User avatar
Apr 18th, '17, 11:12
Adagio
Posts: 52
Joined: Sep 21st, '16
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by Emily@Adagio » Apr 18th, '17, 11:12

mattie1717 wrote: Hi All,
I'm Mattie from NH, USA. Just discovered this forum while searching the net for tea rooms in
NH. Great to see all the other "teaheads" out there.
Welcome, Mattie!

Don't forget to Introduce Yourself, and tell us What's In Your Cup?

:D

May 1st, '17, 06:08
Posts: 16
Joined: May 1st, '17
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by Distrait » May 1st, '17, 06:08

Hello everyone! Marc here from Ontario, Canada.

How long have you been drinking tea?
I've been drinking "real tea" for about 4 months now.

What was your first Tea?
My first decent loose tea was Sencha from a local-ish tea shop and I am still very much a fan of those Japanese greens even though I have expanded a lot since.

What is your favorite Tea currently?
It's very difficult for me to pick favourites! I think my favourite 'genre' of tea right now is jade oolongs. Either Jian Xuan or Tie Guianyin.

What is your next purchase?
I've got my second order of tea coming very soon. Some tea ware and lots of samples! Mostly of Puerh (both ripe and raw). As well as a sample of their Anxi oolongs.

Where is your favorite spot to brew up?
Always drinking tea at home, no matter what I'm doing there's always an afternoon-long brewing session in progress.

I dove into the world of tea head-first and I'm pretty deep in now. Spent an obscene amount of money on tea and tea ware in the past 4 months. Currently on the search for my top one or two picks from each sort of tea 'genre'.

I am open to suggestions on what kinds of white tea to try as I haven't really dove into those as of yet.

I am also really torn on any kind of tea that has been roasted. I really want to like it, but it seems I cannot. Any roasted tea I have tried so far has had some kind of taste that is a little off putting to me, would I find a difference in a more lightly roasted tea perhaps? What's your fav roasted tea?

User avatar
May 1st, '17, 15:05
Posts: 686
Joined: Nov 13th, '12
Location: santa monica, california, usa
Contact: victoria3

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by victoria3 » May 1st, '17, 15:05

Welcome to the forum Marc. The tea rabbit hole goes deep. Poorly roasted tea highlights the roast over other flavors, it can be like drinking burnt wood. An expertly roasted tea opens up an array of flavors over the course of multiple steeps. If you want to start at the top I can highly recommend a farmer in Taiwan, Hau Ying Chen's Charcoal Light Roasted DaYuLing & Charcoal Medium Roast DongDing. For a lower end, very affordable roasted oolong, Mountain Tea does a pretty good job. Also, JayinHK on this forum sells quit a few roasted teas from China.

May 2nd, '17, 07:07
Posts: 16
Joined: May 1st, '17
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by Distrait » May 2nd, '17, 07:07

victoria3 wrote: Welcome to the forum Marc. The tea rabbit hole goes deep. Poorly roasted tea highlights the roast over other flavors, it can be like drinking burnt wood. An expertly roasted tea opens up an array of flavors over the course of multiple steeps. If you want to start at the top I can highly recommend a farmer in Taiwan, Hau Ying Chen's Charcoal Light Roasted DaYuLing & Charcoal Medium Roast DongDing. For a lower end, very affordable roasted oolong, Mountain Tea does a pretty good job. Also, JayinHK on this forum sells quit a few roasted teas from China.
Thanks Victoria! Would you recommend that I know the standard version of the tea first or jump straight into the roasted type? I haven't tried any of these types of tea yet. I'm looking up Hau Ying Chen right now, Light roast sounds good to me. Also, is Mountain Tea an online store?
(googling 'mountian tea' didn't do me any good :lol: )

User avatar
May 2nd, '17, 11:17
Posts: 686
Joined: Nov 13th, '12
Location: santa monica, california, usa
Contact: victoria3

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by victoria3 » May 2nd, '17, 11:17

Distrait wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Welcome to the forum Marc. The tea rabbit hole goes deep. Poorly roasted tea highlights the roast over other flavors, it can be like drinking burnt wood. An expertly roasted tea opens up an array of flavors over the course of multiple steeps. If you want to start at the top I can highly recommend a farmer in Taiwan, Hau Ying Chen's Charcoal Light Roasted DaYuLing & Charcoal Medium Roast DongDing. For a lower end, very affordable roasted oolong, Mountain Tea does a pretty good job. Also, JayinHK on this forum sells quit a few roasted teas from China.
Thanks Victoria! Would you recommend that I know the standard version of the tea first or jump straight into the roasted type? I haven't tried any of these types of tea yet. I'm looking up Hau Ying Chen right now, Light roast sounds good to me. Also, is Mountain Tea an online store?
(googling 'mountian tea' didn't do me any good :lol: )
I reread your intro and it seems you are horizontally exploring many teas at once, from sencha to pu'erh to oolongs. Yes I agree, I also started with lightly roasted oolongs and only last year got into medium to higher roast via HY Chen introduced to us here on teachat by another member. Sincha season is upon us so you might like to try freshly pick young green sincha, O-Cha in Japan https://www.o-cha.com/en/ is a great source for many teachatters. For green, lightly roasted oolongs or higher roast Mountain Tea is good if you are on a budget; https://www.mountaintea.com In addition to the ones I meantioned before Taiwan Sourcing https://taiwanoolongs.com & TeaFul http://teaful.co/ have good oolongs.

