Aging huang pian?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 11th, '15, 19:42

Aging huang pian?

by Tealluminati » Nov 11th, '15, 19:42

So I was drinking a sample of a rather mediocre 2007 tea today, all chop and stems. Tasted like huang pian, just a little more astringent when pushed, but my experience with it is limited so that could be the chopping, or the stems, or just something I didn't notice when drinking "pure" HP..

Which leads me to my questions, is there any point in/does anyone age huang pian? How does it develop? Can it be bought somewhere? (for educational purposes:)

Nov 11th, '15, 19:49

Re: Aging huang pian?

by mr mopu » Nov 11th, '15, 19:49

Was it a factory tea or small production?

Nov 11th, '15, 19:54

by Tealluminati » Nov 11th, '15, 19:54

Yi Bang Cha Ma Si Tea Industry Co. Ltd - supposedly a factory, but I don't know anything about the scale of their operation. The tea is this http://www.royalpuer.com/Jing-Mai-Da-Sh ... ng-Cha.asp

It tastes very similar to chawangshop's Jingmai huang pian, but I haven't had that in a while so I might have to brew them side by side to confirm.

Nov 11th, '15, 20:30

by shah82 » Nov 11th, '15, 20:30

huangpan, just like stems, can contribute to a certain flavor note to pressings. They age, but you get much less flavor per grammage.

Nov 12th, '15, 08:17

by Tealluminati » Nov 12th, '15, 08:17

Thanks shah, I get that, and as part of a blend I don't care what material it contains as long as it's tasty to me :) I was wondering specifically about aging (pure) huang pian because I've not previously experienced a tea that is almost 10 years and taste so similar to fresh huang pian.

Nov 12th, '15, 12:15
Vendor Member

by honza » Nov 12th, '15, 12:15

Huang pian are easy for drinking now. I will recommend to just drinking it now and no keep. Huang pian are often sold as gushu but in many places they not select and mix all togheter and then sell to big factories with low price (2USD/kg?) to fermented as ripe puer.
The Jingmai huang pian we sell is like from 300kg gushu first spring selected only 20kg huang pian.
This year we bough some Mannuo maocha and there was from 60kg gushu selected 2kg huang pian only which I take for personal drinking and not sell it. But in many places where is taidi, small trees and gushu made by the same farmers, most of them not sellect huang pian and then taste low with astringency from the garden tea,

Nov 12th, '15, 13:06

by miig » Nov 12th, '15, 13:06

can someone tell me what huang pian is exactly? Thanks :)

Nov 12th, '15, 13:36

by kyarazen » Nov 12th, '15, 13:36

honza wrote:Huang pian are easy for drinking now. I will recommend to just drinking it now and no keep. Huang pian are often sold as gushu but in many places they not select and mix all togheter and then sell to big factories with low price (2USD/kg?) to fermented as ripe puer.
The Jingmai huang pian we sell is like from 300kg gushu first spring selected only 20kg huang pian.
This year we bough some Mannuo maocha and there was from 60kg gushu selected 2kg huang pian only which I take for personal drinking and not sell it. But in many places where is taidi, small trees and gushu made by the same farmers, most of them not sellect huang pian and then taste low with astringency from the garden tea,

sounds delicious~ any of that nannuo huangpian is available? :D :D

Nov 12th, '15, 13:46
Vendor Member

by honza » Nov 12th, '15, 13:46

Mannuo , is Mannuo, Mengwang village, there is another Mannuo in Bulang but this one is Mannuo in nearly Lancang , and yes sure, can send you, please PM me answer for my last message :D

Nov 12th, '15, 14:58

by mr mopu » Nov 12th, '15, 14:58

miig wrote:can someone tell me what huang pian is exactly? Thanks :)
Yellow leaf or the older lower leaves on the plant stem. Fresh its a good drink. I haven't had much older than a few years though. It is usually sorted out of the tea harvest. Many minority tribes keep it and brew it to drink.

Nov 15th, '15, 03:49

by PuerhCollector » Nov 15th, '15, 03:49

Tealluminati wrote:Yi Bang Cha Ma Si Tea Industry Co. Ltd - supposedly a factory, but I don't know anything about the scale of their operation. The tea is this http://www.royalpuer.com/Jing-Mai-Da-Sh ... ng-Cha.asp
The teacake you linked to looks like the purple leaf variety. You may wish to search for some purple leaf puerh teas from Dehong to compare appearances.

Age huang pian generally gets darker and sweeter with varying notes of brown sugar, wood, bark, Chinese herbs, etc. The character is simple becoming more mellow with age, the decent ones can show some depth.

More information is provided on the link below.
http://theguidetopuerhtea.blogspot.com/ ... huang.html

+ Post Reply