Somewhat New To the World of Tea

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Nov 29th, '17, 09:59

by Shaner » Nov 29th, '17, 09:59

Hi everyone! My name is Shane, I live in Canada, and my tea infatuation began when I visited my brother-in-law and sister-in-law in Beijing. While there we had tea gongfu style and I began to love not only the many different types of tea we were drinking, but also the time with friends/family a tea ceremony can bring.

Before leaving China, we visited a few tea malls and I purchased some items to get me started. I brew my tea in a gaiwan, but I am currently looking for a couple of yixing pots as well.

It’s been just over a year, and I have so much to learn, I hope to gain some knowledge in many different areas regarding tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 29th, '17, 10:11

by CWarren » Nov 29th, '17, 10:11

Shaner wrote:Hi everyone! My name is Shane, I live in Canada, and my tea infatuation began when I visited my brother-in-law and sister-in-law in Beijing. While there we had tea gongfu style and I began to love not only the many different types of tea we were drinking, but also the time with friends/family a tea ceremony can bring.

Before leaving China, we visited a few tea malls and I purchased some items to get me started. I brew my tea in a gaiwan, but I am currently looking for a couple of yixing pots as well.

It’s been just over a year, and I have so much to learn, I hope to gain some knowledge in many different areas regarding tea.

Welcome Shane. You’ll find an encyclopedia of knowledge here if you search through past topics.

Nov 29th, '17, 23:30

Re: Somewhat New To the World of Tea

by Shaner » Nov 29th, '17, 23:30

CWarren wrote:Welcome Shane. You’ll find an encyclopedia of knowledge here if you search through past topics.

Thanks, I'd take a look at the tea ware that you have for sale, but I don't have Instagram.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 29th, '17, 23:45

by Aya » Nov 29th, '17, 23:45

Welcome Shane!
I'm learning a lot here, and many good posts make my tea session more enjoyable:)

Dec 1st, '17, 00:51

by john.b » Dec 1st, '17, 00:51

Greetings! There is a lot to experience related to tea. If you're a year in at least you've covered the trickier parts, getting started, brewing basics, getting some idea what you like, some starts on sourcing. For me I used tea as a theme for exploring different social networking, and started a second overlapping habit of talking in groups and writing a blog (about tea, Tea in the Ancient World), and a FB tea group (International Tea Talk). Some places I looked into didn't really work out (Twitter, Tumblr, a few tea forums).

This wasn't really intended as self-promotion though, more discussion of how tea interest can cover extra scope. Someone wouldn't need to learn a lot of background just to make tea, although it's hard to try a lot of different types and teas from different source locations without knowing what is out there.

I try to not overdo it with what I want to try next, to take it organically. This particular forum isn't all that active now but in lots of places people are discussing trying lots of things, and it would be easy to take that the wrong way, to feel like you need to set some sort of medium level exploration pace. At worst it could start to seem like work, and the perceived gap could overshadow the positive experiences.

+ Post Reply