Shu or old sheng?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 28th, '09, 13:46

by teaskeptic » Apr 28th, '09, 13:46

At around the 9th infusion I had to start going for longish infusions.

Apr 28th, '09, 13:53

by coloradopu » Apr 28th, '09, 13:53

why do you say it was not stored well

i see no white or mold maybe stored dry but not badly: nothing a little care in self-storage would not fix. and if it were 30+ then would you not expect to see the leaf in that condition? and the soup color and overall leaf color dry and wet. if sheng is stored for log times does it not wind up looking like this. and if at the end it gets stored dry does it not lose some of its qi. along with other taste.

just want too know ....new you know.

lots of ideas :roll:

Apr 28th, '09, 14:04

by teaskeptic » Apr 28th, '09, 14:04

coloradopu, I was also wondering what made hop_goblin say it wasn't stored well just by looking at the picture. I'm not sure what it is in the picture that would indicate that...

The shop I bought it from had it stored in a big sealed glass jar that was lying on a table. Chances are the shop is extremely dry, especially in the winter. This is the type of shop that stores everything that way... even their "fresh" greens.

Like I mentioned, the energy of the tea seems a bit dull. I'm not sure what the connection between wet/dry storage and qi is. My guess is that either of the extremes for long enough time will kill it.

Apr 28th, '09, 14:17

by coloradopu » Apr 28th, '09, 14:17

interesting I would think that wet store might bring back the qi but if it is truly dead it might need a little help from a friend. :P
what form was it in ?all broken in the jar? cuz im thinking log now. it seems that the inner portion of large forms seem to ferment more than the outside and this could be part of the whole show.

Apr 28th, '09, 14:27

by teaskeptic » Apr 28th, '09, 14:27

coloradopu wrote: what form was it in ?all broken in the jar?
Yes. Broken into chunks as it appears in the photo.

Apr 28th, '09, 14:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Dizzwave » Apr 28th, '09, 14:55

teaskeptic wrote:At around the 9th infusion I had to start going for longish infusions.
That's a pretty good sign that it's sheng, in my experience. I don't see many shus go that far.

Apr 28th, '09, 15:30

by thanks » Apr 28th, '09, 15:30

Looks like it's definitely sheng, and around 10 years old. I've had a lot of wet stored 7 year old teas that look like this, though.

Apr 28th, '09, 19:25

by coloradopu » Apr 28th, '09, 19:25

o.k. so its sheng but i still do not think it was wet stored. the 9 year old i have has a white dust threw and threw not something you get on the outside with age it goes all the way threw when wet stored. when dry the leaf turns no? and when a large form it turns sooner no?

teaskeptic? how much was in the jar how big a jar :?:

Apr 28th, '09, 20:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Apr 28th, '09, 20:03

The term 'wet storage' covers quite a range of conditions. Are we talking a slightly humid climate or hoses and heaters?

Apr 28th, '09, 20:22

by hop_goblin » Apr 28th, '09, 20:22

Proinsias wrote:The term 'wet storage' covers quite a range of conditions. Are we talking a slightly humid climate or hoses and heaters?
Hoses and heaters is called "Pin Shui" different from wet storage.

I think it is poorly done because of the level of decomposition of the leaves. But then again, its a picture.

Apr 28th, '09, 21:54

by coloradopu » Apr 28th, '09, 21:54

hay hop should we not expect some sort of decompost over 10-20 years even in dry or low RH and yes even more in high RH and complete decay with a hose :oops:

any who i still stand by large prep being the culprit log or something that is old and was dry.
more and more i think about it i want some

please sr. would you trade for some more info too!! please sr.

Apr 28th, '09, 23:58

by hop_goblin » Apr 28th, '09, 23:58

coloradopu wrote:hay hop should we not expect some sort of decompost over 10-20 years even in dry or low RH and yes even more in high RH and complete decay with a hose :oops:

any who i still stand by large prep being the culprit log or something that is old and was dry.
more and more i think about it i want some

please sr. would you trade for some more info too!! please sr.
Well, in terms of dry stored, the leaves can be glossy and lively looking. And no, no decompostition. This is generally taken as a sign of proper storage.

Wet stored sheng doesn't have too look like a dried piece of leather. the surface when wet stored is done correctly, (rotation and aeration) can be almost just a lovely. What I mean, is that just because it is wet stored doesnt mean it has to have white frost or clear signs of humidity. It also depends on the level of humidity that was applied and for how long.

Apr 29th, '09, 02:03

by coloradopu » Apr 29th, '09, 02:03

It also depends on the level of humidity that was applied and for how long.
exactly and IMHO better storage is lower RH for longer time. you know closer to dry or no humidity. but not to close it might die sort of ICU type thing just keeping it alive. a shot in the arm every so often and then back down.

i figure if the tea in question is old it might have been kept this way not with RH so high to speed up age before its time giving you
What I mean, is that just because it is wet stored doesn’t mean it has to have white frost or clear signs of humidity
as was said
The shop I bought it from had it stored in a big sealed glass jar that was lying on a table. Chances are the shop is extremely dry, especially in the winter. This is the type of shop that stores everything that way... even their "fresh" greens.
but how long was it in the shop in that state??? :?:

and a another clue

Posted: Apr 27th '09 8:20 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, after drinking this tea twice, all I can confirm is that it is sheng that underwent some wet storage, or it's pretty good shu. My guess is it was probably wet stored somewhere in China, then brought here where it was probably not stored very well.

It has that sweet taste of damp mud/earth, but it's not excessive like it normally is with the shu I have tasted. It also seems to be missing some energy. As you can see from the photo, I didn't use very much leaf because I wasn't yet sure what I was dealing with. I will have to try it again with more leaf.
so as with some old stuff a larger amount is needed tea to water that is but as with some old stuff the qi just an't all that but the taste profile is.

boy this is fun teaskeptic one of the great things about pu that when learning one can learn even more but i fear we will not get the whole truth about the pic because of the source of the tea one can still only guess.

Apr 29th, '09, 21:09

by teaskeptic » Apr 29th, '09, 21:09

coloradopu wrote:
but how long was it in the shop in that state??? :?:
I have no idea. I'll try to get more details the next time I'm in the area.

Jul 29th, '09, 02:38

Re: Shu or old sheng?

by coloradopu » Jul 29th, '09, 02:38

still waiting what about you

info man

+ Post Reply