May 3rd, '17, 06:14
Posts: 16
Joined: May 1st, '17
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by Distrait » May 3rd, '17, 06:14

victoria3 wrote:
Distrait wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Welcome to the forum Marc. The tea rabbit hole goes deep. Poorly roasted tea highlights the roast over other flavors, it can be like drinking burnt wood. An expertly roasted tea opens up an array of flavors over the course of multiple steeps. If you want to start at the top I can highly recommend a farmer in Taiwan, Hau Ying Chen's Charcoal Light Roasted DaYuLing & Charcoal Medium Roast DongDing. For a lower end, very affordable roasted oolong, Mountain Tea does a pretty good job. Also, JayinHK on this forum sells quit a few roasted teas from China.
Thanks Victoria! Would you recommend that I know the standard version of the tea first or jump straight into the roasted type? I haven't tried any of these types of tea yet. I'm looking up Hau Ying Chen right now, Light roast sounds good to me. Also, is Mountain Tea an online store?
(googling 'mountian tea' didn't do me any good :lol: )
I reread your intro and it seems you are horizontally exploring many teas at once, from sencha to pu'erh to oolongs. Yes I agree, I also started with lightly roasted oolongs and only last year got into medium to higher roast via HY Chen introduced to us here on teachat by another member. Sincha season is upon us so you might like to try freshly pick young green sincha, O-Cha in Japan https://www.o-cha.com/en/ is a great source for many teachatters. For green, lightly roasted oolongs or higher roast Mountain Tea is good if you are on a budget; https://www.mountaintea.com In addition to the ones I meantioned before Taiwan Sourcing https://taiwanoolongs.com & TeaFul http://teaful.co/ have good oolongs.
Thanks again. I will be adding these all to my bookmarks. I've seen O-cha before; I really should order a sample soon as I do love sencha. So many teas to try!

Cheers!

User avatar
May 19th, '17, 23:27
Posts: 13
Joined: Nov 27th, '15

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by RookieCookie » May 19th, '17, 23:27

Just my two cents.

How long have you been drinking tea?
For three years :)
What was your first Tea?
Anxi TGY with a lighter roast. (The greener kind, not the browner kind)
What is your favorite Tea currently?
90s Liubao Tea purchased locally in Singapore, with the occasional kuding.
What is your next purchase?
Saving up for funds for a 2003 Purple Dayi.
Where is your favorite spot to brew up?
At home on the coffee table with a small bamboo tea tray

~rookiecookie

May 27th, '17, 18:31
Posts: 13
Joined: May 19th, '17
Location: London, UK

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by VoirenTea » May 27th, '17, 18:31

Hello, I've come over from r/tea because you have a lot of Yixing info over here, and I've been looking at getting a pot or two...

How long have you been drinking tea?

I've been drinking loose leaf for a bit over a year now. I had a really bad and lingering sore throat at the start of 2016 and needed non-sugary hot drinks to drink all day (before then I'd have one hot chocolate or Whittard's fruity sugar concoction while at work). I got quite a collection of Twining's infusions, found the fruit ones frequently disappointing, moved to their flavoured green teas which I loved, then I found Reddit and What-Cha's Intro to Tea. I have loose leaf at work and home now, and a new hobby.

What was your first Tea?

The first ever would have been typical British tea with milk, long ago. I never formed a taste for it. I'd have green tea at Chinese restaurants and like it, but it never occurred to me to want some at home. I mostly drink water so didn't really need a hot drink outside of the occasional hot chocolate in winter - I started making ones at work for a distraction during the afternoon.

What is your favorite Tea currently?

Sticky rice oolong is up there, and hojicha, and TeaLifeHK's high fire tieguanyin, and I've been extensively sampling puerh.

I still don't like the typical Indian tea blends that we get in Britain.

What is your next purchase?

Currently en route are a Yixing pot from Wilson at Adventure in Every Cup and two of his sheng puerh. I think I was planning to cover more regions of well-known oolongs next. (I still have other puerh samples to try).

Where is your favorite spot to brew up?

On my sofa.

+ Post Reply