Which HEI CHA are you drinking?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 21st, '16, 15:35

Re: Which HEI CHA are you drinking?

by chefroyl » Sep 21st, '16, 15:35

I decided to learn a little about hei cha so I ordered 4 samples from Yunnan Sourcing. 2015 Bai Sha Xi "Blue Mark 5735" Fuzhuan Brick from Hunan is the first one i am trying. I'm loving it. The brick is full of "golden flowers" which must be responsible for the complexity of flavors. It has earthy components of dry mushroom and hay, with very little bitterness. What I am enjoying most about it is the warm, relaxing feeling that comes after drinking it.

Sep 26th, '16, 18:48

by miig » Sep 26th, '16, 18:48

2006 Liu-An from Chawangshop. I've had the cute 250g basket for two years or so, but now it was time to crack it open. I expected something darker, like a Liubao, but not at all. I wonder if this is even allowed to be called a Hei Cha - its flowery and almost fresh, with some well-balanced bitterness.. it seems surprisingly green. No trace of humid storage or whatever. Very nice!

Sep 27th, '16, 00:47
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 27th, '16, 00:47

miig wrote:2006 Liu-An from Chawangshop. I've had the cute 250g basket for two years or so, but now it was time to crack it open. I expected something darker, like a Liubao, but not at all. I wonder if this is even allowed to be called a Hei Cha - its flowery and almost fresh, with some well-balanced bitterness.. it seems surprisingly green. No trace of humid storage or whatever. Very nice!
That sounds like raw liu an! The stuff I get down here in HK is post-fermented, so more like liu bao. I've never tried the raw version, and now I want to!

Oct 5th, '16, 18:44

by miig » Oct 5th, '16, 18:44

jayinhk wrote:That sounds like raw liu an! The stuff I get down here in HK is post-fermented, so more like liu bao. I've never tried the raw version, and now I want to!
Yes, it is definitely not fermented like Shou or Liubao. The 2006 from Chawangshop is great and quite affordable! If you were in Europe, I'd send you a sample, but since you seem to be in Hongkong, Chawangshop is closer to you I guess :lol:

Oct 6th, '16, 00:01
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 6th, '16, 00:01

miig wrote:
jayinhk wrote:That sounds like raw liu an! The stuff I get down here in HK is post-fermented, so more like liu bao. I've never tried the raw version, and now I want to!
Yes, it is definitely not fermented like Shou or Liubao. The 2006 from Chawangshop is great and quite affordable! If you were in Europe, I'd send you a sample, but since you seem to be in Hongkong, Chawangshop is closer to you I guess :lol:
That is true, and Guangxi is wedged between us! :D

Oct 8th, '16, 02:59
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 8th, '16, 02:59

Drinking a chunk of liu bao cake from Three Cranes! Freebie with the purchase of 500g of top grade Three Cranes liu bao from 2005.
This cake is lovely! Dark, tastes like shu pu that's had just the right storage, but sweeter in that liu bao way and really very pleasant.

Oct 27th, '16, 13:23

by stevorama » Oct 27th, '16, 13:23

2003 Wuzhou 0311 liu bao this morning and 1993 Sichuan Ya´an Jin Jian Tibetan hei cha later. A hei cha kind of day!

Oct 27th, '16, 15:09
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 27th, '16, 15:09

Just finished up a Wuzhou sample and loved it--very nice taste to it. I don't like my teas too humid; if they're humid, I like 'em aired out so that there's no unpleasantness at all. I'll drink danker stuff, too, but nothing that is too moldy/makes my throat itch! :D

Oct 27th, '16, 18:34

by stevorama » Oct 27th, '16, 18:34

jayinhk wrote:Just finished up a Wuzhou sample and loved it--very nice taste to it. I don't like my teas too humid; if they're humid, I like 'em aired out so that there's no unpleasantness at all. I'll drink danker stuff, too, but nothing that is too moldy/makes my throat itch! :D
Perhaps that's the same sample I had this morning. From EOT, 2003 Wu zhou?

Oct 27th, '16, 18:45
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 27th, '16, 18:45

stevorama wrote:
jayinhk wrote:Just finished up a Wuzhou sample and loved it--very nice taste to it. I don't like my teas too humid; if they're humid, I like 'em aired out so that there's no unpleasantness at all. I'll drink danker stuff, too, but nothing that is too moldy/makes my throat itch! :D
Perhaps that's the same sample I had this morning. From EOT, 2003 Wu zhou?
No, something younger and direct from Wuzhou!

Nov 10th, '16, 00:24

by stevorama » Nov 10th, '16, 00:24

1994 Ya'an Kang Zhuan from CWS. Brewed with longer steeps in a larger teapot (and a few rinses.) Pleasant taste. Great feeling.

Nov 19th, '16, 16:42

by stevorama » Nov 19th, '16, 16:42

1994 Hong Kong Traditional Storage Liu'An from TealifeHK. I tend to prefer pu er, but this is perhaps my favorite "other hei cha" so far. I think the storage suits this tea very well.

Nov 20th, '16, 00:53
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 20th, '16, 00:53

stevorama wrote:1994 Hong Kong Traditional Storage Liu'An from TealifeHK. I tend to prefer pu er, but this is perhaps my favorite "other hei cha" so far. I think the storage suits this tea very well.
Thanks, that is really a very clean and smooth aged liu an! Once upon a time liu an was considered superior to pu erh by the Cantonese. It was even a traditional wedding gift. How times change!

Nov 20th, '16, 01:32

by stevorama » Nov 20th, '16, 01:32

jayinhk wrote:
stevorama wrote:1994 Hong Kong Traditional Storage Liu'An from TealifeHK. I tend to prefer pu er, but this is perhaps my favorite "other hei cha" so far. I think the storage suits this tea very well.
Thanks, that is really a very clean and smooth aged liu an! Once upon a time liu an was considered superior to pu erh by the Cantonese. It was even a traditional wedding gift. How times change!
I've heard that. Maybe I don't have enough experience with liu an. There is something about pu erh that I prefer. Perhaps the complexity, energy and/or body feel. For example I prefer the shou pu er that you have to this liu an. But of all the liu an or liu bao that I've tasted this is my favorite so far.

Nov 20th, '16, 04:33
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 20th, '16, 04:33

stevorama wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
I've heard that. Maybe I don't have enough experience with liu an. There is something about pu erh that I prefer. Perhaps the complexity, energy and/or body feel. For example I prefer the shou pu er that you have to this liu an. But of all the liu an or liu bao that I've tasted this is my favorite so far.
I agree, and I drink a lot more pu erh than liu an or liu bao, that's for sure. Cha tou last night and Jingmai maocha this morning! I guess liu an may have been considered more delicate since it's made with var. sinensis leaves by Han Chinese, vs var. assamica leaves by minority groups, as is traditionally the case with pu erh.

It's still mind boggling to imagine all the high grade 70s and 80s pu erh I would've walked by as a kid, and $2 Factory 1 pots. I wish my parents had bought some of both. At least I have some nice Jingdezhen teacups from the 80s to use!

+ Post Reply