Tea in Yangon Myanmar

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 1st, '17, 05:55

Tea in Yangon Myanmar

by Candana » Apr 1st, '17, 05:55

Has anyone ever bought pu er tea in yangon or know of a good tea vendor?

Apr 1st, '17, 10:54
Vendor Member

Re: Tea in Yangon Myanmar

by jayinhk » Apr 1st, '17, 10:54

Candana wrote: Has anyone ever bought pu er tea in yangon or know of a good tea vendor?
Didn't see any pu erh there whatsoever. My suggestion: try lahpet (tea salad) and buy some of the smokey oolong tea they drink there, which seems to be shuixian. They simply call it 'Chinese tea' and you can pick it up anywhere!

Apr 1st, '17, 11:04

by Candana » Apr 1st, '17, 11:04

jayinhk wrote:
Candana wrote: Has anyone ever bought pu er tea in yangon or know of a good tea vendor?
Didn't see any pu erh there whatsoever. My suggestion: try lahpet (tea salad) and buy some of the smokey oolong tea they drink there, which seems to be shuixian. They simply call it 'Chinese tea' and you can pick it up anywhere!
Hi I live in myanmar, down at Mawlamyine. We eat laphet everyday, but I find that green smokey tea a bit hard on the stomach. There is the Myanmar Kokang Tea Company, they have a shop in Mandalay and I think they produce two bings, a raw and a ripe.
Also...many cakes and bricks now have Burmese script on the wrapper so maybe there is a market for it here?
Txs your reply

Apr 3rd, '17, 00:25
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 3rd, '17, 00:25

Candana wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Hi I live in myanmar, down at Mawlamyine. We eat laphet everyday, but I find that green smokey tea a bit hard on the stomach. There is the Myanmar Kokang Tea Company, they have a shop in Mandalay and I think they produce two bings, a raw and a ripe.
Also...many cakes and bricks now have Burmese script on the wrapper so maybe there is a market for it here?
Txs your reply
I think you'd need to go up closer to the Yunnan border for the good stuff...the locals probably aren't drinking much of it! :)

Apr 3rd, '17, 22:18
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 3rd, '17, 22:18

Also that 'green tea' is very much an oolong and appears to be mimicking the roast and style of shuixian (without the lovely flavor). I find it quite smooth and easy to drink myself and still have a fair bit in jars (haven't touched it in a while)!

Apr 4th, '17, 06:07

by victoria3 » Apr 4th, '17, 06:07

Welcome. This article might be of interest to you;
http://www.puerh.fr/en/article/searchin ... _puerh.htm
John Bickel posted it on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1647370 ... 846348689/

+ Post Reply