Drink Wet Storage Pu-erh not healthy??

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 3rd, '09, 01:15

Drink Wet Storage Pu-erh not healthy??

by hikochi » Apr 3rd, '09, 01:15

Just stumble upon this statement

Wet Storage Pu-erh - Wet storage is to store Sheng Pu-erh, Mao Cha (compressed later), or scientifically Wo Dui aged Pu-erh in a more than 80% relative humidity environment in order to speed up the aging. This post-fermentation is also called "aspergillus post-fermentation". We do not carry this type of Pu-erh as they are not healthy to drink.

Can any tea expert shed some light on this :) ?

Apr 3rd, '09, 01:42
Vendor Member

Re: Drink Wet Storage Pu-erh not healthy??

by TIM » Apr 3rd, '09, 01:42

hikochi wrote:Just stumble upon this statement

Wet Storage Pu-erh - Wet storage is to store Sheng Pu-erh, Mao Cha (compressed later), or scientifically Wo Dui aged Pu-erh in a more than 80% relative humidity environment in order to speed up the aging. This post-fermentation is also called "aspergillus post-fermentation". We do not carry this type of Pu-erh as they are not healthy to drink.

I am glad to know whoever said: "We do not carry this type of Pu-erh as they are not healthy to drink...." Because there is one more new internet tea vendor out of my list and can be ignore. That statement called out the misinformed and lack of tea knowledge of a new seller, which have no idea what puerh or "tea" is about. But the goal of making that sell of some new 2nd class raw whatever to you is more important then the facts. Just my 2 cent.

Apr 3rd, '09, 02:08

by wyardley » Apr 3rd, '09, 02:08

I think also that their idea of what constitutes 'wet storage' is wrong, or at least over-simplification - 80% in and of itself isn't the issue -- the tea can probably handle short term spikes much higher than that. The issue is sustained storage in overly humid, non-ventilated environments, or intentionally spraying tea with water to speed up the aging process. Some people like the results of that; others don't.

There are already a lot of discussions on the forum and elsewhere about storage, wet or otherwise, so have a look around.
For starters, check out Marshaln's bit on it here:
http://marshaln.xanga.com/682032582/wha ... t-storage/

also:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p=98975 (do a Google search for site:teachat.com wet storage and you'll probably get some more results)
http://www.teadrunk.org/viewtopic.php?id=20

As to whether it's unhealthy or not, I think that's still up for debate, but millions of Cantonese seem to be hanging in there, wet-stored pu'er or not, and tea that's wet-stored (by the definition above, at least) describes most tea in the long history of pu'er tea, so I think we'd know if it were really unhealthy. I would say if there's nothing too weird growing on it (besides those little white mold specks), it's probably safe to drink.

Apr 3rd, '09, 08:34

by hop_goblin » Apr 3rd, '09, 08:34

Tim and Wyardley are correct. I wonder if the vendor really meant 'pen shui' type pu.

Apr 3rd, '09, 14:10

by MarshalN » Apr 3rd, '09, 14:10

Who is this vendor? I'd love to tell them how wrong they are. They've obviously never heard of the fact that Hong Kong has one of the world's highest life expectancy, and probably also one of the highest rate of consumption of wet stored puerh in the general population. Two of the other places on this, Macau and Singapore, are also relatively heavy consumers of wet stored puerh, especially Macau.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... 2rank.html

This sort of claim is just utter BS.

Apr 3rd, '09, 15:56

by wyardley » Apr 3rd, '09, 15:56

MarshalN wrote:Who is this vendor? I'd love to tell them how wrong they are.
It's pretty easy to find if you search for some of the text in the quote:
http://www.teahub.com/revealpuerh.htm#classification

Apr 3rd, '09, 18:16

by MarshalN » Apr 3rd, '09, 18:16

That's..... nice

Apr 3rd, '09, 20:48

by sp1key » Apr 3rd, '09, 20:48

TomVerlain wrote:hmmmm

per their website, I have been doing it all wrong !!

Brewing Instruction: Apply 5 g to a Gai Wan, wash tea for one and a half minutes, then add 50 times water and brew for 20 seconds.
thats crazy! I'm glad you're doing it all wrong tom :twisted:

Apr 3rd, '09, 21:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Apr 3rd, '09, 21:11

Silly people, surely you know you'll lose far more weight if you do it that way.

Apr 3rd, '09, 22:32

by hop_goblin » Apr 3rd, '09, 22:32

Proinsias wrote:Silly people, surely you know you'll lose far more weight if you do it that way.

:lol:

Apr 5th, '09, 05:40

by yee » Apr 5th, '09, 05:40

Wodui is a stage of shou puers production it has no contact to aging tea and also used in other chinese black teas(for example Lu Bao) production. They dont age black pu erh tea. And for you to know: Climat in china is diffirent from climat in USA and in some places it can be higher than 90%.

Apr 5th, '09, 10:20

by hop_goblin » Apr 5th, '09, 10:20

yee wrote:

Wodui is a stage of shou puers production it has no contact to aging tea and also used in other chinese black teas(for example Lu Bao) production. They dont age black pu erh tea. And for you to know: Climat in china is diffirent from climat in USA and in some places it can be higher than 90%.
I suppose you have never been to Houston at summer time! Miserable!

Apr 5th, '09, 13:09

by edkrueger » Apr 5th, '09, 13:09

hop_goblin wrote:
yee wrote:

I suppose you have never been to Houston at summer time! Miserable!
No kidding! Houston stays about at 100% for most of summer.

+ Post Reply