Puerh ID?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 1st, '17, 07:00

Puerh ID?

by Distrait » May 1st, '17, 07:00

Hey everyone!

So as far as I know it is pretty difficult to find any kind of Puerh cakes local to me so I have been ordering samples online until I find something I love.

I had a tip from a co-worker to check out this place that was about 1.5 hours drive from me. Ended up buying some tea wares from there and two Puerh cakes. I think there was some miscommunication between the shop owner and myself as I'm a tea newbie and I think all the terminology I'm learning is Mandarin and I think she spoke Cantonese.

In my limited knowledge I'm pretty sure after trying both of them that one is Sheng and one is Shou. I think they're both 9-10 years old. Neither is very complex but both were fairly cheap considering the age.

So - I'm wondering if anyone cares to try and ID these. Maybe give your thoughts on what they're worth. Thanks :)

Sheng?

Shou?

May 1st, '17, 21:31

Re: Puerh ID?

by chrl42 » May 1st, '17, 21:31

First one is a typical CNNP, Kunming factory..pressed by a stone mould in Yiwu bcos Yiwu is popular place to press cakes (many other regions' Gushu are also pressed in Yiwu)...pretty drinkable tea I think.

Second one was manufactered by Yun Hai Factory..a typical Shou Cha.

May 2nd, '17, 07:10

by Distrait » May 2nd, '17, 07:10

Thanks for the help :D

I've got a sample of 2007 CNNP 8891 from YS, so it will be interesting for me to try these two side by side.

May 2nd, '17, 21:55

by mr mopu » May 2nd, '17, 21:55

Distrait wrote: Thanks for the help :D

I've got a sample of 2007 CNNP 8891 from YS, so it will be interesting for me to try these two side by side.
You should like the 8891. Storage was just about perfect on that one.

May 6th, '17, 18:30

by Distrait » May 6th, '17, 18:30

mr mopu wrote:

Wow, I only wish I knew tea as well as you. You were so right! I just tried the 8891 today and it tasted amazing. I haven't tried that many Seng Puerh tea yet but this one is the best tasting one I have tried. I regret only buying a sample as I'll have to wait about a month to get myself a full cake now hahah :lol:

To me it had an almost syrupy mouth feel, and pretty lubricating. No astringency or grip really at all. There was a very slight fleeting bitterness but nearly undetectable. The star of the show was the sweetness of the tea in early infusions. Hard for me to describe, but it was delicious. It's quite an affordable tea too!

May 6th, '17, 20:07

by mr mopu » May 6th, '17, 20:07

Distrait wrote:
mr mopu wrote:

Wow, I only wish I knew tea as well as you. You were so right! I just tried the 8891 today and it tasted amazing. I haven't tried that many Seng Puerh tea yet but this one is the best tasting one I have tried. I regret only buying a sample as I'll have to wait about a month to get myself a full cake now hahah :lol:

To me it had an almost syrupy mouth feel, and pretty lubricating. No astringency or grip really at all. There was a very slight fleeting bitterness but nearly undetectable. The star of the show was the sweetness of the tea in early infusions. Hard for me to describe, but it was delicious. It's quite an affordable tea too!
Oh, I don't know anything about puerh. I am still in the learning stage. This one is honey sweet.

+ Post Reply