Your first pu

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 11th, '08, 19:03

Your first pu

by cha cha cha » Nov 11th, '08, 19:03

What were your first impressions of puerh? From what I've heard, a lot of newcomers are turned off by manure-like or fishy flavor profiles. Is this something you learn to love/tolerate or do these tastes only occur in low-quality puerh?

Nov 11th, '08, 19:16

Re: Your first pu

by taitea » Nov 11th, '08, 19:16

cha cha cha wrote:From what I've heard, a lot of newcomers are turned off by manure-like or fishy flavor profiles. Is this something you learn to love/tolerate or do these tastes only occur in low-quality puerh?
That was my first experience. I didn't understand what all the hoopla was about. I realized that I just didn't like shu that much. Then I tasted young shengs and didn't understand why everyone seemed to be saying not to drink it.

Nov 11th, '08, 19:32

by thanks » Nov 11th, '08, 19:32

cha cha cha wrote:What were your first impressions of puerh? From what I've heard, a lot of newcomers are turned off by manure-like or fishy flavor profiles. Is this something you learn to love/tolerate or do these tastes only occur in low-quality puerh?
This is found in poor quality shu, or "cooked" pu'er that was most likely brewed horribly wrong to begin with. Pu'er is finicky when it comes to brewing.

Nov 11th, '08, 19:33

by wyardley » Nov 11th, '08, 19:33

Despite what a lot of folks here and in the land of Blog say (and hey - do whatever works for your body), I don't think it's a good thing, generally speaking, to drink a lot of young (< 10 year old) sheng pu'er. I'm honestly a little shocked at the amount of it that some people seem to drink. I drink it occasionally to try and figure out which teas to buy, but other than that, I rarely drink it.

Also, I think it takes a while for your body to get used to the flavors. The first time I tried a decent pu'er (I think an aged shu, but don't remember for sure), it reminded me of a farm type taste / smell... but in a positive way. It made me nostalgic for my great-grandfather's farm. I wouldn't say I loved the taste at first, but afterwards, I started craving it. Sometimes I notice that with certain teas - whether or not I appreciate it fully at the time, if I start craving a tea after having drank it, I consider that a good sign.

Nov 11th, '08, 19:52

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 11th, '08, 19:52

My first experiences, atleast with sheng pu, were that of barnyard/hay/grass types of flavors which I thought were quite interesting and that sold it for me. I still have yet to try decent aged samples of raw stuff to know what really happens with ageing but I'm slowly building up my own collection for ageing :)

Nov 11th, '08, 20:34

by shogun89 » Nov 11th, '08, 20:34

My first experience was when I ordered a Guoyan 66 classic from puerh shop. I western brewed it (eeeeekk!) but I was instantly intrigued and wanted moar, moar, moar. And ever since then I have been obsessed with tasting and learning everything. The biggest mistake of beginners is trying ripe pu first and making the second mistake of brewing it for like 5 minutes unleashing pretty much hell in a cup.

Nov 11th, '08, 20:45

by tony shlongini » Nov 11th, '08, 20:45

About ten years ago, I read about pu'er and bought some from Ten Tea in Chinatown. It was disgusting, and I never gave it another thought. Then about six months ago, a buddy sent me a sample from Hou De and Bam!

The rest is history.

Nov 11th, '08, 21:12

by puerhking » Nov 11th, '08, 21:12

I purchased some shu mini tuos at a local oriental market about three years ago. I brewed it too strong and it had that barnyard.....fish taste. I had enough experience with other teas to keep trying to brew it correctly however. Finally I got it to taste decent. That was the beginning.

Then was looking for white tea and ended up buying a white puerh from YSLLC. It continued to intrigue me. I bought some sheng, and over time, I began to really like it. Correct brewing is key. Now I just cant stop.

Nov 11th, '08, 22:36

by hop_goblin » Nov 11th, '08, 22:36

thanks wrote:
cha cha cha wrote:What were your first impressions of puerh? From what I've heard, a lot of newcomers are turned off by manure-like or fishy flavor profiles. Is this something you learn to love/tolerate or do these tastes only occur in low-quality puerh?
This is found in poor quality shu, or "cooked" pu'er that was most likely brewed horribly wrong to begin with. Pu'er is finicky when it comes to brewing.
Exactly! Unfortunately, most peoples first experience with pu are mini tuos.

Nov 11th, '08, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Nov 11th, '08, 23:33

I was lucky. In January 2007, my first pu was a small sample of something called 2004 Awazon Green Puerh from Generation Tea. It was a nice tasting young sheng -- gingery and refreshing, not excessively astringent. My notes say, "I could see how people might consider this tea cleansing, either of mind or body."

Then I got some mini-tuo of shu from China Gifts, which were actually very good (yes, some are!). I still have a couple left that I am hording.

Nov 12th, '08, 02:26

by Trioxin » Nov 12th, '08, 02:26

My first were those little crappy shu mini tuos from specialteas. God they were horrible, but they peaked my interest none the less. Glad I didn't throw in the towel after those.

Nov 12th, '08, 02:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Nov 12th, '08, 02:42

My first was Hou De - 2007 Autumn Xi-Zhi Hao "Da Shui Shan" Sun-dried Mao Cha.

And I actually like it quite a bit and even re-ordered it.

Nov 12th, '08, 05:10

by omegapd » Nov 12th, '08, 05:10

shogun89 wrote:mistake of brewing it for like 5 minutes unleashing pretty much hell in a cup.
Dude, you would so hate for me to make you a cup of tea. :lol: I don't have time for gong-fu and steep my favorite shu just like that. :wink: And love it.

EW

Nov 12th, '08, 12:03

by Robertwolf1 » Nov 12th, '08, 12:03

[quote="wyardley"]Despite what a lot of folks here and in the land of Blog say (and hey - do whatever works for your body), I don't think it's a good thing, generally speaking, to drink a lot of young (< 10 year old) sheng pu'er. I'm honestly a little shocked at the amount of it that some people seem to drink. I drink it occasionally to try and figure out which teas to buy, but other than that, I rarely drink it.

Why do you think it is not a good thing?
What is wrong with young sheng?
I am just curious because I have not tried pu yet and it seems that young is necessary if you are on a budget and want more than just samples.

+ Post Reply