My wooden puerh humidor builing adventure

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.


User avatar
Aug 4th, '08, 13:18
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Aug 4th, '08, 13:18

Shouldn't it be called a "pumidor"?

I'm considering comandeering my wife's shoe closet to construct my own. There would be some issues, such as what to do with her thousands of pairs, not to mention the little problem of having to live in the garage.

User avatar
Aug 4th, '08, 13:20
Posts: 1955
Joined: May 22nd, '06
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!
Contact: hop_goblin

by hop_goblin » Aug 4th, '08, 13:20

tony shlongini wrote:Shouldn't it be called a "pumidor"?

I'm considering comandeering my wife's shoe closet to construct my own. There would be some issues, such as what to do with her thousands of pairs, not to mention the little problem of having to live in the garage.



MUWAHAHA :lol:

User avatar
Aug 4th, '08, 14:02
Posts: 331
Joined: Feb 27th, '08
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR
Contact: Dizzwave

by Dizzwave » Aug 4th, '08, 14:02

tony shlongini wrote:... what to do with her thousands of pairs...

Nah, leave them in there. Sweaty shoes are perfect humidifiers. Probably as close to the sweaty horses of the ancient tea road as we'll ever get!

User avatar
Aug 4th, '08, 14:39
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 20th, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Aug 4th, '08, 14:39

Dizzwave wrote:... as close to the sweaty horses of the ancient tea road as we'll ever get!
Now there is one overlooked pu storage issue! Good thinking, Dizzwave. Your attention to authentic historical detail is most admirable.





    *... oh, btw, I don't think I will be able to make over for tea ... ever! *

User avatar
Aug 4th, '08, 15:00
Posts: 2700
Joined: May 31st, '08
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR
Contact: Geekgirl

by Geekgirl » Aug 4th, '08, 15:00

tony shlongini wrote:Shouldn't it be called a "pumidor"?


YAY!!! I've been wanting to say this since the thread went up, but refrained because I want people to think I am sweet.

User avatar
Aug 4th, '08, 15:56
Posts: 331
Joined: Feb 27th, '08
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR
Contact: Dizzwave

by Dizzwave » Aug 4th, '08, 15:56

Ti wrote:Hopefully I will be able to get moving on my version of pumidor this weekend.

I think Ti beat y'all to it a couple weeks ago. :)

User avatar
Aug 4th, '08, 16:39
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Aug 4th, '08, 16:39

Dizzwave wrote:
tony shlongini wrote:... what to do with her thousands of pairs...

Nah, leave them in there. Sweaty shoes are perfect humidifiers. Probably as close to the sweaty horses of the ancient tea road as we'll ever get!


Sorry, but my better half doesn't sweat, she glistens. :lol:

User avatar
Aug 4th, '08, 18:40
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 20th, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Aug 4th, '08, 18:40

Dizzwave wrote:
Ti wrote:Hopefully I will be able to get moving on my version of pumidor this weekend.

I think Ti beat y'all to it a couple weeks ago. :)
Credit for a great neologism goes to Ti in this post on 07/18/08. However, like many great discoveries, a portion of credit must also grace the shoulders of the brilliant and lovely tony shlongini, whose wife glistens.

User avatar
Aug 4th, '08, 19:32
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Aug 4th, '08, 19:32

Salsero wrote:
Dizzwave wrote:
Ti wrote:Hopefully I will be able to get moving on my version of pumidor this weekend.

I think Ti beat y'all to it a couple weeks ago. :)
Credit for a great neologism goes to Ti in this post on 07/18/08. However, like many great discoveries, a portion of credit must also grace the shoulders of the brilliant and lovely tony shlongini, whose wife glistens.


Not looking for any credit here; the name "pumidor" just seemed rather obvious. I live near a JR Cigars shop, and they have about a 10,000 square foot humidor. I'd ask them to store my beengs there (as they used to do for my cigars) were it not for the smoky atmosphere. Hmmm, maybe I can still keep some of my Changtai's there. :lol:

Brilliant? I don't like to argue. Lovely? Not me. Fortunately, I have Mrs. Shlongini (see avatar) to cover that for the both of us. :wink:

User avatar
Aug 5th, '08, 09:06
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '08
Location: Pennsylvania

by shogun89 » Aug 5th, '08, 09:06

I dont know, the word pumidor sound a little like a. . . cat box.

User avatar
Aug 5th, '08, 10:08
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Aug 5th, '08, 10:08

shogun89 wrote:I dont know, the word pumidor sound a little like a. . . cat box.


There are a lot of people who think puerh smells like one. :roll: I, for one, am glad. I like the fact that puerh is still virtually unknown (and generally frowned upon) outside of a small group of cognoscenti.

I've "spread the word" in far too many hobbies, only to have it come back to haunt me in the form of increased prices and reduced availability. I'd prefer that as few as possible find out about this one. :wink:

User avatar
Aug 25th, '08, 09:16
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 20th, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Aug 25th, '08, 09:16

For those who haven't noticed yet, in Cha Dao Corax is hosting a second in his series of articles on aging puerh tea. Our own Toki (Tim) contributed to the first part and MarshalN is a contributor in this second part.

User avatar
Aug 25th, '08, 09:22
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '08
Location: Pennsylvania

by shogun89 » Aug 25th, '08, 09:22

Salsero wrote:For those who haven't noticed yet, in Cha Dao Corax is hosting a second in his series of articles on aging puerh tea. Our own Toki (Tim) contributed to the first part and MarshalN is a contributor in this second part.


Cool! thanks Sal, I will give that a read right now! Thanks Tim and MarshalN!

User avatar
Aug 25th, '08, 10:06
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '08
Location: Pennsylvania

by shogun89 » Aug 25th, '08, 10:06

Wow! what a fantastic read! Just make sure you read the first article first, the link is found in the introductory paragraph of the link provided.

User avatar
Aug 25th, '08, 13:27
Posts: 1955
Joined: May 22nd, '06
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!
Contact: hop_goblin

by hop_goblin » Aug 25th, '08, 13:27

Cha Dao is always a good read.

+ Post Reply