Show off your Pu!!!!!!!

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 25th, '11, 07:44
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Show off your Pu!!!!!!!

by Drax » Jun 25th, '11, 07:44

auhckw wrote:The booth that is selling this is crowded with people and most of them are all praising it. Eventually we bought it :)
And... was it worthy of the award...? :D

Jun 25th, '11, 08:17

by auhckw » Jun 25th, '11, 08:17

Drax wrote:
auhckw wrote:The booth that is selling this is crowded with people and most of them are all praising it. Eventually we bought it :)
And... was it worthy of the award...? :D
It is being voted by hundreds. Ppl's choice. Do I dare to say it is not worth the award... haha

Personally I'm ok with it but I don't fancy liubao as much as raw pu.

It taste something like Ripe Pu + A bit of Old Taste + A bit Wet Taste + Woody Taste + Sweet Aftertaste + Warm Feeling...

At times ppl get confused over old raw tea / ripe tea with liu bao. It is not exactly the same, but there are some similarities

Jun 25th, '11, 10:25

by Dass » Jun 25th, '11, 10:25

For me this tea is wet stored.There were white fungus when the owner opened a new batch from the basket. The taste is not 2005 as claimed.It should be around 1998 to 2000.Also the price is too high if its a 2005 tea as claimed.

Jun 25th, '11, 10:31

by auhckw » Jun 25th, '11, 10:31

Dass wrote:For me this tea is wet stored.There were white fungus when the owner opened a new batch from the basket. The taste is not 2005 as claimed.It should be around 1998 to 2000.Also the price is too high if its a 2005 tea as claimed.
On the banner it says it is y2000 production, she said she did a mistake when providing the info during submission and it was actually y2005.

Yes, there is some white fungus on the bottom of the big basket, the middle looks quite ok.

Jun 25th, '11, 10:48

by gasninja » Jun 25th, '11, 10:48

I just tried my first aged liau Bao from the 80s a couple days ago. At first I really liked it nice woody earthy flavor instantly noticable warming qi thick mouthfeel . But their was this aftertaste that I found very unatural almost chemical like. I couldn't make myself drink more than two cups. I wonder if it is an aftertaste common to all liau bao or just this tea. I hope not because I could see myself enjoying it.

Jun 25th, '11, 10:55

by auhckw » Jun 25th, '11, 10:55

gasninja wrote:I just tried my first aged liau Bao from the 80s a couple days ago. At first I really liked it nice woody earthy flavor instantly noticable warming qi thick mouthfeel . But their was this aftertaste that I found very unatural almost chemical like. I couldn't make myself drink more than two cups. I wonder if it is an aftertaste common to all liau bao or just this tea. I hope not because I could see myself enjoying it.
I have not drink enough liubao to sound very experience, but I have tried at least about 10 diff types from diff ages. Oldest 70s.

Liubao in general has a wet taste that is common. But some taste like herb which can be expensive. And like yours some taste like chemical that is not nice to me too (but some people like it, can be expensive also)

Liubao is also an acquired taste like ripe pu. Need some time to get use to it. I remember it took me few rounds of tasting to adapt/enjoy it.

Jun 26th, '11, 10:07

by auhckw » Jun 26th, '11, 10:07

auhckw wrote:2005 Liu Bao (Golden Award from Tea Expo) - This is one out of the forty blind tasting samples sent out to participants interested to try before the Expo. It eventually won the gold award after being voted by hundreds of tea drinkers. It is the only Liu Bao that won the gold award.

I was with a senior today, and he was saying he don't want to try/buy cause it will be just another Liubao and he has plenty (young and very old). Eventually we went to try. And we were suprised how good it is at the price. The taste is very good for a young liubao. Very warm feeling when drinking. Strong aroma and deep flavored. As it gets lighter from many infusions, it remains sweet. It gives a very longlasting overtaste.

The booth that is selling this is crowded with people and most of them are all praising it. Eventually we bought it :)
Senior tasted again last night at his home and he was very satisfied with how it performed. 1 to 6 brew maintain, 7 to 10 slight drop, 11 onwards drop a lot but still gives the light sweet taste. On the 8th onwards there is some 'zhang xiang' taste. He went this morning to buy a few more kg...

and I decided to go on the last minute before the expo is over and got another 1kg + 200g

I asked how to identify the liu bao... she said by the number 85122 on the basket wrapping and the printing on the basket itself.

Jun 26th, '11, 11:53

by gasninja » Jun 26th, '11, 11:53

in general has a wet taste that is common. But some taste like herb which can be expensive. And like yours some taste like chemical that is not nice to me too (but some people like it, can be expensive also)
It was more like a chemical aftertaste. yuk I would of enjoyed the tea except for that

Jun 28th, '11, 00:14

by debunix » Jun 28th, '11, 00:14

This is the story of a well-traveled box, which crossed the Atlantic Ocean thrice....

.....could anything inside this battered thing still be intact?

Yes!

Blessed be the bubbles that wrap, for they are the salvation of the Nannuo, the Guafengzhai, and the Gu Shu Shu Cha!

Jun 28th, '11, 07:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jun 28th, '11, 07:30

debunix wrote:Blessed be the bubbles that wrap, for they are the salvation of the Nannuo, the Guafengzhai, and the Gu Shu Shu Cha!
Wow, now that it one box that received a lot of 'love' along the way.... whew. The last picture is great... they've popped out of the wrap unscatched. Huzzah! :D

Jun 28th, '11, 21:32

by nickE » Jun 28th, '11, 21:32

Talked to Scott at YS today.
It's slow going with pressing this year. We brought all our mao cha to Kunming to be aged before pressing. Now we have alot stuck in the tea factory here... there is a massive backlog at the factory due to huge demand for pressing and a labor shortage... anyways...

We will release these cakes for sure:

Gao Shan Zhai (Yi Wu), Nan Po (mengku/bingdao), Mu Shu Cha (mengku), Nan Nuo, Ba Da, Jing Gu.

These are all wild and ancient arbor single estate teas... Gao Shan will be the most expensive... close to $100 for 400 gram cake... the two mengku productions are ancient arbor and will be around $50 per 400 gram cake. Nan Nuo and Ba Da slightly less...

Jul 1st, '11, 11:02

by auhckw » Jul 1st, '11, 11:02

2011 Xia Guan Golden Melon Tuo Raw - 100g x 12

Jul 1st, '11, 11:05

by auhckw » Jul 1st, '11, 11:05

2011 Xia Guan Golden Melon Tuo Raw - 250g x 2

Jul 1st, '11, 11:12

by auhckw » Jul 1st, '11, 11:12

2003 Xia Guan Te Ji Raw - The box version is a rare find. First release of product

Jul 2nd, '11, 07:21

by auhckw » Jul 2nd, '11, 07:21

Yunnan (Xia Guan) Tuo Cha 2005 Raw - Bought 2 for collection purpose only.

+ Post Reply