I love this site.......

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 16th, '08, 23:04

by tony shlongini » Oct 16th, '08, 23:04

taitea wrote:
However, if you lust for another site to read about tea, feel free to take a gander-
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=89
I don't understand. First of all, is that an entire forum dedicated to shaving? How? (Yes, I understand the irony of asking how there can be an entire forum dedicated to shaving on a forum entirely dedicated to tea). Secondly, does this mean there is a big overlap between people that are really into tea and that are really into shaving?

Am I the only one here that is finding this really strange?
Well, it's a site about high end shaving (and a whole lot more) that gets over a million hits a day. I don't think there's a connection per se between shaving and tea, but they both fall into the category of "the finer things in life", so it's not surprising to find folks interested in both, as well as a variety of other gentlemanly pursuits. We do have the good fortune of having some very knowledgeable members contributing on a regular basis. We have a few projects we're trying to get off the ground (splitting a bing six ways or so; group buys; vendor discounts) and we're currently coaxing the esteemed Hobbes into developing a pu'er primer for the masses.

If you think it's weird, you're in agreement with most of our wives, but it's a compendious source of information nonetheless. Even if you're sporting a scruffy beard, feel free to drop by and contribute to the "Sheng of the day" thread. :lol:

Oct 16th, '08, 23:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Oct 16th, '08, 23:37

tony shlongini wrote: we're currently coaxing the esteemed Hobbes into developing a pu'er primer for the masses.
Sounds like a great group. I guess "the finer things of life" will have to do as explanation.

ABx has a draft near completion of a pu primer. If you haven't seen it, PM him and he will direct you to the last version of it. It's well worth a read.

Oct 16th, '08, 23:39

by t4texas » Oct 16th, '08, 23:39

taitea wrote: Am I the only one here that is finding this really strange?
Every day when I shave, my only thought is "tea". Not true for you? I am puzzled and...well just puzzled. Maybe even shocked a little. I mean, all that lather, dodging my nose with the razor, making sure the sideburns are even and not too short, not too long, watching the blood trickled down my chin.

How can that not make you think of tea, people?

Oct 16th, '08, 23:41

by taitea » Oct 16th, '08, 23:41

I have 3 words for you:

gong fu shaving

Oct 17th, '08, 10:00

by tony shlongini » Oct 17th, '08, 10:00

t4texas wrote:
taitea wrote:Every day when I shave, my only thought is "tea". Not true for you? I am puzzled and...well just puzzled. Maybe even shocked a little. I mean, all that lather, dodging my nose with the razor, making sure the sideburns are even and not too short, not too long, watching the blood trickled down my chin.

How can that not make you think of tea, people?
Believe me, nothing wakes you up faster and commands your attention more than holding four inches of razor sharp steel freehand against your throat. You'd better not be thinking of tea, or anything else, while you're shaving. That alone creates a zenlike atmosphere not unlike that of brewing.

The site may be a shaving site, but it's primarily a group of some extremely intelligent folks who can provide impressive commentary on subjects ranging from wine to exercise, cameras to coffee, and yes, even tea. It's as much about the remaining 23.5 hours of the day as it is about the few minutes spent turning a mundane, routine task that is loathed by billions into a pleasure. It's about taking any subject and extracting the maximum from it, which is exactly what we do here with tea.

From a demographic standpoint, why would you be surprised that people like this wouldn't enjoy tea?

You'll note I haven't mentioned a word about shaving, nor am I trying to recruit anyone other than to simply mention another resource that some of you may find interesting, as its tea section is rapidly growing. If you're not interested, that's fine, as well.

Oct 18th, '08, 21:47

by chrl42 » Oct 18th, '08, 21:47

There certainly might a rule or pattern exist in tea drinking.

In Asia, (China and Korea in my experience) people are said to move over from green < oolong < puerh < yixing

Tea drinkers, usually are the one who involved in Buddhism or Taoism, or some artistic folks who write or paint, or the ones who believe they have the absolute palate(these folks often compare wine), or just might the one who seeks peace and relax in life(me). Other groups might have housewives looking for a diet or hubbies wanting to drink like a emperor but they don't fall in deeply.

But shaving, that's one unheard of..he :D

+ Post Reply