aloha! introduction and question

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Jul 2nd 18 2:21 pm

aloha! introduction and question

by mauiaroma » Jul 2nd 18 2:21 pm

Aloha, everyone!

My name is Denise and I'm from Maui, where I was given (maybe at a garage sale?) a curious item. It's a satin-lined box with a clay pot inside that holds two metal crickets. When I went to research what was written on the box (Zi Sha Zhen Pin) all I found were teapots. I have not been able to find anything like this (though I did learn a bit about the Chinese cricket fighting... interesting!) Someone at UH suggested that it could have been a gift from a visiting dignitary, which makes me wonder whether it might be worth something.

I'm visiting my mom an hour outside of NYC. Any ideas on a trustworthy place for an appraisal?

I have other fotos, but it's not allowing me to attach them, saying they're too big no matter how much I reduce them. I could send via email.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
Mahalo!
Denise
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jul 3rd 18 3:43 pm
Mod/Admin

Re: aloha! introduction and question

by AndrewGC » Jul 3rd 18 3:43 pm

Hi @mauiaroma -

Welcome and thanks for a fun introductory Question!

We believe what you might have there is actually related closely to the cricket fighting - and could be a ceremonial gift, representing the fights, or an actual vessel designed for the fights! Check out the article we found here: https://goo.gl/7aNGkU

Perhaps that could be it! Let me know if you have any questions!