is this normal?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 1st, '08, 20:16
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: shortchange on weight?

by silverneedles » Sep 1st, '08, 20:16

puerhshop wrote:The weight of a Puerh tea product is weighed at the time when maocha is compressed into a cake/brick/tuo.
When the tea is shipped over in the container or pallet, do they charge by estimated weight, or do they weight the shipment?

Sep 1st, '08, 22:50

by Smells_Familiar » Sep 1st, '08, 22:50

Wesli wrote:Simple tissue wrapping is the norm.
All of the pu I have has come in tissue with a sticker of some sort to seal the deal. Sorry I wasn't more specific, the lack of sticker was what I was talking about.
Trioxin wrote:I have a few of the newer Mengku cakes, and aside from the Mu Ye Chuns, they've all been sealed with a sticker. Which cake in particular are you asking about.
It is this cake.
Salsero wrote:I weighed a a few of my cakes and bricks after reading this. It seems that my small sizes (100 gr) are more likely (in every case actually) to be under than my big cakes and bricks.

I have always avoided checking weight because I figured it would just upset me, but the opposite seems to be the case. Even fully dried the 357 gr to 500 gr cakes weigh their stated amount or more. They must have weighed considerably more just after manufacture and before drying.
Normally I don't weigh my tea, but occasionally I will if it's the first order I've received from a vendor I've never delt with before. Every time I've weighed tea it's weighed over the stated weight, so I've always been pleasantly suprised. I'm not pissed about the shortage but it is a bit dissapointing. I bet the vendor I bought from doesn't even know the bricks are under and maybe it was just mine. Oh well, I'll let him know. Lil tip o the hat, wink of the eye, a "yer fly's undone timmy", nudge nudge, a bit of a heads up, ya know...an fyi. lol

Sep 2nd, '08, 05:48

by Trioxin » Sep 2nd, '08, 05:48

I wouldn't worry much about it not having a sticker, especially considering its coming from Yunnan Sourcing. Only a small percentage of the cakes I own have come sealed with a sticker (Menghai and 2008 Mengku's).

Sep 2nd, '08, 05:58

by thanks » Sep 2nd, '08, 05:58

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Menghai didn't even start sealing their bings with a sticker until 2006 when they introduced their new anti-counterfeiting measures. I have a Peacock of Mengsong from 2005 with no sticker on the wrapper. How does that 2007 organic Mengku tea taste though? Anyone had the 2006 and the 2007? Is the huge price difference worth the one year of aging? The picture of the 2006 looks a lot better than the 2007.

Sep 2nd, '08, 10:09

by edkrueger » Sep 2nd, '08, 10:09

Trioxin wrote:I wouldn't worry much about it not having a sticker, especially considering its coming from Yunnan Sourcing. Only a small percentage of the cakes I own have come sealed with a sticker (Menghai and 2008 Mengku's).
My Mengkus from YS didn't come with a sticker, they however have a phone in verification.

+ Post Reply