Qian Liang Cha

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.


User avatar
Oct 2nd, '08, 09:07
Posts: 83
Joined: Sep 2nd, '08, 11:34
Location: Singapore

Qian Liang Cha

by Fatman2 » Oct 2nd, '08, 09:07

Hi, its me again. Please bear with me as I have many questions.

With regards to the above, can anyone share your understanding of why such a tea should cost 1000USD per kilo in Korea? Anyone know the story behind such a tea? Is it puerh? how much does it cost? Pray tell.

User avatar
Oct 2nd, '08, 10:51
Posts: 1945
Joined: May 22nd, '06, 11:28
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!
Contact: hop_goblin

Re: Qian Liang Cha

by hop_goblin » Oct 2nd, '08, 10:51

Fatman2 wrote:Hi, its me again. Please bear with me as I have many questions.

With regards to the above, can anyone share your understanding of why such a tea should cost 1000USD per kilo in Korea? Anyone know the story behind such a tea? Is it puerh? how much does it cost? Pray tell.
No, not pu-erh. Pu-erh tea only originates from Yunnan China.

User avatar
Oct 2nd, '08, 11:10
Vendor Member
Posts: 2009
Joined: Apr 4th, '06, 15:07
Location: NYC
Contact: TIM

by TIM » Oct 2nd, '08, 11:10

It is almost like a puerh in its aging method. A tea from Hunan. Had some from the 50's and it's like honey, very sweet, think about a very well aged DanCong, but with the body of sheung pu.... my 2 cents

User avatar
Oct 2nd, '08, 11:43
Posts: 83
Joined: Sep 2nd, '08, 11:34
Location: Singapore

by Fatman2 » Oct 2nd, '08, 11:43

TIM wrote:It is almost like a puerh in its aging method. A tea from Hunan. Had some from the 50's and it's like honey, very sweet, think about a very well aged DanCong, but with the body of sheung pu.... my 2 cents
Interesting. You mean it taste like ripe or raw pu?

User avatar
Oct 2nd, '08, 11:44
Posts: 83
Joined: Sep 2nd, '08, 11:34
Location: Singapore

Re: Qian Liang Cha

by Fatman2 » Oct 2nd, '08, 11:44

hop_goblin wrote:
Fatman2 wrote:Hi, its me again. Please bear with me as I have many questions.

With regards to the above, can anyone share your understanding of why such a tea should cost 1000USD per kilo in Korea? Anyone know the story behind such a tea? Is it puerh? how much does it cost? Pray tell.
No, not pu-erh. Pu-erh tea only originates from Yunnan China.
Yup. Thanks. Now we know it is from Hunan. :)

User avatar
Oct 2nd, '08, 11:46
Vendor Member
Posts: 2009
Joined: Apr 4th, '06, 15:07
Location: NYC
Contact: TIM

by TIM » Oct 2nd, '08, 11:46

Fatman2 wrote:
TIM wrote:It is almost like a puerh in its aging method. A tea from Hunan. Had some from the 50's and it's like honey, very sweet, think about a very well aged DanCong, but with the body of sheung pu.... my 2 cents
Interesting. You mean it taste like ripe or raw pu?
Raw Puerh

User avatar
Oct 2nd, '08, 11:52
Posts: 83
Joined: Sep 2nd, '08, 11:34
Location: Singapore

by Fatman2 » Oct 2nd, '08, 11:52

TIM wrote:
Fatman2 wrote:
TIM wrote:It is almost like a puerh in its aging method. A tea from Hunan. Had some from the 50's and it's like honey, very sweet, think about a very well aged DanCong, but with the body of sheung pu.... my 2 cents
Interesting. You mean it taste like ripe or raw pu?
Raw Puerh
OK. Thanks. So is it worth that much? 50s mean the same vintage as a puerh red chop.

User avatar
Oct 2nd, '08, 11:59
Vendor Member
Posts: 2009
Joined: Apr 4th, '06, 15:07
Location: NYC
Contact: TIM

by TIM » Oct 2nd, '08, 11:59

Fatman2 wrote:
TIM wrote:
Fatman2 wrote:
TIM wrote:It is almost like a puerh in its aging method. A tea from Hunan. Had some from the 50's and it's like honey, very sweet, think about a very well aged DanCong, but with the body of sheung pu.... my 2 cents
Interesting. You mean it taste like ripe or raw pu?
Raw Puerh
OK. Thanks. So is it worth that much? 50s mean the same vintage as a puerh red chop.
Good Chop : ) and where did you find yours? A 50's tea or later?

