HK "lightly wet stored" 2001 7542

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.


Jun 2nd, '08, 20:37

HK "lightly wet stored" 2001 7542

by Deleted User #17777 » Jun 2nd, '08, 20:37

Just tried the "Lightly wet stored" 2001 Menghai 7542.

You can see a slight whitish film over the exposed parts of the piece of sample I had. There were some fairly compressed parts, as well as loose bits. Looks like the cake was not too compressed origonaly, and breaks apart fairly easily.

The tea had a soapy, incense like smell to it. It was the first thing I noticed on opening the package. The smell of aged tea was the second. It is not like Nag Champa, but close. I am wondering if the tea is stored in a shop that burns incense continually, or the package resided next to a well used censer on it's journey across the ocean.

I used 2g in 50 ml of water, I wanted to try only a small amount. Rinse 10 sec, then let sit 1 minute, then 15 sec infusion.

Tea was surprisingly light colored. Certainly not Shu by any stretch. The incense flavor and smell carried over to the cup. It was hard to taste the tea under that cloying scent.

I quickly did four more infusions, with the last at two minutes. The scent diminished, but was still present in aroma and taste. I could feel the body of the tea slip away after the fifth infusion, and I think I could have had a few more, I called it quits.

Overall, the incense quality made it hard to judge. No strident tones of bitterness or tannic astringency. About the 3rd infusion was the best, with sweetness vying for top billing.

I plan to let it air out for a while, and retry later.

I looked at the spent leaves, and there were many small leaves and some buds. A few larger leaves were seen too. Only one really "moth eared" type of leaf, so this was not the wet storage that really rots the leaves.

Overall, not at all "swampy" pond like, or even like shu. seems further advanced for the 2001 year in terms of color and lack of bitterness, but a real evaluation will need to wait until it "breathes" a bit.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Jun 2nd, '08, 20:42

Same package contained 20 year old dry stored loose pu'erh

by Deleted User #17777 » Jun 2nd, '08, 20:42

Thankfully, this did not have the same incense like smell inside the zip lock baggie. Will save drinking and review for later

Image

User avatar
Jun 2nd, '08, 22:12
Posts: 2299
Joined: Oct 23rd, '06, 19:46
Location: Seattle Area
Contact: tenuki

by tenuki » Jun 2nd, '08, 22:12

Excellent review.

Wow, if a puerh only lasted 5 infusions for me I'd seriously consider throwing it out or at least sending it to somebody who didn't care.

Really interested in hearing what airing it out does.

User avatar
Jun 3rd, '08, 12:01
Posts: 1936
Joined: May 22nd, '06, 11:28
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!
Contact: hop_goblin

by hop_goblin » Jun 3rd, '08, 12:01

Thanks for sharing. I am sorry that the incense flavors were distracting. I don't really think that the sample is "light wet stored". The 'white frost' is generally indicative of a more aggressive fermentation.

User avatar
Jun 3rd, '08, 12:11
Posts: 591
Joined: Apr 21st, '07, 23:01
Location: Indianapolis IN
Contact: augie

Re: HK "lightly wet stored" 2001 7542

by augie » Jun 3rd, '08, 12:11

TomVerlain wrote: Image
TV: Sorry about your disappointing cake. Man, you have got some awesome teaware and furniture. Is that a bamboo tea tray or table your teaware is sitting on? Thanks for the photos.

Jun 3rd, '08, 22:15

by Deleted User #17777 » Jun 3rd, '08, 22:15

thanks for the compliments -

the cup in the picture is a wedding wine cup - probably mid to late 1800's. It has the double happiness symbol on it (shown in picture)

This was "minyao" or ordinary use - some time called "kitchen qing" The saucer is a bit later, turn of the century (19th to 20th) probably, but I think for export.

I took the tea out of the plastic bags it was in and placed it in a cardboard container, and overnight a lot of the smell dissipated. I will be sure to try it this weekend and update.


[/i]

+ Post Reply