Hello from NYC!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Jun 24th, '17, 14:50

Hello from NYC!

by Demea » Jun 24th, '17, 14:50

Hi there I'm Demea! Long time/first time!

How long have you been drinking tea?
About 4-5 years at this point.

What was your first tea?
Very mediocre "monkey picked oolong" from teavana :lol:

What is your favorite tea currently?
I'm currently most into Wuyi Yancha, but still trying to figure out exactly which types I like best!

What is your next purchase?
Likely some "50% roasted" TGY from Fang's Gourmet in Flushing

What is your favorite spot to brew up?
At home, when it's quiet after work.

Jun 24th, '17, 16:19

Re: Hello from NYC!

by victoria3 » Jun 24th, '17, 16:19

Welcome to teachat Demea. You're in good company here.

Jun 24th, '17, 16:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jun 24th, '17, 16:48

Welcome Demea! :D

Jun 24th, '17, 16:54

by Demea » Jun 24th, '17, 16:54

Thank you both!

Jun 25th, '17, 01:28
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 25th, '17, 01:28

Welcome! I lived in NYC/Long Island for six years. At the time my tea consumption mostly involved Celestial Seasonings and Arizona/Nestea/Snapple, but I did have a porcelain gongfu cha set that I used to brew up jasmine pearls! There is a really excellent tea store in NY that you might want to check out. I can't remember what it's called right now, but the owner is from Hong Kong and he has a really good collection of teapots and seriously top notch tea. And no, I don't mean Mandarin's Tea Room, which was also excellent!

Jun 25th, '17, 13:21

by Demea » Jun 25th, '17, 13:21

Very cool, thanks! Definitely let me know if you remember the name of that place. I've also never been to TMTR, although I hear great things. My favorite places in NYC I've been to so far are Te Company, TShopNY, TeaDrunk, Fang's, and Ippodo, but I'm always looking for new places to try!

Jun 25th, '17, 13:55

by joelbct » Jun 25th, '17, 13:55

Hi from Westchester, currently. I've lived in every borough except the Bronx, at one point or another.

Have you been to Cha-An, at 9th st btwn 3rd and 2nd? Cozy space.

Jun 25th, '17, 13:59

by Demea » Jun 25th, '17, 13:59

I have not, but I'll definitely have to check that out! It's right near two of my favorite ramen spots.

Jun 25th, '17, 15:14

by Zared » Jun 25th, '17, 15:14

jayinhk wrote: Welcome! I lived in NYC/Long Island for six years. At the time my tea consumption mostly involved Celestial Seasonings and Arizona/Nestea/Snapple, but I did have a porcelain gongfu cha set that I used to brew up jasmine pearls! There is a really excellent tea store in NY that you might want to check out. I can't remember what it's called right now, but the owner is from Hong Kong and he has a really good collection of teapots and seriously top notch tea. And no, I don't mean Mandarin's Tea Room, which was also excellent!

Orchid tea house? Probably one of the only places I know of in NYC(south BK)with a nice collection of teapots. I think he's from Fujian province but possibly that isn't who your thinking of.

Jun 25th, '17, 16:02

by kuánglóng » Jun 25th, '17, 16:02

Welcome aboard, Demea!

Jun 26th, '17, 05:53
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 26th, '17, 05:53

Zared wrote:
jayinhk wrote: Welcome! I lived in NYC/Long Island for six years. At the time my tea consumption mostly involved Celestial Seasonings and Arizona/Nestea/Snapple, but I did have a porcelain gongfu cha set that I used to brew up jasmine pearls! There is a really excellent tea store in NY that you might want to check out. I can't remember what it's called right now, but the owner is from Hong Kong and he has a really good collection of teapots and seriously top notch tea. And no, I don't mean Mandarin's Tea Room, which was also excellent!

Orchid tea house? Probably one of the only places I know of in NYC(south BK)with a nice collection of teapots. I think he's from Fujian province but possibly that isn't who your thinking of.
That's the one! He might be Fujianese from Hong Kong. Most HK Chinese migrated here within the last century! And lots of Mainland Chinese are moving in, too

Jul 1st, '17, 00:08

by Shine Magical » Jul 1st, '17, 00:08

jayinhk wrote:
Zared wrote:

That's the one! He might be Fujianese from Hong Kong. Most HK Chinese migrated here within the last century! And lots of Mainland Chinese are moving in, too
Kingston has some nice teas but his shop is too eccentric... his shop smells like parrots because they live in his shop and he enthusiastically offers caterpillar poo for you to drink :oops:

Jul 1st, '17, 01:33

by Zared » Jul 1st, '17, 01:33

Shine Magical wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Zared wrote:

Kingston has some nice teas but his shop is too eccentric... his shop smells like parrots because they live in his shop and he enthusiastically offers caterpillar poo for you to drink :oops:
Did you at least try the poo tea? I did and found it to be quite unique and interesting so I can see why he'd enthusiastly offer it to you.

Jul 2nd, '17, 13:25
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 2nd, '17, 13:25

Zared wrote:
Shine Magical wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Zared wrote:

Did you at least try the poo tea? I did and found it to be quite unique and interesting so I can see why he'd enthusiastly offer it to you.
I don't know of any other tea store anywhere that would serve you bug poo tea right away. That is pretty unique and I think it's a good tactic for getting NYC customers to listen to your spiel! LOL

The parrots probably help, too, and get people relaxed in what might otherwise be a very foreign experience for them. I guess it depends how you look at it. I'd totally check out the store if I was in NY!

+ Post Reply