Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jun 5th, '14, 22:37

Re: Official Pu of the day

by shah82 » Jun 5th, '14, 22:37

Jun 5th, '14, 22:49

by kyarazen » Jun 5th, '14, 22:49

shah82 wrote:If the xigui is the same I came into contact with, it's pretty good, but good gongfu skills are a necessity to control bitter-tart. It's not green, just a weird bitter-tart that can be obnoxious in strength.
hmm.. tempting! i love good bitters. i'll see how it is tonight.

i used to be an espresso freak and would savour every bit of the bitterness, rolling it on the tongue. yumz. after a few thousand espressos i've probably became a mutant and am rather accepting of teas with strong/good bitters.

Jun 5th, '14, 22:51

by kyarazen » Jun 5th, '14, 22:51

yeap thats the teade1000.
teadezhang has family friends in yunnan that own tea factories, that had allowed him to get some nice pressings and harvests or so.

it is reminiscent of early south east asian tea merchants, where many of the great teas were all only obtainable through "family" connections, until the chinese state government stamped down on such practices and consolidated everything into a single pipe for export.

Jun 6th, '14, 01:21

by Tead Off » Jun 6th, '14, 01:21

kyarazen wrote:
shah82 wrote:If the xigui is the same I came into contact with, it's pretty good, but good gongfu skills are a necessity to control bitter-tart. It's not green, just a weird bitter-tart that can be obnoxious in strength.
hmm.. tempting! i love good bitters. i'll see how it is tonight.

i used to be an espresso freak and would savour every bit of the bitterness, rolling it on the tongue. yumz. after a few thousand espressos i've probably became a mutant and am rather accepting of teas with strong/good bitters.
I don't find any problem with bitterness or trying to control it with the Xigui. It's a full flavored, gushu forward drink, with a satisfying thickness, mouthfeel, and huigan. This has to be the best tea I've had for 2013, bar none.

The 2013 Bingdao has some smoke in it. This is usually 'death' for me in puerh. However, with a bit of extended shaking of the first couple of brews in the teapot, the smoke receded and the flavor appears and deepens as the session continues. Gets better and better, 10-15-20 brews.

The 2013 Bangdong is also an excellent buy but only available in 150g cakes. Well worth it.

Jun 6th, '14, 01:27

by shah82 » Jun 6th, '14, 01:27

I had two tries. My first try was bitter-tart, in the same way as TU's Nahan '13. My second try is much less so, but not quite as strong in its good qualities.

The Bingdao needs breaking up and waking for a few days before drinking. If you don't, the first try will be much worse than the second.

Jun 6th, '14, 20:44

by shah82 » Jun 6th, '14, 20:44

v93 '08 good enough to mention here. Strong aromatic wood taste, with one late brew having a nice sort of fruit feeling deep in the mouth. v93 is usually not particularly good, and I wasn't expecting such a good session.

Jun 6th, '14, 20:57

by debunix » Jun 6th, '14, 20:57

Always friendly & comforting Menghai Golden Needle White Lotus puerh this afternoon...it's not as memorable or as lasting as my one Lao Ban Zhang, but it doesn't have to be.

Jun 6th, '14, 21:39

by mr mopu » Jun 6th, '14, 21:39

2011 Hai Lang Hao "AUTUMN YUAN SHENG XIANG" .
Working this one up tonight, an interesting description by the seller.
Dry leaf slight smoke and vegetal aroma.
One rinse with 10 grams in the Gaiwan. A spicy green aroma to this one.
First steep, actually 3 short ones for the cup. Brewed aroma wood and steamed vegetables.
First sip pretty stout with some tongue tingling going on. Pine and citrus seem to come to mind on this one. Very nice lively mouth-feel on this one. A nice little hit of camphor along with the other flavors dancing around. A very complex one to drink but simply enjoyable.

Jun 7th, '14, 07:51

by Tead Off » Jun 7th, '14, 07:51

2013 Lao Man E from TU. Bold and brash, but this tea settles down nicely after the first 4-5 brews to give that fermented puerh taste that I enjoy so much. Wine-like, in a way. Good energy from it.

Jun 8th, '14, 08:15

by Tead Off » Jun 8th, '14, 08:15

2013 Jiangjiatang XiLe, gushu. A soft, smooth, and very tasty drink that gets better and better as the drinking progresses. There is almost a carrot flavor in the fermented tea flavor. Felt in the chest & gut. Good huigan and a very bright energy from the tea.

Jun 8th, '14, 10:35

by kyarazen » Jun 8th, '14, 10:35

brewing up a 07 LBZ again. was at a "tea party" yesterday where the same 07 LBZ was brewed up by a tea master. amazing and unforgettable! so with some tips and tricks from the tea master.. its time to experiment with it myself.

Jun 8th, '14, 21:46

by mr mopu » Jun 8th, '14, 21:46

Having a Hai Lang Hao 2013 “Zhu Jiu” from Yunnan Sourcing.
Ordered a sample of this to try on my last order.
I broke out 11 grams for the Gaiwan. Went with a 5 second rinse to wake up the leaf . It is flora land aromatic after the rinse. Did 3 quick 5 second steeps for the big mug for this one. Color is a bit lighter than I expected, more like the color of a newer tea. Avery thick tea with a decent shot of bitterness.
Quite potent with hints of pepper , wood camphor and a bit of the saltiness that some shengs can give.
It really opened me up to some deep breathing about halfway through the cup. Nice Huigan on this one. Tongue tingle goes a bit after drinking this one for a while. Some hints of apple in this one also. Very nice tea. Sweetness at the end.

Jun 8th, '14, 22:11

by debunix » Jun 8th, '14, 22:11

2006 Purple Hainan from Norbu--first time I pulled out this cake in a while. I filled my little Petr Novak 'Phoenix' shiboridashi--poor little thing has been woefully neglected since the treebark came home and took over most puerh brewing. I think this one may need to go to work to get more use.

The tea hasn't changed much while sitting in drawer and trunk--still a lot of smoky/stinky funk at the start, but after some time, the lasting sweet flavor that goes on and on.

Jun 9th, '14, 09:56

by gasninja » Jun 9th, '14, 09:56

I figured out the secret method of getting into a Douji cake without destroying the wrapper via there Giant sticker wrapper destroying security system. I simply used a hair dryer and a nail file. I believe this (2010 Douji Hong Da Dou )is my first Douji cake that will not end up wrapped in a spare Sunsing wrapper. it is really sad when they come wrapped so nice to then have to tear the wrapper trying to get the sticker off.

Jun 9th, '14, 11:37

by shah82 » Jun 9th, '14, 11:37

Now the Douji faking begins...

+ Post Reply