Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Jun 23rd, '18, 04:31

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by dogjaeja » Jun 23rd, '18, 04:31

How long have you been drinking tea?
- 20 years casually. 5-6 years loose leaf.
What was your first Tea?
- Traditional Korean teas.
What is your favorite Tea currently?
- Trying out different oolongs currently.
What is your next purchase?
- Yixing pot for oolong/pureh.
Where is your favorite spot to brew up?
- My desk.

Jun 24th, '18, 19:24

by FoxTeaWitch » Jun 24th, '18, 19:24

I've had tea before when I was younger and it was mostly an on and off thing that only happened when I went to this one restaurant. I didn't really start getting serious about tea until November of 2012 but that was mostly bagged stuff. It was in 2015 that I started getting into loose leaf tea and while I still drink some bagged tea (because I like tasting all kinds of teas and because I have a scrapbook for tags and bags lol)

What was your first Tea?

I guess some generic bagged green tea at that one restaurant from my childhood. The other bagged was a mangosteen blend and then I had blended teas.

Right now its an Earl Grey blend that I really like and a black blend with caramel flavour.

Probably Earl Grey Lavender and Earl Grey Bella Luna I hope. At least for right now unless something else catches my eye.

Right now I brew inside but then I drink outside on my balcony, or inside in the living while watching my soaps on Netflix.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Jul 2nd, '18, 01:34

by kaorik » Jul 2nd, '18, 01:34

As long as I can remember, but I only really started getting into teas about 4 years ago.

What was your first Tea?
It was probably some sweetened Luzianne black tea or something. My first good tea was probably some matcha at a tea ceremony when I was pretty young.

I've got some Jin Xuan Oolong that I really enjoy

I really shouldn't be buying any teas. I have way more than I can drink and I'm on a college budget. I am running low on chai though...

Sitting on the floor in my room with my tea tray.

Jul 8th, '18, 07:29

by Tea-Nami » Jul 8th, '18, 07:29

How long have you been drinking tea? Oh geez...this ones tough. I can remember as a child, my mother always (and even to this day) carries tea everywhere she goes.

What was your first Tea? Lipton brewed in the yard under the sun in a giant Glass container.

What is your favorite Tea currently? Ito-En Ryokucha

What is your next purchase? Probably a gunpowder green of some kind, or a nice Irish Breakfast.

Where is your favorite spot to brew up? On the porch, watching the birds eat & play in the bird bath! 🕊️

Jul 22nd, '18, 04:30

by connieddunn » Jul 22nd, '18, 04:30

HI,

I've purchased from Adagio for years but never took advantage of this site and now I wonder if it is not used so much anymore?
I love tea and study it. One day I will take sommelier classes. I am pretty sure I'll be a natural! I'm very impressed by what tea does for me.

Omg, my whole life...at least 45 years.

What was your first Tea?
I'm pretty sure it was a simple Lipton. Once I learned about tea fannings, I started going to this Indian grocery where they had CTC leaves, (mamri) where they were all balled and bunched up.

Adagio Cream Black tea and Peach matcha.

Finally, milk oolong and more Ali Shan.

Home!
------------------------------------------------

Aug 10th, '18, 04:07

by jpatrick » Aug 10th, '18, 04:07

Hi everyone :D

It's really been a hobby only for a few years or so. It all changed when my brother introduced me to Gong Fu brewing...

What was your first Tea?
The first one that 'really got me started' was a Purple Leaf Sheng. Still holds a very special place for me.

Hard to say, but in general my favourites are raw and ripe pu'er, Liu Bao and Wuyi oolongs.

I'd like to try some Liu An. Still never had the chance so far.

Lately it's been the balcony at home :)

Aug 11th, '18, 18:46

Just Gave up Coffee

by teabody » Aug 11th, '18, 18:46

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Just gave up coffee, and am struggling. I love tea, and I just started drinking red tea, and green tea. Can someone tell me how long they have been off coffee and was it a struggle in the beginning.

Thanks

Aug 28th, '18, 22:40

by Jam Jam » Aug 28th, '18, 22:40

I started getting into tea in the mid 00s with my wife. We started going to different shops in L.A. that sold loose leaf tea. We actually started with Teavana (preStarbucks purchase) and thought they had wonderful stuff.

What was your first Tea?

I believe it was a loose blend of Dragon Pearl and tasty Rooibos.

We haven't explored much in recent years and were looking to learn more from people who are more learned in the subject.

Great question! I'll likely explore on the boards a bit a see what people are recommending!

TBD :D

Aug 30th, '18, 01:56

by zesk » Aug 30th, '18, 01:56

Hi All! New on this forum and learning a lot!

First really enjoyed tea a few years back when I visited Taiwan. Had some Alishan gao shan cha that was awesome! But only drank that on and off. Started to get really serious about drinking tea a few months back when I tried sheng pu erh for the first time.

What was your first Tea?
First tea ever would probably have to be the simple Lipton tea bags as I my dad likes it and my family home always stocks that.

Sheng pu erh! I love how complex it is and how much there is to learn on this interesting tea. When the mood hits, I do like some yancha as well.

Not too sure at the moment, anything that tastes good!

While I do like to frequent tea shops where the owners are knowledgable and not pushy, I do most of my drinking sessions alone at home. I find sessions at home a nice way to relax.

Nov 16th, '18, 01:08

by WeBJammin' » Nov 16th, '18, 01:08

What's up?! Love this forum. Super active..
Here we go:

I'm early 40s.. started drinking tea consistently in my early 30s

What was your first Tea?
Mom used to make sweet tea growing up in TX. Pretty sure it was made with Lipton bags.

