Hmmm...this is a bit strange...

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Oct 14th, '08, 12:58

by omegapd » Oct 14th, '08, 12:58

Nice pic. I gave up on the 7th infusion but knew there was still a ton left in it.

Dec 1st, '08, 01:37

by kymidwife » Dec 1st, '08, 01:37

I'm trying to get something pleasant out of my sample of this tea. I don't know if I used too much leaf or if my infusions are too long, but so far it's been fairly dreadful. I used about 4 gms in a 3 oz. yixing (is that overkill?). I did a short 15 sec. rinse first. I drank the first (about 45 sec), it wasn't great... sipped a bit of the 2nd (45 sec) and tossed it... bitter and unpleasant; tossed the 3rd (30 sec), also generally nasty, tossed the fourth (30 sec) which was the strongest and most pungent infusion of all despite not increasing steep times. Now I am hesitating on the 5th... I may have had all the fun I can stand. LOL.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Dec 1st, '08, 01:55

by PolyhymnianMuse » Dec 1st, '08, 01:55

kymidwife wrote:I'm trying to get something pleasant out of my sample of this tea. I don't know if I used too much leaf or if my infusions are too long, but so far it's been fairly dreadful. I used about 4 gms in a 3 oz. yixing (is that overkill?). I did a short 15 sec. rinse first. I drank the first (about 45 sec), it wasn't great... sipped a bit of the 2nd (45 sec) and tossed it... bitter and unpleasant; tossed the 3rd (30 sec), also generally nasty, tossed the fourth (30 sec) which was the strongest and most pungent infusion of all despite not increasing steep times. Now I am hesitating on the 5th... I may have had all the fun I can stand. LOL.

Sarah
Do you have any more of the sample. Usually 1 gram to 1 ounce of water is a good starting point so your weight isnt really overkill, although if it was too strong for you this time I would maybe try a little less than you did this time. Furthermore, you might want to try shorter infusions. A lot of people do flash infusions, especially for the first couple of infusions. See how that turns out :)

Dec 1st, '08, 12:17

by Jeremy » Dec 1st, '08, 12:17

kymidwife wrote:I'm trying to get something pleasant out of my sample of this tea. I don't know if I used too much leaf or if my infusions are too long, but so far it's been fairly dreadful. I used about 4 gms in a 3 oz. yixing (is that overkill?). I did a short 15 sec. rinse first. I drank the first (about 45 sec), it wasn't great... sipped a bit of the 2nd (45 sec) and tossed it... bitter and unpleasant; tossed the 3rd (30 sec), also generally nasty, tossed the fourth (30 sec) which was the strongest and most pungent infusion of all despite not increasing steep times. Now I am hesitating on the 5th... I may have had all the fun I can stand. LOL.

Sarah
This is only my take, but I have had better success with more tea, and shorter steeps when dealing with young and inferior puerh. for example i would use 5-7 grams in a 100ml gaiwan. And be very careful with your steeping time, taking into consideration the time it takes to fill and empty the vessel also counts as steeping time.

J

Dec 1st, '08, 13:37

by kymidwife » Dec 1st, '08, 13:37

I did a few more infusions... 5 and 10 seconds... and it became drinkable, but not particularly enjoyable. I think this one is just not for me... or my pu palate is just not well-developed enough for this young stuff.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Dec 1st, '08, 15:14

by shogun89 » Dec 1st, '08, 15:14

kymidwife wrote:I did a few more infusions... 5 and 10 seconds... and it became drinkable, but not particularly enjoyable. I think this one is just not for me... or my pu palate is just not well-developed enough for this young stuff.

Sarah
The key is to just not give up. Keep on experimenting. I dont think less leaf is a good decision as that could lead to a less complex brew. The key with young pu is lots of leaf (your fine with 4 grams) and short steeps. If it is a strong pu I will rinse twice with 10 seconds each then the first infusion will be about 10 seconds. So get some different pu's and experiment with different times.

-Shogun

Dec 1st, '08, 17:02

by PolyhymnianMuse » Dec 1st, '08, 17:02

Sarah,

Also, Not sure if you mentioned it so forgive me if i missed it, but was this cooked or green pu'erh?

Dec 1st, '08, 21:02

by kymidwife » Dec 1st, '08, 21:02

Green... 2007 Yiwu Yongpinhao Fall Harvest Pu-erh Tea Brick as discussed earlier in this thread by Omegapd, my source of the sample.

Sarah

Dec 1st, '08, 21:42

by omegapd » Dec 1st, '08, 21:42

Sorry you don't care for it much, Sarah. The fun part about Pu-erh, though, is you can store it in your cabinet and forget about it for 10 years and try it again. :wink:

Dec 1st, '08, 23:04

by kymidwife » Dec 1st, '08, 23:04

No worries, you can't like everything!

Sarah

Dec 2nd, '08, 00:14

by PolyhymnianMuse » Dec 2nd, '08, 00:14

kymidwife wrote:No worries, you can't like everything!

Sarah
Quite true, but everyone can like pu'erh :wink:

This time around it just wasnt your cuppa

Dec 2nd, '08, 15:31

by shogun89 » Dec 2nd, '08, 15:31

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:
kymidwife wrote:No worries, you can't like everything!

Sarah
Quite true, but everyone can like pu'erh :wink:

This time around it just wasnt your cuppa
+1

+ Post Reply