Friend from Taiwan

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Jun 16th, '15, 06:00

Re: Friend from Taiwan

by chrl42 » Jun 16th, '15, 06:00

Tead Off wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Doctor Lu, would you like to try to identify the period of this kyusu styled factory pot?
Imitation +1, I could be wrong.. :P
Could Kyarazen be right? :D

I think it is a good idea to say why you think it is an imitation so people can learn. On the other hand, if you are mistaken, uh-oh, your reputation sinks. :shock:
lol

You'd better believe as it's real then...

Jun 17th, '15, 01:54

by AT333 » Jun 17th, '15, 01:54

Tead Off wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Doctor Lu, would you like to try to identify the period of this kyusu styled factory pot?

I think it is a good idea to say why you think it is an imitation so people can learn.
It would be a huge learning experience if kyarazen and chrl42 can share what detail they see to conclude their opinion. Many forummers here are very interested in Yixing teapots but lack the guidance and pointers. I am sure many Teachatters will be grateful if they are generous to share. Perhaps Dr Lu could also contribute some pointers on this pot. Thank you. :mrgreen:

Jun 17th, '15, 02:21

by chrl42 » Jun 17th, '15, 02:21

AT333 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
chrl42 wrote:

I think it is a good idea to say why you think it is an imitation so people can learn.
It would be a huge learning experience if kyarazen and chrl42 can share what detail they see to conclude their opinion. Many forummers here are very interested in Yixing teapots but lack the guidance and pointers. I am sure many Teachatters will be grateful if they are generous to share. Perhaps Dr Lu could also contribute some pointers on this pot. Thank you. :mrgreen:
It's just pictures, many can mistake with a mere picture yet if everybody hesitates commenting anything then what are forums for?

My pointers are just two, the seal and the clay, otherwise craftsmanship is pretty neat IMHO. Someone talked about reputation, but oh no that is someone like Lu is fitted for...usually one is more bold when the one has nothing to lose.. 8)

Jun 17th, '15, 02:27

by kyarazen » Jun 17th, '15, 02:27

AT333 wrote: It would be a huge learning experience if kyarazen and chrl42 can share what detail they see to conclude their opinion. Many forummers here are very interested in Yixing teapots but lack the guidance and pointers. I am sure many Teachatters will be grateful if they are generous to share. Perhaps Dr Lu could also contribute some pointers on this pot. Thank you. :mrgreen:
like i had said, mid to end 70s probably.

looking at the mold for this pot is not very useful as the molds are still in existence. so are many of the molds for pots from the 80s-90s.

the only gripe, the white balance is off, its hard to tell if its zini or QSN, the clay doesnt look very aged/eroded which makes it less possible to be from the early 70s.

previously the picture of the seal didnt load for me but now it did and it does not resemble the common zgyx seals used during the early batches of the pots. probability of a remake is there.

nevertheless remake or not, these pots probably might not be super sought after nor pricey, since they still can be easily located in japan or taiwan.

the other good thing is that at least they did make the handle hollow, which is a good feature of the side handled pots in f1. the air hole on the lid is correct. however the spout picture is not very clear, with a clearer picture at a better angle, it can determine whether it is the 70s spout or not.

no reputation to protect here, who cares! we're on teachat to discuss, leanr and share anyway. u can consider me a "new"/"novice" yixing collector since i've only been seriously collecting recently. dont have centuries and decades to boot.

Jun 17th, '15, 02:38

by AT333 » Jun 17th, '15, 02:38

kyarazen wrote:
AT333 wrote: It would be a huge learning experience if kyarazen and chrl42 can share what detail they see to conclude their opinion. Many forummers here are very interested in Yixing teapots but lack the guidance and pointers. I am sure many Teachatters will be grateful if they are generous to share. Perhaps Dr Lu could also contribute some pointers on this pot. Thank you. :mrgreen:

looking at the mold for this pot is not very useful as the molds are still in existence. so are many of the molds for pots from the 80s-90s.

the only gripe, the white balance is off, its hard to tell if its zini or QSN, the clay doesnt look very aged/eroded which makes it less possible to be from the early 70s.

previously the picture of the seal didnt load for me but now it did and it does not resemble the common zgyx seals used during the early batches of the pots. probability of a remake is there.

nevertheless remake or not, these pots probably might not be super sought after nor pricey, since they still can be easily located in japan or taiwan.

the other good thing is that at least they did make the handle hollow, which is a good feature of the side handled pots in f1. the air hole on the lid is correct. however the spout picture is not very clear, with a clearer :mrgreen: picture at a better angle, it can determine whether it is the 70s spout or not.

no reputation to protect here, who cares! we're on teachat to discuss, leanr and share anyway. u can consider me a "new"/"novice" yixing collector since i've only been seriously collecting recently. dont have centuries and decades to boot.
Thank you kyarazen for your generosity in sharing your observation. I am sure many here will appreciate it. Thank you Sir! :mrgreen:

Jun 17th, '15, 06:26

by Tead Off » Jun 17th, '15, 06:26

kyarazen wrote:

the other good thing is that at least they did make the handle hollow, which is a good feature of the side handled pots in f1. the air hole on the lid is correct. however the spout picture is not very clear, with a clearer picture at a better angle, it can determine whether it is the 70s spout or not.

Here are a couple more shots of the spout.
IMG_5448.jpg
IMG_5448.jpg (12.06 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
IMG_5453.jpg
IMG_5453.jpg (10.22 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

Jun 17th, '15, 21:07

by AT333 » Jun 17th, '15, 21:07

chrl42 wrote:
AT333 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
chrl42 wrote:

It's just pictures, many can mistake with a mere picture yet if everybody hesitates commenting anything then what are forums for?

My pointers are just two, the seal and the clay, otherwise craftsmanship is pretty neat IMHO. Someone talked about reputation, but oh no that is someone like Lu is fitted for...usually one is more bold when the one has nothing to lose.. 8)
Thank you very much chrl42 for sharing your pointers. :mrgreen:

Jul 13th, '15, 10:36

by AT333 » Jul 13th, '15, 10:36

Hi Dr Lu,

I was just browsing your book on 1938-1998 yixing pots. Can I ask those cup size you referred in your book is based on how many ml? Is it 20ml? Also for the height and width of those pots, the dimensions are measure from which part to which part of the pot? Thank you Sir! :mrgreen:

Jul 13th, '15, 10:51

by kyarazen » Jul 13th, '15, 10:51

AT333 wrote:Hi Dr Lu,

I was just browsing your book on 1938-1998 yixing pots. Can I ask those cup size you referred in your book is based on how many ml? Is it 20ml? Also for the height and width of those pots, the dimensions are measure from which part to which part of the pot? Thank you Sir! :mrgreen:
easier to get him on facebook :)

Jul 13th, '15, 14:30

by kyarazen » Jul 13th, '15, 14:30

just took at a look at the book, his cup size specification for each pot corresponds to the chinese one, not the taiwanese spec

Jul 16th, '15, 13:51

by AT333 » Jul 16th, '15, 13:51

kyarazen wrote:just took at a look at the book, his cup size specification for each pot corresponds to the chinese one, not the taiwanese spec
Thank you kyarazen. I took a second look and saw it too. The two pots that came with the book are 12 and 8 cups sizes and correspond to the Chinese pots sizing. Thank you Sir! :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply