Favorites from '13-'17

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Mar 26th, '18, 02:25

Re: RE: Re: Favorites from '13-'17

by bagua7 » Mar 26th, '18, 02:25

Thanks! ;)

Mar 27th, '18, 08:48

Re: Favorites from '13-'17

by CheekyChipmunk » Mar 27th, '18, 08:48

Hi there,

Welcome back! I think we can all sympathise falling down 'pu-holes', snapping up tea much faster than we can consume it.... As for favourites from these years:

YS 2013 Da Si. This is one of my all time favs, unfortunately it is sold out so you'd have to find someone willing to part with some of theirs (this is more of a "if you ever see it come up" sort of tip).

YS 2013 Wu Liang Ye Sheng. Unfortunately on checking just now, also sold out. However, Scott produces these most years so you can definitely find them on the site, for instance the '14 is called 'wu liang wild arbor' (ye sheng meaning 'wild purple'). This tea has an almost 'purple' flavour to it as suggested, with a hint of smokiness and intriguing florals and good body. Something different and delicious

Hai Long Hao 2015 Gao Shan Chen Yun. This tea has many fans due to its relatively low cost (at least on yunnansourcing.com) and maturity in taste that defies its age. Bit of a no brainer

YS 2015 Huang Shan Gu Shu. This one has some nice sweetness balanced with thick hay and nice high florals with a strong hui gan to boot. It has gone up a lot in price since I bought it! maybe go for the '16 instead...

YS 2014 Gua Feng Zhai. I only had a sample of this and it was one of the first pu's i tried. Looking back, I didn't appreciate this one as much as I should have (one reason not to drink the best from the very beginning). Just a well produced tea with hints of smokiness, strong earthy body, little to no bitterness or astringency and complex flavours.

It seems like the whole 'buy them while they are young' thing is quite sage advice because almost all of the teas I mention seem to have increased a fair amount in price (as can be expected) compared to when I purchased them!

+ Post Reply