1 cake Puer Pumidor Some ideas

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 17th, '17, 13:31

1 cake Puer Pumidor Some ideas

by Youssef » Apr 17th, '17, 13:31

I am fairly new to "real tea" and I have a Dayi cake on the way. So, I was wondering what would be the best low cost place to store it! I just bought a cabinet for clothes but filled all but one drawer (the bottom drawer) and I picked out this place to store all of my non puer teas and teacakes. But, I really do not want to dry out this teacake that is coming, so I thought maybe I would put it in a glass bowl with a plastic cover and leave it in the drawer where theres no light. However, does anyone else have any better ideas (because to be honest I'm not sure if the cake will fit) ?

Also, should I store my non puer cakes this way aswell, or are they perfectly fine in their wrappers?

Here is the cake that I will be getting if it proves any relevance:

https://yunnansourcing.com/products/201 ... pu-erh-tea

Apr 17th, '17, 13:39

Re: 1 cake Puer Pumidor Some ideas

by steanze » Apr 17th, '17, 13:39

Make sure that the plastic lid does not smell. Leave the glass jar closed for a few days, then open it and smell the inside to check. Sometimes it seems like the plastic does not smell, but over time the smell inside builds up.

What's the humidity level inside your house? You might need to add some humidifier beads in the glass jar to reach ~70RH.

What are the other cakes?

Apr 17th, '17, 16:46

by wrcowan2002 » Apr 17th, '17, 16:46

If you are planning on breaking up your cake & putting it in a sealed glass container, the air won't be able to get to the leaf and it won't age properly -- puer needs to breath. If your room humidity is high enough, consider ceramic or bamboo containers with lids -- like the type used for storing raw rice. Its not air tight but won't let light in. If you aren't breaking up your cakes, you can put them in brand clasp envelops & stand them up on a book shelf (away from light).

However, if you need to add humidity, I caution you about humidors. I've purchased two, both were supposed to be Spanish cedar but both artificially scented my teas over time and it took months to get the scent out. A cardboard box with humidity beads will work and won't scent the teas. If you use wood, make sure it has no aroma.

Good luck & keep us posted on how it turns out.

Apr 17th, '17, 20:40

by mr mopu » Apr 17th, '17, 20:40

Youssef wrote: I am fairly new to "real tea" and I have a Dayi cake on the way. So, I was wondering what would be the best low cost place to store it! I just bought a cabinet for clothes but filled all but one drawer (the bottom drawer) and I picked out this place to store all of my non puer teas and teacakes. But, I really do not want to dry out this teacake that is coming, so I thought maybe I would put it in a glass bowl with a plastic cover and leave it in the drawer where theres no light. However, does anyone else have any better ideas (because to be honest I'm not sure if the cake will fit) ?

Also, should I store my non puer cakes this way aswell, or are they perfectly fine in their wrappers?

Here is the cake that I will be getting if it proves any relevance:

https://yunnansourcing.com/products/201 ... pu-erh-tea
GNWL a solid choice. It will age well. It should be at the point where it has settled. I second the caution with any odor around your tea. It can and will absorb odors.

Apr 18th, '17, 00:14

by bleadof » Apr 18th, '17, 00:14

My current solution is a Poveda in a zip lock bag. It's not the cheapest, but it has worked for me.

Previously I boiled pieces of porous red brick and stuck a small piece inside a zip lock bag, but then you really need to be careful with the humidity because there's no regulation, so I've also gotten mold on my tea. Thankfully my best teas were in a separate setup.

Apr 18th, '17, 04:36

by kuánglóng » Apr 18th, '17, 04:36

Since you only want to store it safely a Zip-Loc, or even better a multi-layer bag would be all you'd need. I keep a number of pu bings stored in multi-layer bags, but before I put them in there and depending on what I'm afterI always make sure they already have the right amount of residual moisture and their H2O content is evenly distributed! - so there's no need for extra moisture solutions (Boveda, etc...) as long as you keep your bags closed.
Low moisture and temperatures slow down the aging process, with too much residual moisture (>10 ... 12%, even locally, e.g on the surface) you'll risk the growth of mold. The main use of air flow in any storage solution in regard to aging is to distribute the humidity evenly and to keep the surface of your cakes from getting too moist (> mold) - your cakes get all the oxygen they need in a zip-locked (non-vacuumed) plastic bag but compared to a more open storage solution plastic bags or similar, smaller containers prevent the loss of volatile components.

Apr 18th, '17, 14:30

Re: RE: Re: 1 cake Puer Pumidor Some ideas

by bleadof » Apr 18th, '17, 14:30

kuánglóng wrote:Since you only want to store it safely a Zip-Loc, or even better a multi-layer bag would be all you'd need. I keep a number of pu bings stored in multi-layer bags, but before I put them in there and depending on what I'm afterI always make sure they already have the right amount of residual moisture and their H2O content is evenly distributed! - so there's no need for extra moisture solutions (Boveda, etc...) as long as you keep your bags closed.
I'd say this depends on the humidity of your air. In Finland we're low on humidity, around 30%, so there's no chance I can get ideal humidity from just having them in bag if I ever plan to open that bag.

Apr 18th, '17, 16:09

Re: RE: Re: 1 cake Puer Pumidor Some ideas

by kuánglóng » Apr 18th, '17, 16:09

bleadof wrote: I'd say this depends on the humidity of your air. In Finland we're low on humidity, around 30%, so there's no chance I can get ideal humidity from just having them in bag if I ever plan to open that bag.
There are a number of ways to add humidity if a cake is to dry and once that's done correctly (no overly humid areas on the surface) and the bag or container is properly sealed there are no more losses and no constant need to add, regulate or control moisture or airflow. I revisit my bagged cakes once or twice a year, compared to my other setups they age just as well that way and I never had a single issue with mold.

Apr 18th, '17, 16:23

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 1 cake Puer Pumidor Some ideas

by bleadof » Apr 18th, '17, 16:23

kuánglóng wrote:
bleadof wrote: I'd say this depends on the humidity of your air. In Finland we're low on humidity, around 30%, so there's no chance I can get ideal humidity from just having them in bag if I ever plan to open that bag.
There are a number of ways to add humidity if a cake is to dry and once that's done correctly (no overly humid areas on the surface) and the bag or container is properly sealed there are no more losses and no constant need to add, regulate or control moisture or airflow. I revisit my bagged cakes once or twice a year, compared to my other setups they age just as well that way and I never had a single issue with mold.
So, almost never open the bag. Sure, that definitely works.

+ Post Reply