Can you drink 2008 Sheng

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 25th, '08, 10:23

Re: 2nd Post

by Jeremy » Nov 25th, '08, 10:23

kimble22 wrote:First of all, I'm sorry to have upset anyone, but I am glad to have roused a fiery discussion. I realize there are plenty of reasons for buying puerh; I was posting my short experiences in hopes of casting some light or offering a different perspective than the ones I most commonly see.

Briefly, for disclosure, I had been a mildly successful trader at GS, but was laid off last week, and I was looking at my 3 year supply of sheng, and decided to post.

I would like to become a contributing member of the community as I truly believe there is a lot to be gained (not only can we scour more cakes together, but we can trade samples, or even meet for tea). I may have come off as condescending, but if anything I was also questioning my own actions.

Someone extrapolated my comments to imply that I thought Menghai was a start-up, which is not the case. I will offer that Menghai has suffered in quality lately especially post 2005, and even a novice like me a can tell the difference. Also the Hawaiian factory is in fact one that I like a lot. I guess my main point was just to be careful about buying new cakes and that skepticism is a virtue. Just think about the risk/reward, you don't think the Chinese have found a way to turn out tea shrubs with big leaves and veins, so they can package it as ancient tree from Yiwu picked at 1600 m? I mean farmers poisoned their own milk so that they could make more money! (Plus this might be its own thread but I have a rather smoky tasting 80 dollar cake, and I swear to god when I was breaking it apart I found a cigarette but in it!)

BTW, this is long-winded and rambling so I'm going to save some ammo for a another post ;-)

Thanks for all the welcomes!
So you are also in the city? Sorry I misquoted your claims about menghai, but your post was indeed incidiary.

Nov 25th, '08, 15:08

by Jeremy » Nov 25th, '08, 15:08

I just realized after all of the debate why I started this thread. It was because I didnt like most of the menghai 2008 samples that I had

Nov 25th, '08, 18:11

by thanks » Nov 25th, '08, 18:11

Jeremy wrote:I just realized after all of the debate why I started this thread. It was because I didnt like most of the menghai 2008 samples that I had
Which ones did you try? I only don't like the 8582 (well a great deal at least).

Also Kimble, I agree with most if not all of your views. I understand your position, and once again sorry for the less than warm welcome, but I assure you I'm normally a nice guy! Haha. Regardless, once again welcome and we hope you stick around!

Nov 25th, '08, 18:36

by shogun89 » Nov 25th, '08, 18:36

I cant believe you didnt like the '08 8582, I thought it was great! (for the price) I highly considered buying a tong.

Nov 25th, '08, 19:51

by Manatoa » Nov 25th, '08, 19:51

When it comes to harsh or bitter young sheng, brewing style can make all the difference. Some new pu'erh can be somewhat unpleasant drink gongfu style but makes excellent tea brewed in the occidental style especially if the brewing water is under 180F. This can also be a nice way to "look behind" the harsh bitter or smoky tastes that hide a tea's gentler and subtler flavours.

I mostly buy tea to age, but it is nice to be able to enjoy them now too.

Nov 25th, '08, 20:35

by shogun89 » Nov 25th, '08, 20:35

Manatoa wrote:When it comes to harsh or bitter young sheng, brewing style can make all the difference.
Absolutely. I havent had a tea yet that I could not adjust brewing techniques to it to make it smooth and good. I hate to keep repeating myself on this, but the 8582 is a strong bitter cake but if brewed carefully can be smooth sweet and balanced.

Nov 25th, '08, 20:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Nov 25th, '08, 20:38

shogun89 wrote: the 8582 is a strong bitter cake but if brewed carefully can be smooth sweet and balanced.
Details, details, must have details!

Nov 25th, '08, 20:57

by shogun89 » Nov 25th, '08, 20:57

Salsero wrote:
shogun89 wrote: the 8582 is a strong bitter cake but if brewed carefully can be smooth sweet and balanced.
Details, details, must have details!
I cant speak too much of it as I only had one sample from the pass and it was a month ago so, I'll give it a go.

Brewed 5 grams in 130 ml. yixing.
2 rinses to get ride of some bitterness.
1st-10s
2nd-12s
3rd-6th-25s
Had a nice strong smell to it, not too floral but more woody with slight smoke. The taste was smooth with some astringency. The flavor was good coating the mouth with little dryness. Had a fairly long huigan. A nice sweetness followed after swallowing. Overall a very nice tea for the price, Very strong but the smoothness and good balance of the liqueur makes up for it. I would buy again and plan on it.

sorry I cant provide more but its been soo long and I only had one session.

Nov 25th, '08, 21:33

by thanks » Nov 25th, '08, 21:33

Shogun, I've had older 8582 that I found to be absolutely delicious. However new I didn't care for it too much as it was a very finicky brewer. You are right, you have to be careful or it'll turn on you. When brewed careful it does turn sweet and thick, but had I not known how this recipe usually ages I wouldn't give it a second thought. Just goes to show you how much any of us know about aging. I thought the 7582 was much better, but since I've been unable to track down a sample of an older 7582 for the life of me, I don't know which one I'd most likely prefer aged. I'm still buying some (maybe a tong) of the 8582 before the year's out.

Nov 25th, '08, 22:07

by Manatoa » Nov 25th, '08, 22:07

shogun89 wrote:
Had a nice strong smell to it, not too floral but more woody with slight smoke. The taste was smooth with some astringency. The flavor was good coating the mouth with little dryness. Had a fairly long huigan. A nice sweetness followed after swallowing. Overall a very nice tea for the price, Very strong but the smoothness and good balance of the liqueur makes up for it. I would buy again and plan on it.

Sounds like a good cake. I'm figuring out an order with Scott and I think I'll try one. Strength is the first thing I look for in a tea. I've had cakes that tasted really weird when they were young that grew up to be great. I have some '99 7542 that tasted like a soup made of heavily smoked spinach when it was new. Now it's rich, woody, and musky. The smoke is almost gone and the vegetal character left a few years ago.

As long as it isn't hugely bitter and doesn't taste rubbery, almost any really strong cake will do (for me).

Nov 25th, '08, 22:30

by orguz » Nov 25th, '08, 22:30

TomVerlain wrote: Papal Dictum time: "Do what thou whilst shall be the whole of the law"
I could be totally wrong but wasn't this phrase coined by Alistair Crowley that british druid bloke.

Nov 25th, '08, 22:42

by shogun89 » Nov 25th, '08, 22:42

Manatoa wrote:
shogun89 wrote:

Sounds like a good cake. I'm figuring out an order with Scott and I think I'll try one. Strength is the first thing I look for in a tea. I've had cakes that tasted really weird when they were young that grew up to be great. I have some '99 7542 that tasted like a soup made of heavily smoked spinach when it was new. Now it's rich, woody, and musky. The smoke is almost gone and the vegetal character left a few years ago.

As long as it isn't hugely bitter and doesn't taste rubbery, almost any really strong cake will do (for me).
Based on description you should really like that cake.

Nov 26th, '08, 00:26

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 26th, '08, 00:26

orguz wrote:
TomVerlain wrote: Papal Dictum time: "Do what thou whilst shall be the whole of the law"
I could be totally wrong but wasn't this phrase coined by Alistair Crowley that british druid bloke.
I don't know if he coined a specific phrase along those lines, but that is a very key idea of the Golden Dawn and the like, so it deff has some relation.

+ Post Reply