Awazon Sheng

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 3rd, '08, 21:40

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 3rd, '08, 21:40

shogun89 wrote:
PolyhymnianMuse wrote:
shogun89 wrote:
puerhking wrote:
shogun89 wrote:Yeah I too am looking at the brick. and this one http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Yiwu-Raw-Pu-er ... dZViewItem seems to be a good cake for the price. ???
I bought a couple of these. Mostly whole leaves....not a strong sheng. However it has some nice sheng flavors and some hui gan. I have had it for four months and new flavors have developed. I have drank this one quite a bit and think it is a solid cake especially for the price.
I am highly considering getting a tong of them. For the price. . . .
At $29.75 for 1.25 kilos of tea I think I might want one too. I wonder what shipping would end up being.
Well we should be able to get a discount for the purchase. My guess is $50-60 for the whole thing. But wouldn't it be a good idea to get 6 so you get the tong and a cake to try it so you dont destroy the tong?
I like the way you think :)
That sounds like something very do-able. I'll probably make that splurge when I save a bit more money.

Nov 3rd, '08, 21:40

by shogun89 » Nov 3rd, '08, 21:40

Actually never mind, according to their site shipping by SAL should only be about $15 before any kind of discount.

Nov 3rd, '08, 22:01

by shogun89 » Nov 3rd, '08, 22:01

I really wonder why it is soo cheap, It looks like some high quality stuff.

Nov 3rd, '08, 22:49

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 3rd, '08, 22:49

Possibly because either it is very young or maybe the fact that they are only 250g cakes... maybe they got a bargain on the quantity of them that they have... who knows. Anyone else have this cake, or any other cake from them for that matter?

Nov 3rd, '08, 23:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Nov 3rd, '08, 23:03

And now a word brought to you by
THE VOICE OF REASON, INC:

Let me just remind you two that you are buying a pig in a poke here. Why don't you just get one and divide it up to see if it is of any interest to you? Chances are pretty strong that after brewing it a few times you will decide you don't really want it any way.

I have a lot of tea I bought blind at the beginning. Someday it will likely be quite nice (I think most of our pu will age pretty gracefully), but it will probably never be my favorite and I would never have bought a whole cake if I had sampled it first.

I would guess that I purchase one cake for only one out of ten or twenty things that I sample.

(Please not that the proprietor of THE VOICE OF REASON, INC. seldom follows his own advice!)

Nov 3rd, '08, 23:11

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 3rd, '08, 23:11

Yea Sal your probably right, plus it seems like if I order one and try it and actual do want that many more I won't have to worry about them running out.

Nov 3rd, '08, 23:45

by shogun89 » Nov 3rd, '08, 23:45

The main reason I am jumping around at this is because of the price. I am guessing that I could get a whole tong at about $40. Thats pretty good. I dont know.

Nov 4th, '08, 00:30

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 4th, '08, 00:30

shogun89 wrote:The main reason I am jumping around at this is because of the price. I am guessing that I could get a whole tong at about $40. Thats pretty good. I dont know.
I'm deff putting it on my list. The price is very nice and would be great for ageing. I think I will play it safe though and only one to try first. I want to get an order of a few cakes together to try from them though.

Nov 4th, '08, 09:56

by shogun89 » Nov 4th, '08, 09:56

I just emailed him and he says it will cost $39.80 for 1 tong shipped SAL. Not bad at all. I also thought about buying just one to try but then I realized that it is going to cost $14 just to send one (using air though), so I was thinking it may be worth the extra risk.

Nov 4th, '08, 10:16

by shogun89 » Nov 4th, '08, 10:16

Heres a few other cakes that interest me. . . .
http://cgi.ebay.com/06-Guanzizai-Yiwu-A ... dZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-Yiwu-Ancient-T ... dZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/07-Awazon-Mijin-Exc ... dZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Qiaomu-Arbor-R ... dZViewItem

and PuerhKing. . . . I noticed how you said you have a few of these, I was just wondering if you could compare the flavor to any other cake. I imagine these cakes tasting very similar to that 2003 Keyixing Yiwu cake from puerh shop, probably light in flavor, smooth and well balanced. If you have tried that cake, how do they compare in flavor? Also have you tried putting more leaf in the pot for your brew to try to get more flavor? Also do the large leaves that are shown on the outside run all the way through the cake? Sorry for putting you on the spot here and asking you tons of questions, but you are really my only source of info for these cakes.
Thanks

Nov 4th, '08, 10:34

by Jeremy » Nov 4th, '08, 10:34

Salsero wrote:And now a word brought to you by
THE VOICE OF REASON, INC:

Let me just remind you two that you are buying a pig in a poke here. Why don't you just get one and divide it up to see if it is of any interest to you? Chances are pretty strong that after brewing it a few times you will decide you don't really want it any way.

I have a lot of tea I bought blind at the beginning. Someday it will likely be quite nice (I think most of our pu will age pretty gracefully), but it will probably never be my favorite and I would never have bought a whole cake if I had sampled it first.

I would guess that I purchase one cake for only one out of ten or twenty things that I sample.

(Please not that the proprietor of THE VOICE OF REASON, INC. seldom follows his own advice!)

Wasnt "pig in a poke" the name of the game show that Chevy Chase was on in vacation?

Nov 4th, '08, 14:58

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 4th, '08, 14:58

shogun89 wrote:I just emailed him and he says it will cost $39.80 for 1 tong shipped SAL. Not bad at all. I also thought about buying just one to try but then I realized that it is going to cost $14 just to send one (using air though), so I was thinking it may be worth the extra risk.
Thats interesting... I emailed too and this is what I got...

A tong: $5.95/piece x 5 pcs = $29.75
Shipping cost by SAL: +$15.30
=============================================
Total Price: US $45.05

EDIT: I just realized and remembered that these are cheaper on the price list that I got from them. So I suppose it would end up being the price that you got, the one I got would probably be going through ebay with the added fees.

Nov 4th, '08, 15:07

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 4th, '08, 15:07

shogun89 wrote:Heres a few other cakes that interest me. . . .
http://cgi.ebay.com/06-Guanzizai-Yiwu-A ... dZViewItem
I will most likely be picking up one of these too.
Is the staining of the inner ticket on this one like it is due to wet storage?

Nov 4th, '08, 15:58

by shogun89 » Nov 4th, '08, 15:58

Ahhhh, I dont know what to do. Tong or no tong. . . .

Nov 4th, '08, 16:23

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 4th, '08, 16:23

If you plan on trying a few other things from them I don't think it would be that bad in terms of shipping. Just look at the quantity they have of that cake, I don't think they will be running out soon and than atleast if you dont like it you save yourself like 30 bucks :wink:

+ Post Reply