User avatar
Oct 2nd, '08, 12:04
Posts: 83
Joined: Sep 2nd, '08, 11:34
Location: Singapore

by Fatman2 » Oct 2nd, '08, 12:04

TIM wrote:
Fatman2 wrote:
TIM wrote:
Fatman2 wrote:
TIM wrote:It is almost like a puerh in its aging method. A tea from Hunan. Had some from the 50's and it's like honey, very sweet, think about a very well aged DanCong, but with the body of sheung pu.... my 2 cents
Interesting. You mean it taste like ripe or raw pu?
Raw Puerh
OK. Thanks. So is it worth that much? 50s mean the same vintage as a puerh red chop.
Good Chop : ) and where did you find yours? A 50's tea or later?
Actually it is my friend who is asking from Korea. He is curious. No idea about vintage. :oops:

User avatar
Oct 2nd, '08, 12:11
Vendor Member
Posts: 2009
Joined: Apr 4th, '06, 15:07
Location: NYC
Contact: TIM

by TIM » Oct 2nd, '08, 12:11

Fatman2 wrote:
TIM wrote:
Fatman2 wrote:
TIM wrote:
Fatman2 wrote:
TIM wrote:It is almost like a puerh in its aging method. A tea from Hunan. Had some from the 50's and it's like honey, very sweet, think about a very well aged DanCong, but with the body of sheung pu.... my 2 cents
Interesting. You mean it taste like ripe or raw pu?
Raw Puerh
OK. Thanks. So is it worth that much? 50s mean the same vintage as a puerh red chop.
Good Chop : ) and where did you find yours? A 50's tea or later?
Actually it is my friend who is asking from Korea. He is curious. No idea about vintage. :oops:
90% of Chinese aged tea in Korea are fake! meaning the years and aging of the tea the vendor provide is incorrect.

User avatar
Oct 2nd, '08, 18:08
Vendor Member
Posts: 2009
Joined: Apr 4th, '06, 15:07
Location: NYC
Contact: TIM

by TIM » Oct 2nd, '08, 18:08

TomVerlain wrote:I found this by searching

Qian Liang Cha = Hunan hei cha in the form of a huge cylinder weighing roughly 40 kg, literally Thousand Tael (approx 1.3 ounce) Tea (千两茶 or 千兩茶)

there are commercial sites selling a 700g slice for $40.00 US
Here is a shot of 2 Qian Liang Cha:

Image

One is from the 40s and the other is younger, around 60s? Tasted like honey and raw vintage old puerh.

User avatar
Oct 2nd, '08, 22:19
Posts: 83
Joined: Sep 2nd, '08, 11:34
Location: Singapore

by Fatman2 » Oct 2nd, '08, 22:19

TIM wrote:
Fatman2 wrote:
TIM wrote:
Fatman2 wrote:
TIM wrote:
Fatman2 wrote:
TIM wrote:It is almost like a puerh in its aging method. A tea from Hunan. Had some from the 50's and it's like honey, very sweet, think about a very well aged DanCong, but with the body of sheung pu.... my 2 cents
Interesting. You mean it taste like ripe or raw pu?
Raw Puerh
OK. Thanks. So is it worth that much? 50s mean the same vintage as a puerh red chop.
Good Chop : ) and where did you find yours? A 50's tea or later?
Actually it is my friend who is asking from Korea. He is curious. No idea about vintage. :oops:
90% of Chinese aged tea in Korea are fake! meaning the years and aging of the tea the vendor provide is incorrect.
Yikes. Better tell my friend. Thanks.

User avatar
Oct 2nd, '08, 22:21
Posts: 83
Joined: Sep 2nd, '08, 11:34
Location: Singapore

by Fatman2 » Oct 2nd, '08, 22:21

TomVerlain wrote:I found this by searching

Qian Liang Cha = Hunan hei cha in the form of a huge cylinder weighing roughly 40 kg, literally Thousand Tael (approx 1.3 ounce) Tea (千两茶 or 千兩茶)

there are commercial sites selling a 700g slice for $40.00 US
thanks for info. so it is black tea. Looks like ripe puer in Tim's pics. Hmmmmm..... time to locate some to try. Thanks guys.

User avatar
Oct 3rd, '08, 10:05
Vendor Member
Posts: 2009
Joined: Apr 4th, '06, 15:07
Location: NYC
Contact: TIM

by TIM » Oct 3rd, '08, 10:05

Fatman2 wrote:
TomVerlain wrote:I found this by searching

Qian Liang Cha = Hunan hei cha in the form of a huge cylinder weighing roughly 40 kg, literally Thousand Tael (approx 1.3 ounce) Tea (千两茶 or 千兩茶)

there are commercial sites selling a 700g slice for $40.00 US
thanks for info. so it is black tea. Looks like ripe puer in Tim's pics. Hmmmmm..... time to locate some to try. Thanks guys.
It is not a black or ripe tea.... it looks more like a 50 years old aged raw puerh.

+ Post Reply