Must you rinse pu erh?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 9th, '07, 12:53

Must you rinse pu erh?

by maxman » Feb 9th, '07, 12:53

Let's say I am at work and the only method I have for brewing is to boil a cup of water in the microwave. Then I use a teaspoon-type infuser (I call mine the Iron Maiden :roll: ).
I really can't rinse the tea before I brew it.
This won't kill me, will it?

Feb 9th, '07, 16:53

by Mary R » Feb 9th, '07, 16:53

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

But likely this won't do you in. I can't think a puerh constricted in a spoon infuser would taste as good as it could, though.

Feb 9th, '07, 17:05
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 9th, '07, 17:05

Mary R wrote:What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

But likely this won't do you in. I can't think a puerh constricted in a spoon infuser would taste as good as it could, though.
Agreed, it does need more room to expand.

I personally would not want to drink non rinsed pu-erh.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 9th, '07, 20:08

by maxman » Feb 9th, '07, 20:08

I know it won't kill me.

I figure even a bad cup is better than none. To tell you the truth, I can't really tell a taste difference when I don't rinse it. I do rinse it all the time at home. At least it gets rid of any dust.

I think I was born to drink this stuff. At work I get to jonesing for it, so out comes the iron maiden and the cup goes in the microwave. About 10 minutes later, counting steeping and cooling time, I'm happy.

Feb 9th, '07, 20:42

by Space Samurai » Feb 9th, '07, 20:42

I hate to advocate anything from Rep. of Tea, but if you have to make tea at work, I'd reccomend ditching the tea ball and getting one of their People's Brew Baskets. Of all the teaball, teastick, teabab and what not paraphanalia I"ve come across, it's the only that seems to give the leaves room to expand and move around. They are designed for mugs and cost about 3.99.

Don't get me wrong, drink your tea however makes you happy, but I think we all agree that for a better cup, the leaves need room.

Feb 10th, '07, 14:40

by Mary R » Feb 10th, '07, 14:40

spacesamurai wrote:Of all the teaball, teastick, teabab and what not paraphanalia I"ve come across, it's the only that seems to give the leaves room to expand and move around.
Holla. Better prices can be found around, though. With the RoT, you can purchase one with a snazzy holder, which helps hide the mess--especially good for work. But any old cup or glass will obviously do.

I've said this before, but Zensuke offers a similar product for much less. I just ordered some, actually. Shipping was very prompt and the quality is *BETTER* than the other infuser I'd been using. (Search words: "Infuser Basket")

+ Post Reply