Japanese Pu'Erh / Pink Tea

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 10th, '16, 23:26

Japanese Pu'Erh / Pink Tea

by umijoshi » Aug 10th, '16, 23:26

There's a new product on the market getting a lot of attention in Japan. It is a combination of tea leafs and black koji (a mold used to transform starch to sugar in the creation awamori and varieties of sake) spearheaded by researchers in Shizuoka, Japan. It has expanded to at least 1 company in Kagoshima (Sanshu-En). It's a spin on Pu'Erh, perhaps with a more 'controlled' approach to its production. Anyway, you can read about it below.

The following pdf was created by the innovators of this style
http://www.osadaen.co.jp/yamabuki_english.pdf

I have not tried Shizuoka's Osada-En product, but out of Kagoshima's Sanshu-En they are using one of Japan's black tea cultivars (benifuki). There are research centers being set up in Kagoshima to try out different koji/cultivar combinations on a larger scale.

I have a kilogram of it from Sanshu-En (they call it Crystal Rosé Pure) and sell it at our restaurant. So far the response from guests trying it is very positive. Sanshu-En's website is here:
http://www.tea-sanshuen.co.jp/

The tea leaf from Sanshu-En basically comes out to powder like you would expect from deep steamed green tea, with a houjicha brown color. In particular the texture is extremely rich and heavy. Some crazy flavors too.

I did a quick browse around the forum and didn't see any thread about this yet, has anyone else tried it?

Aug 11th, '16, 14:39

Re: Japanese Pu'Erh / Pink Tea

by shah82 » Aug 11th, '16, 14:39

umijoshi wrote:There's a new product on the market getting a lot of attention in Japan. It is a combination of tea leafs and black koji (a mold used to transform starch to sugar in the creation awamori and varieties of sake) spearheaded by researchers in Shizuoka, Japan. It has expanded to at least 1 company in Kagoshima (Sanshu-En). It's a spin on Pu'Erh, perhaps with a more 'controlled' approach to its production. Anyway, you can read about it below.

The following pdf was created by the innovators of this style
http://www.osadaen.co.jp/yamabuki_english.pdf

I have not tried Shizuoka's Osada-En product, but out of Kagoshima's Sanshu-En they are using one of Japan's black tea cultivars (benifuki). There are research centers being set up in Kagoshima to try out different koji/cultivar combinations on a larger scale.

I have a kilogram of it from Sanshu-En (they call it Crystal Rosé Pure) and sell it at our restaurant. So far the response from guests trying it is very positive. Sanshu-En's website is here:
http://www.tea-sanshuen.co.jp/

The tea leaf from Sanshu-En basically comes out to powder like you would expect from deep steamed green tea, with a houjicha brown color. In particular the texture is extremely rich and heavy. Some crazy flavors too.

I did a quick browse around the forum and didn't see any thread about this yet, has anyone else tried it?
It has been sold before by one of the more off-the-wall tea vendor, but I can't find it anymore...

Aug 11th, '16, 21:25

by Chris418 » Aug 11th, '16, 21:25

Aug 12th, '16, 17:01

by daidokorocha » Aug 12th, '16, 17:01

Yeah, I saw this stuff around a little while ago but never had any. Japan has a lot of pu'erh type teas though that are obviously much older. There has been some government investment in it but I wonder if anybody would care unless you market it as a health product.

Aug 13th, '16, 08:09
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 13th, '16, 08:09

I'd love to try some post-fermented Japanese teas!

Aug 13th, '16, 14:55

by daidokorocha » Aug 13th, '16, 14:55

jayinhk wrote:I'd love to try some post-fermented Japanese teas!
Check out yunomi and they have a few that are post-fermented. In fact, here is a link to a tasting set if you're interested.

http://www.yunomi.life/products/furyu-j ... asting-set

Aug 15th, '16, 02:08

by umijoshi » Aug 15th, '16, 02:08

daidokorocha wrote:
jayinhk wrote:I'd love to try some post-fermented Japanese teas!
Check out yunomi and they have a few that are post-fermented. In fact, here is a link to a tasting set if you're interested.

http://www.yunomi.life/products/furyu-j ... asting-set
Thanks! It's in the mail to me now :D

Aug 15th, '16, 11:58

by miig » Aug 15th, '16, 11:58

Ah, yes I drank through Yunomis "Hei Cha" a while ago.. there's interesting stuff there! One thing though: beware of the naughty Batabatacha :D

Aug 19th, '16, 10:11

by Alucard » Aug 19th, '16, 10:11

miig wrote:One thing though: beware of the naughty Batabatacha :D
Does that mean it has some bite to it? I have not tried Japanese puerh but i'm interested to do so.

Aug 19th, '16, 16:50
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 19th, '16, 16:50

I bought a sampler too! The pink tea sounds interesting as well. I have a nice stash of awamori from Okinawa, so I'm already familiar with black koji!

Aug 19th, '16, 18:53

by Alucard » Aug 19th, '16, 18:53

jayinhk wrote:I bought a sampler too!
OK, fine. Me too. :D

Aug 19th, '16, 20:55

by whatsinaname » Aug 19th, '16, 20:55

Me Too!

Rare treat to try a type of tea I've never tried before.

Aug 20th, '16, 12:15

by miig » Aug 20th, '16, 12:15

Alucard wrote:
Does that mean it has some bite to it? I have not tried Japanese puerh but i'm interested to do so.
I was kidding... somewhat. The Batabatacha has a very earthy, rustic flavor without the creamyness or floweryness or bread-aromas of most puerh. I found it very interesting, but very rugged too, and its not meant as a tea in the narrower sense, but its part of a certain dish. So be prepared for an unusual experience.

In general, I think it may be a bit misleading to speak of Japanes Puerh. Maybe one should say post-fermented tea or something like that, because these teas are great and very interesting, but the ones I've tried are really very different from puerh in almost every aspect.

Aug 20th, '16, 13:43

by Alucard » Aug 20th, '16, 13:43

miig wrote:
Alucard wrote:
I was kidding... somewhat. The Batabatacha has a very earthy, rustic flavor without the creamyness or floweryness or bread-aromas of most puerh. I found it very interesting, but very rugged too, and its not meant as a tea in the narrower sense, but its part of a certain dish. So be prepared for an unusual experience.

In general, I think it may be a bit misleading to speak of Japanes Puerh. Maybe one should say post-fermented tea or something like that, because these teas are great and very interesting, but the ones I've tried are really very different from puerh in almost every aspect.
Thanks miig. Sounds interesting for sure. You are right about the name - seems to be called Dark Tea too at some shops.

Aug 20th, '16, 20:59

by Bef » Aug 20th, '16, 20:59

I remember that one tasting raspberries. It's a very weird tea.

+ Post Reply