Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jul 1st, '17, 09:15

Re: Official Pu of the day

by Xeractha » Jul 1st, '17, 09:15

I tasted my 2005 Lao Tong Zhi (Yellow label) again. I stored it at 65% RH for 2,5 months and it's way better than it was. I suppose Kunming storage during winter and early spring doesn't do any good for shu. When I received the tea it tasted flat, thin (?) and wasn't even close to the sample I tasted last year. Now it's just how I like it (or better).

Jul 3rd, '17, 06:13

by kuánglóng » Jul 3rd, '17, 06:13

2016 Yunnan Sourcing "Big Snow Mountain" Wild Arbor (4g/65ml)

Sipping some of this wild nectar right now and like Scott said in his description this is one pungent sheng with surprisingly strong cha qi that hit me right after the first small cup.
Tastewise there's not too much to report; something like a well balanced not to complex generic Lincang profile with some undefined florals, a wee bit of unripe apricots shining through the underlying honey sweetness here and there but sometimes this is all it needs, the nice throatiness and wild, powerful qi take care of the rest :)

Jul 3rd, '17, 18:34

by stevorama » Jul 3rd, '17, 18:34

Interesting comparison of a 1999 Zhong Cha sheng and a 2003 Hong Tai Chang shou. The sheng was humid stored and seemed perhaps at or past it's prime. It mainly offered viscosity with a smooth mouth and throat feel. Drinking that tea I'm reminded that shou pu er was developed to emulate a sheng like this. The shou was very comparable, a far more interesting tea, and a 1/3 of the price of the sheng.

Jul 4th, '17, 02:50

by Rui » Jul 4th, '17, 02:50

Today I am imposing my fellow tea colleagues at work the mild and lightly sweet taste of the 2016 Nan Nuo sheng from Chawangshop.

Together with their Hekai (about which Cwyn has just written an excellent article in her blog) they are my favourite 2016 teas from this web shop of the ones I have sipped so far.

Jul 5th, '17, 02:54

by Rui » Jul 5th, '17, 02:54

2016 Forest Bridge (Jingmai) gushu from Caj Chai in Barcelona. A very aromatic tea.

Jul 5th, '17, 09:35
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 5th, '17, 09:35

Just received a 2016 Liming 7540 and a 2014 100g sheng tuo (Liming). Both have been stored very dry in Kunming and will need some waking up. I feel Dayi tea is more aromatic, so let's see how this tea smells in a few months!

Jul 6th, '17, 02:16

by Frisbeehead » Jul 6th, '17, 02:16

jayinhk wrote: Just received a 2016 Liming 7540 and a 2014 100g sheng tuo (Liming). Both have been stored very dry in Kunming and will need some waking up. I feel Dayi tea is more aromatic, so let's see how this tea smells in a few months!
Did you pick those up locally in HK, Jay? I'd like to try more of Liming's offerings after really enjoying this 901 from 2007. I haven't seen much at any of the usual puerh vendors though.

After I get back from Germany, I feel I will begin a tirade of puerh purchasing :twisted: I have so many cakes on my wish list, starting with your 03-05 7542.

Jul 6th, '17, 06:02
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 6th, '17, 06:02

Frisbeehead wrote:
jayinhk wrote: Just received a 2016 Liming 7540 and a 2014 100g sheng tuo (Liming). Both have been stored very dry in Kunming and will need some waking up. I feel Dayi tea is more aromatic, so let's see how this tea smells in a few months!
Did you pick those up locally in HK, Jay? I'd like to try more of Liming's offerings after really enjoying this 901 from 2007. I haven't seen much at any of the usual puerh vendors though.

After I get back from Germany, I feel I will begin a tirade of puerh purchasing :twisted: I have so many cakes on my wish list, starting with your 03-05 7542.
No, these are from a dealer in Guangdong, actually! I have a bunch more Liming cakes and tuos coming in--looking for tea worth storing. These two aren't as aromatic as I was hoping for so I won't buy more of them unless they show me they have promise! It's possible that they just need time to wake up after sitting in cartons in dry warehouses.

I have a HK dry storage '04 7542 that is really very nice indeed. A fair bit more expensive than the '03-'05 but has been stored beautifully. Not even a hint of humid storage flavor to it. Brews up nice and red and is only mildly bitter and astringent with origin character! I also have an '07 CNNP 88 Qing Bing remake that is really very nice, and cheaper than the '03-'05 (Guangdong dry storage). Both going up once I get around to it!

Jul 8th, '17, 01:56
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 8th, '17, 01:56

Tried out a few 2016 FarmerLeaf samples today--the Nannuo and the Jingmai Miyun. FarmerLeaf's teas seem to be light, but clean and complex. I find myself wanting more punch; I suspect the lack of fertilizer makes these teas lighter as far as intensity, but they are really unique as far as the flavors they provide. IMO these teas are nice to drink now, but long term, I suspect there wouldn't be much to them. They are, however, great examples of terroir from their regions with surprising complexity and range you might not find with punchier stuff from fertilized trees and bushes. No ill effects from this tea at all, either, and very easy on the tummy.

