Storing Pu?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 11th, '15, 17:21

Re: Storing Pu?

by TaoTeaKing » Nov 11th, '15, 17:21

mr mopu wrote:I just found out you can remove the foam from the Oasis units fairly easy. I gutted all 4 of mine and have ordered some water retaining crystals. I think this will allow me to keep the electronics and keep away from the foam.
Hello!
I`m at the moment starting to build a pumidor as well...
i`m still thinking abut wich kind of humidifier i should buy.
Can you maybe elaborate to me what you did with the Oasis units?
You removed the "foam" but you put crystals inside the tank (?) unit ... ?
is that correct?
Why did you exactly put in the crystals? (why not only removing the foam?)

Sorry for my really basic english... greetings from germany.

Nov 11th, '15, 19:43

by mr mopu » Nov 11th, '15, 19:43

TaoTeaKing wrote:
mr mopu wrote:I just found out you can remove the foam from the Oasis units fairly easy. I gutted all 4 of mine and have ordered some water retaining crystals. I think this will allow me to keep the electronics and keep away from the foam.
Hello!
is that correct?

No problems as we will understand each other fine. Do you have a budget on what you wish to spend to get started? Also how much cubic space are you looking at storage for. Another note is shou and sheng should be stored apart so the flavors and aromas don't mix. Smoky tea should be stored apart from the others as well. Sorry to ask a lot of questions but getting your storage set up will need these parameters. :D

Nov 14th, '15, 15:43

by TaoTeaKing » Nov 14th, '15, 15:43

mr mopu wrote:
TaoTeaKing wrote:
Hello!
is that correct?

No problems as we will understand each other fine. Do you have a budget on what you wish to spend to get started? Also how much cubic space are you looking at storage for. Another note is shou and sheng should be stored apart so the flavors and aromas don't mix. Smoky tea should be stored apart from the others as well. Sorry to ask a lot of questions but getting your storage set up will need these parameters. :D
Thank you very much for your answer. I already saw some pictures of your setup via "Steepster" and read a blogpost by Cwyn (death by tea) about you and your storage.

I read really a lot about all this pros and cons ... for my this puerh fridge is more a long term experiment than actual storage...
i will try to buy more cakes 2x (2 times the same cake) .... or 3x and store them in different set ups.
I never buy any Shou / Ripe ... i did like some... but i`m just more in to sheng.

Actually i think i found out, understand now a bit better, what these "beds" / crystals ... do ... but i wonder if the contain any chemicals... any smell that will affect the tea. :?: (i`m not worried about my health here but about the taste of the tea get`s influenced by these crystals)
Are these "acryl polymer crystals" wich you used for replacing the foam?

Btw i was lucky to get a unused :!: fridge cheap on ebay... it is
81,9 cm high and width 59,7 cm (Zanussi ZQA 12430 DA ) ... already standing next to me.

Nov 14th, '15, 16:48

by stockman » Nov 14th, '15, 16:48

With a relative humidity of a (60% year average) it's not necessary to add more humidity right?

And what about temperature? Where I live temp goes from 37ºC in summer to 6-7ºC at winter. Do I need to 'control' it using cardboard boxes or something?

Nov 14th, '15, 19:12

by mr mopu » Nov 14th, '15, 19:12

TaoTeaKing wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
TaoTeaKing wrote:
Hello!
is that correct?

Thank you very much for your answer. I already saw some pictures of your setup via "Steepster" and read a blogpost by Cwyn (death by tea) about you and your storage.

I read really a lot about all this pros and cons ... for my this puerh fridge is more a long term experiment than actual storage...
i will try to buy more cakes 2x (2 times the same cake) .... or 3x and store them in different set ups.
I never buy any Shou / Ripe ... i did like some... but i`m just more in to sheng.

Actually i think i found out, understand now a bit better, what these "beds" / crystals ... do ... but i wonder if the contain any chemicals... any smell that will affect the tea. :?: (i`m not worried about my health here but about the taste of the tea get`s influenced by these crystals)

81,9 cm high and width 59,7 cm (Zanussi ZQA 12430 DA ) ... already standing next to me.
These are the crystals I am using. Non toxic and used to raise believe it or not, insects. It is used as a way to provide moisture for drinking and hydration. They are used as a moisture control as well in the insect environment.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310972842969?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
I have found a small amount goes a long way.

Nov 14th, '15, 19:22

by TaoTeaKing » Nov 14th, '15, 19:22

mr mopu wrote:
TaoTeaKing wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
TaoTeaKing wrote:
Hello!
is that correct?

These are the crystals I am using. Non toxic and used to raise believe it or not, insects. It is used as a way to provide moisture for drinking and hydration. They are used as a moisture control as well in the insect environment.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310972842969?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
I have found a small amount goes a long way.
Thank you very much for sharing the link!
I will share some updates and pictures when i have more time for the storage adventure. Greetings! :)

Nov 14th, '15, 19:27

by TaoTeaKing » Nov 14th, '15, 19:27

stockman wrote:With a relative humidity of a (60% year average) it's not necessary to add more humidity right?

And what about temperature? Where I live temp goes from 37ºC in summer to 6-7ºC at winter. Do I need to 'control' it using cardboard boxes or something?
I think the opinions here can be quite different...
i found this blog post by Marshaln quite interesting:
http://www.marshaln.com/2012/03/ideas-o ... h-storage/

... and this one: http://www.marshaln.com/2013/08/tempera ... d-storage/

From my research i just found out that my 50% arround 19 ~22 ° is not really a good environment for "preserve" ... and much less for "age"... my cakes :roll:

Nov 15th, '15, 15:43

by Exempt » Nov 15th, '15, 15:43

TaoTeaKing wrote:
stockman wrote:With a relative humidity of a (60% year average) it's not necessary to add more humidity right?

I think the opinions here can be quite different...
i found this blog post by Marshaln quite interesting:
http://www.marshaln.com/2012/03/ideas-o ... h-storage/

... and this one: http://www.marshaln.com/2013/08/tempera ... d-storage/

From my research i just found out that my 50% arround 19 ~22 ° is not really a good environment for "preserve" ... and much less for "age"... my cakes :roll:
I keep mine between 70 and 75% generally. 50% is pretty low

+ Post Reply