ years, do you think some modern premium puerhs may reach their "peak" at a younger age due to processing differences? Unless a tea was produced with long term storage in mind.
Of course it can only be speculated on, but I have a hard time imagining some of these teas that are already wonderful and smooth at the 10year mark still being good after another 3 decades, without becoming sour or flat/boring. But who knows, maybe with careful storage we'll be in for a treat.

+ Post Reply