Penang Tea Session, May 2009

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 19th, '09, 12:49

Penang Tea Session, May 2009

by Jedi » May 19th, '09, 12:49

I think it was the first ever TeaChat GTG in Malaysia. Presumptious, I know, but one can always hope.

Anyhow, a bunch of us, three to be exact, and some tag-alongs, met up in the Pear of the Orient, the island of Penang, Malaysia, to chat and of course, drink some Pu Erh. The TeaChatters comprised myself, Oldmanteapot, and Pgho. My wife and some friends from Australia were also along for the ride. We were graciously hosted by Mr Khor, a tea master and vendor, at his shop... (embarrassed I am, for I have forgotten the name of Mr Khor's shop... Oldman, help us out here!!!). This is just the kick-off post as I'm sure Oldmanteapot and Pgho will chime in soon.

I took some pictures and here is the link , as I can't seem to get the pics to display directly into the post...

I went home with a tong of 2003 1st batch Da Yi Menghai old tree sheng beeng. After a few years, it's looking strong, with the tea broth exhibiting colours and fragrances of much older teas, while remaining lively on the palate with powerful smooth flavours, and having to yet lose its mild astringency, with plenty of swirling Qi. One to keep for sure.

The tuo was also interesting and I'm not quite sure why I didn't get any, but I did bring home a brick of the 1980s 7581 to experience.

Well, that's it for now, I'm sure Oldman and Pg will add their thoughts, especially on the teas. We never got 'round to trying Pg's 10 year old Yi Wu, but there's always next time!!!!....

May 19th, '09, 21:53

by Jedi » May 19th, '09, 21:53

It's even better value if you buy in bulk!!

At another store in Kuala Lumpur, there is some "Yunnan Pu Erh Thé Chinois" dating from the early 80s for about RM350 each, or US99, per brick!! After researching prices, I think we're quote fortunate here in Malaysia.

May 19th, '09, 22:32

Re: Penang Tea Session, May 2009

by oldmanteapot » May 19th, '09, 22:32

Jedi wrote: Oldman, help us out here!!!). This is just the kick-off post as I'm sure Oldmanteapot and Pgho will chime in soon.
The name of the place is Hone Jia Trading.

Ooohhh yeah... the 301 Hwang Dayi is a tea to be reckoned with. Very strong and potent too. The lingering aftertaste and qi is among the best I've come across for that price! Definitely worth keeping. The next in line would be the year 2000 Hong Ying Tie Beng (Red Mark Iron Beng) which is also another award winning pu'erh.
Jedi wrote:The tuo was also interesting and I'm not quite sure why I didn't get any, but I did bring home a brick of the 1980s 7581 to experience.
The 1999 Xiaguan Tou was mildly fragrant, though if steeped for a longer period, it will bring out more of the aroma and qi. I would consider it as an everyday tea. My guess is you were too overwhelmed with the available selection of high quality tea available there. The 1980s 7581 Brick was a bonus from his personal stash!... Not many left...

The 1990s Sheng Beng mentioned in your picture is the Yea Sheng Lao Cha Beng (Wild). I'll put up a picture soon.

Overall, we had a great session together. Yes.. next will be the 90s Yiwu.. hehehe..

Not to mention Jedi's wife also went home happy with her Hei Sha LongDan teapot. The left teapot is a ZiNi, or purple zhuni and the one on the right is a HeiSha with a little mix of HongNi in it.

Oh yar.. the 1930s basket is the SYS LiuAn... not LiuBao... Mr. Khor has promptly promised us a round of that tea on our next visit... so.. looks like we're up for another round soon.

That's all for now.

Cheers!!
Last edited by oldmanteapot on May 20th, '09, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.

May 19th, '09, 23:07

by Jedi » May 19th, '09, 23:07

I thought I 'ordered' 7 of the Tuo's... oh well, as we keep saying... "Next time!" I was going to expose them to some warmer conditions for speedier aging as they looked like they had some catching up to do after being dry stored in rather cool (air conditioned) conditions for a while.

Yes, Oldman is quite the teapot expert. I believe I have much to learn from him.