I much prefer the Nannuo and found the aroma and fragrance alluring. The Jingmai also has a lovely flavor, but it is even lighter than the Nannuo, which is already at a 3/10 for intensity. The Nannuo had light cha qi, too, which was nice. I would recommend these teas to someone who wants a clean, light, daily drinker for right now! While I do enjoy these boutique productions, I prefer to buy more intense stuff for long term aging. I wouldn't want to drink some of my factory stuff now, that's for sure, but I could drink the FarmerLeaf stuff every day!

Jul 8th, '17, 04:42

by kuánglóng » Jul 8th, '17, 04:42

jayinhk wrote: Tried out a few 2016 FarmerLeaf samples today--the Nannuo and the Jingmai Miyun.
I wouldn't want to drink some of my factory stuff now, that's for sure, but I could drink the FarmerLeaf stuff every day!
Seconded. I've sampled basically anything William had on offer for some years and bought dozens of his cakes. Almost all of those teas, especially his own productions are on the brighter, more airy and elegant, clean and often greener side of the spectrum, like in a class of their own and downright antipodian to heavy, dark and pungent humid aged factory stuff (something I wouldn't want to drink 24/7 either).

With regards to aging though I'm having a close eye on Williams own productions, especially the rather greenish and somehow un-jingmai-ish (if that makes sense :lol: ) Miyun. Over here these cakes went through an almost turbulent phase for a couple months, initially I thought they took a steep downhill turn with dominant grassy and hay-ish notes, but I've sampled some last week and everything looks much better now. Some other teas I bought from him (DXS, Jingmai, Jinggu, Mangfei, ...) are aging along just fine but looking forward I'll probably drink more or most of William's own shengs while they're still young and fresh.

Jul 8th, '17, 09:30
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 8th, '17, 09:30

kuánglóng wrote:
jayinhk wrote: Tried out a few 2016 FarmerLeaf samples today--the Nannuo and the Jingmai Miyun.
I wouldn't want to drink some of my factory stuff now, that's for sure, but I could drink the FarmerLeaf stuff every day!
Seconded. I've sampled basically anything William had on offer for some years and bought dozens of his cakes. Almost all of those teas, especially his own productions are on the brighter, more airy and elegant, clean and often greener side of the spectrum, like in a class of their own and downright antipodian to heavy, dark and pungent humid aged factory stuff (something I wouldn't want to drink 24/7 either).

With regards to aging though I'm having a close eye on Williams own productions, especially the rather greenish and somehow un-jingmai-ish (if that makes sense :lol: ) Miyun. Over here these cakes went through an almost turbulent phase for a couple months, initially I thought they took a steep downhill turn with dominant grassy and hay-ish notes, but I've sampled some last week and everything looks much better now. Some other teas I bought from him (DXS, Jingmai, Jinggu, Mangfei, ...) are aging along just fine but looking forward I'll probably drink more or most of William's own shengs while they're still young and fresh.
Oh, I meant I wouldn't want to drink new factory stuff now! ;) I could easily drink humid storage pu erh every day if I had to, but I do like variety! Young classic raw cakes? Heck no! Although they can be tamed with cooler brewing and then left to age, if really necessary...

Hey, his stuff might age well and I could be entirely wrong!

The Miyun is definitely different from standard Jingmai and while it still has a little Jingmai character, there's a lot more to it. I really enjoyed the flavor. Rather unique. The Nannuo was too!

I tend to get a little great maocha every year and I would rank WIlliam's teas as worthy of regular drinking because it is so different. I need to try more of his stuff!

Jul 9th, '17, 16:18

by kuánglóng » Jul 9th, '17, 16:18

2011 Canton Bulang [YS production]

This stuff has matured a bit since I got it, interesting and dynamic with good oomph, kuwei, minerals and endurance. Gentle calming qi, the effects on the throat can be felt long after finishing a cup and there's some deep aftertaste that covers the whole cavity ... not bad at all.

Jul 13th, '17, 04:25

by Rui » Jul 13th, '17, 04:25

2010 Chen Sheng Hao Yiwu. Mild and sweet flavour and a very nice aroma.

Jul 15th, '17, 11:46

by gasninja » Jul 15th, '17, 11:46

I got samples of all of EOTs 2017 cakes in the mail today. I immediately threw 7 grams of secret Forrest ancient I'm 120ml gaiwan. I am very impressed with the teas performance. Especially given that it has had zero time to get over it's jetlag. This tea really coats the mouth and slides down your throat. Those are very good Indicator s of high quality leaf. It feels very pure. Almost no bitterness. I imagine some of the my 2004 yan qing hao taste g similar to this when young.

Jul 15th, '17, 14:25

by stevorama » Jul 15th, '17, 14:25

Drank a satisfying selection of teas over the past few days. Nothing too fancy, except for the Mu Yu, and all Bu Lang region, except for the Big Classic.

2013 Theasophie Mu Yu shu puer
2006 Chang Tai Hao Tian Xia Tong An sheng puer
2009 Big Classic Remote Mountain shu puer
2005 (2015) Chawangpu Bulang Shan Old Tree

+ Post Reply