Big Red Robe Oolong. Hearty and full!

I like to test out apples to apples teas from various shops. Especially when they indicate what farm they are harvested from. I do the same with wine.

My leather club chair near the morning window looking out at the mountain view.

Jan 2nd, '19, 00:29

Re: Just Gave up Coffee

by Ludovitche » Jan 2nd, '19, 00:29

teabody wrote: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Just gave up coffee, and am struggling. I love tea, and I just started drinking red tea, and green tea. Can someone tell me how long they have been off coffee and was it a struggle in the beginning.

Thanks
Hi,
I've been off coffee for 3 months and recommend trying strong teas like ripe ou erh and other hei sha, or aged oolong, (using a lot of leaves for a short brew) : they make a black thick tea soup that is energizing and has a strong taste.
I would not have stopped coffee if the only thing I had was weak tea (dust) from Lipton or Twinings... But tea can be as strong as coffee, so go out and try
Cheers

Jan 2nd, '19, 10:12

by Ludovitche » Jan 2nd, '19, 10:12

Hi, complete noob here :D

3 months.

Yet already addicted to Chinese tea.

What was your first Tea?
Maybe Lipton Yellow, maybe some fruit flavoured Twinings...
Not sure what exactly but it was something bad for sure - somthing that prevented me from finding out about good tea.
Then my Chinese doctor mentioned Taetea 4 months ago... I'd say my first real tea was a mini tuo of shu pu-erh in a tea shop. Not great taste but an incredible after taste thay got me curious...

In 3 months, I only had time to try pu-erh... Already an addict.
Too early to tell me what my "all-time favourite" is obviously... But note to other pu-erh noobs : go spend money on Yunnan Sourcing website, both samplers and mini cakes from their own brand (and avoid mini tuos, from any website). Your local tea shop is probably not better for pu-erh than this website.
I enjoy the clean taste of their very affordable "2017 Yunnan Sourcing "Gong Ting" Certified Organic Ripe Pu-erh Tea" mini cake.
For sheng, I'm on Chawang Shop's "2014 Chawangpu "Lao Yu" Xiao Bing Cha 200g"
Both are hard to overbrew.

I've got a long wish list already...
But Yunnan Sourcing's "Journey to the West" mini cake collection will probably be next for shu : jiaogulan pu-erh, sticky rice pu-erh, chrysantemum pu-erh ? Definitively want to try that !

Where is your favorite spot to brew up
For now, work.
I can brew the same tea all day. Kamjove 160, good for beginners.
Of course people laugh at me when I take out a cake from my drawer but oh well...

Jan 3rd, '19, 18:07

by firedancer » Jan 3rd, '19, 18:07

So glad to have found this forum! Looking forward to chatting here and learning more. :)

20+ years casually, about 1 year focused on loose-leaf oolongs and, more recently, sheng pu-erh.

What was your first Tea?
Celestial Seasonings flavored green tea, which I sweetened very liberally. My tastes have changed considerably since my pre-teen dabblings!

Eco Cha's Wenshan Baozhong was the tea that made me fall in love with Taiwanese and Chinese tea and tea culture, so drinking it always brings back so many good memories. I just love the lightly toasted flavor and rich floral notes. I've also fallen hard for Dancong oolongs lately, and am having a lot of fun trying different varietals.

I've got my eye on a cake of Mei Leaf's Nectar Raider sheng pu-erh. It sounds incredible.

During the winter, I brew at my dining room table, which is where I work from home. In the summer, I take my tea tray and accoutrements outside to brew on the deck in the sunshine.

Jan 13th, '19, 20:18

by Reb » Jan 13th, '19, 20:18

Found this site in my search for info about yixing wares, many thanks to the users who have shared their expertise and photos.

Forever. I enjoyed it even as a child.

What was your first Tea?
Lipton or Red Rose, the usual bagged orange pekoe blend sold as tea (with no qualifiers) in the USA. What actually got me into quality loose leaf tea was a bagged tea, Choice Oolong. I just enjoyed it more than anything else I was drinking at the time. I looked it up on Amazon and somebody on there talked about gongfu. The more I googled the curioser I got and here I am.

Hard to answer. Been drinking through my 2018 Darjeeling samples. I recently had a great session with New Mexico Tea’s Wuyi Rock Oolong purchased November 2017. The aroma was literally intoxicating. Also had a good session with YS AA Tie Guan Yin spring 2018. That was nice because I shared with my partner. It was his first oolong and he really enjoyed it.

I just bought lots of teas from Yunnan Sourcing and Taiwan Sourcing, so nothing for a little bit. Probably 2019 first flush Darjeelings from Upton when they come in.

Dining room table, with partner when he gets home from work.

Mar 10th, '19, 12:18

by teaformoi » Mar 10th, '19, 12:18

I've been interested in craft tea for about 10 years but I'm still fairly wet behind the ears

My first tea was probably red rose or similar detritus, my first tea that made me love tea was a balled oo from Taiwan drunk grandpa style which I'm still hoping to find again

I don't really have a current favorite I kind of like them all.. although I don't really like the energy of blacks; it impresses me to seek more and to hopefully find one that's agreeable.

My next purchase will most likely be more puerhs (since I've only tried one thus far), I'd also like to discover yellows, and taste my way through the oolongs

My favorite spot to brew tea is wherever it is peaceful

+ Post Reply