I still haven't cracked the 7581 yet... maybe in a couple of weeks after letting it 're-vitalise'.

May 19th, '09, 23:38

by oldmanteapot » May 19th, '09, 23:38

Jedi wrote:Yes, Oldman is quite the teapot expert. I believe I have much to learn from him.
Hey... don't table me here... ahahaha... I dare not claim to be an expert in this... still plenty to learn out there...

Looking forward to next round! Hopefully, we would have more friends or teachatters come join us.

Cheers!!

:D

May 20th, '09, 00:17

Re: Penang Tea Session, May 2009

by oldmanteapot » May 20th, '09, 00:17

Hi all,
Jedi wrote:...2003 1st batch Da Yi Menghai old tree sheng beeng. After a few years, it's looking strong, with the tea broth exhibiting colours and fragrances of much older teas, while remaining lively on the palate with powerful smooth flavours, and having to yet lose its mild astringency, with plenty of swirling Qi. One to keep for sure.
The 301 Hwang Dayi for closer look.
Jedi wrote:We never got 'round to trying Pg's 10 year old Yi Wu, but there's always next time!!!!....
Yup... that's good stuff. This is the same beng bought along by pgho.

And this is the frontal view 1999 YehShen LaoShu Cha posted in Jedi's Photo Album.

That's all for now folks.

Cheers!

Last edited by oldmanteapot on May 22nd, '09, 20:54, edited 3 times in total.

May 20th, '09, 01:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » May 20th, '09, 01:02

What a wonderful event! Thanks so much for sharing it with us: the pictures, the story, the locale, the personalities. Just great.

You are indeed lucky to live in a part of the world with such great tea, and to find a wonderful host like Mr. Khor.

May 20th, '09, 01:10

by oldmanteapot » May 20th, '09, 01:10

Salsero wrote:What a wonderful event! Thanks so much for sharing it with us: the pictures, the story, the locale, the personalities. Just great.

You are indeed lucky to live in a part of the world with such great tea, and to find a wonderful host like Mr. Khor.
We're counting our blessings daily... ehehe... but the temptation of acquiring tea is also great.... I'd guess it goes both ways... ahahaha...

I'm sure if someone here in TeaChat is kind enough to organize a Summer "Tea" Vacation to Penang... then this would be truly a memorable experience.

Cheers!

May 20th, '09, 01:15

by Tead Off » May 20th, '09, 01:15

You guys are making me feel lonely here in BKK. I guess I will have to fly down one of these days for another tea session. Sounds like great fun. I wish Bangkok had more of a tea culture. Bloody Thais too busy drinking pepsi!

May 20th, '09, 01:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » May 20th, '09, 01:22

Well, interesting enough that I looked at the airfares ... $3,000 and up round trip and I don't think they include any tea in the package :lol: , though you can combine airfare and 5 nights in a hotel for only a little more.

Mmmm.

May 20th, '09, 03:50

by Jedi » May 20th, '09, 03:50

Yes, a flight and accommodation package can be very attractive, although I'm sure you can get a better deal than USD3000.00 including hotel etc. Try the Malaysia Airline website... from FL you'll probably get over via NY/Europe/Malaysia.

I'm currently kicking myself for 'missing out' on the Tuocha's... maybe Oldman can go secure a batch for me just in case Mr Khor runs out!! :P

At the moment, I'm in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo, and only have some teas I'd packed with me, and I didn't bring the 7581 unfortunately, so will have to content myself with some daily drinkers.

May 20th, '09, 06:41

by Tead Off » May 20th, '09, 06:41

Jedi,

Do you live in Kota?

May 20th, '09, 06:58

by oldmanteapot » May 20th, '09, 06:58

Jedi wrote:I'm currently kicking myself for 'missing out' on the Tuocha's... maybe Oldman can go secure a batch for me just in case Mr Khor runs out!! :P
Jedi,

Don't kick ourself too hard... just drop me a line... I'll see to it that you get your stock of TuoCha when make your next trip to Penang.

Cheers!!

May 20th, '09, 12:16

by teashionista » May 20th, '09, 12:16

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. I'm drooling on my computer keyboard (especially over those antique teacups!) :lol:

+ Post Reply