say hi to everyone

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Mar 9th, '08, 08:59

say hi to everyone

by Chinese tea » Mar 9th, '08, 08:59

Hi everyone. I am jennifer, from China. Tea becomes my favorite drink right now. I cannot live without it. I am so lucky that I was born in China that i can get into touch with the glorious Chinese six catergories of tea. I have almost tasted them all. My favorite teas right now are green Puer(unfermented Puer), Wuyi rock tea, and white tea. Wuyi rock tea, Da Hong Pao rock tea in particular, is so good in aftertaste and fragrance and savor. It used to be the tribute tea in Yuan Dynasty,about 1000 years ago. Still now, it is among the most expensive tea in China. But I guess it is a little bit hard for you guys abroad to get this kind of tea. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy yourself in tea world.

Mar 9th, '08, 12:50

by Trey Winston » Mar 9th, '08, 12:50

Welcome, Jennifer :D

I like that you listed white tea as one of your favorites. That's my favorite too.

Enjoy TeaChat!

Mar 9th, '08, 16:07

by Eastree » Mar 9th, '08, 16:07

Hello, Jennifer, and welcome to TeaChat!

I haven't delved deeply into the world of puer, but I've liked what I've tried so far. And I agree with you completely on your other two favorites.

Have a look around, and pop into chat some time!

Mar 9th, '08, 18:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Mar 9th, '08, 18:11

Wow, very exciting to see you here! Welcome. I think you will find quite a few people in this group that are familiar with wuyi yancha and puerh, both shu and sheng puerh, as well as some of the great Chinese green teas. On the internet, we can buy some things direct from China.

Hope to hear much from you.

Mar 10th, '08, 09:24

by hop_goblin » Mar 10th, '08, 09:24

Hola Jennifer! Sal is right! You will certainly be communicating with some of the most well informed tea drinkers in the U.S.!

Mar 10th, '08, 10:05

by Chinese tea » Mar 10th, '08, 10:05

Hi Sal, it is so rare for me to find there are someone overseas familiar with Chinese tradtional and famous tea. So I guess you have been to China tea-producing areas many time, right? I have been to Yunnan tea-producing areas once, Wuyishan city, and so other tea-producing areas. It is so fascinating to be there. You can totally relax yourself and enjoy yourself in the tea world. Wherever you go in the tea-producing areas, people would always serve tea to you in Gongfu way or others.
You mentioned Wuyi YanCha? which one is your favorite? Da Hong Pao(big red robe) or Shui Xiang(narcissus). which roast do you prefer for Wuyi rock tea, light-roasted or medium roast or heavy roasted? For me, I prefer the heavy roasted one. The tea is so hefty and long-lasting for the aftertaste.

We can discuss Puer next time. Puer tea is the most mysterious tea so far. I am still in the process of understanding and exploring it. I have some very Puer masters friends in GZ. They would go to Yunnan province several times a year to abtain some wild-growing puer tea. One of my friends is China superior tea tasters. He is really good at puer tea, from puer tea ceremoney, to puer tea judgement and so on.

:lol: pls let me know your idea. thx

Mar 10th, '08, 10:33

by Salsero » Mar 10th, '08, 10:33

I have never been to China. My favorite yancha at the moment is probably Da Hong Pao. I have had several Shui Xian teas, but even the best does not seem to me as good as most Da Hong Pao. I generally prefer less roasting rather than more, especially in aged teas but also in recent yancha. I also like Rou Gui, the lighter teas from further south in Fujian, like Tie Quan Yin and Se Zhong, as well as the oolongs from Taiwan. I have been drinking quite a bit of Japanese green tea lately, but I also love the Chinese greens.

It must be wonderful to travel in Yunnan province and the Wuyi area. I have seen photos. bearsbearsbears of this forum has traveled quite a bit in China, specifically going to learn about tea. You might want to send him a PM (Personal Message) in case he hasn't seen this thread.

At the moment I am enjoying a year 2005 Menghai 7562 ripe/cooked/shu puerh from a brick. It's good but it takes 2 or 3 rinses to get the "swamp" smell out of it. You might enjoy Hop_Goblin's blog about puerh at http://ancientteahorseroad.blogspot.com/ . He is the guy who posted just above.

Does GZ stand for Guangzhou?

Mar 12th, '08, 10:20

by Chinese tea » Mar 12th, '08, 10:20

yes, you are right. GZ stands for Guangzhou.

I can not log onto the website you recommended to me. I donot know why.

Recently, i am focusing on learning more about Puer tea, and Puer, Oolong tea ceremony. I can prepare Gongfu tea now, but I just wanna be more prefessional. Later, I will go to learn how to be a tea taster after I abtain tea ceremony performer certificate.

:lol:

Mar 12th, '08, 11:41

by Salsero » Mar 12th, '08, 11:41

Chinese tea wrote:I can not log onto the website you recommended to me. I donot know why.
I think the Chinese government periodically blocks some news groups and blog hosts.
Chinese tea wrote:Recently, i am focusing on learning more about Puer tea, and Puer, Oolong tea ceremony ... Later, I will go to learn how to be a tea taster after I abtain tea ceremony performer certificate.
That is very exciting that you have such great learning opportunities. I don't think we have that kind of training in the USA.

In a PM you asked me about whether Americans prefer wet or dry storage Puer. Such a tiny number of people here know about the wonderful Puer tea that any answer is a little misleading, but generally among those who love it there is a tendancy to prefer drier storage, although much depends on the particular tea.

Mar 12th, '08, 11:42

by hop_goblin » Mar 12th, '08, 11:42

Salsero wrote:I have never been to China. My favorite yancha at the moment is probably Da Hong Pao. I have had several Shui Xian teas, but even the best does not seem to me as good as most Da Hong Pao. I generally prefer less roasting rather than more, especially in aged teas but also in recent yancha. I also like Rou Gui, the lighter teas from further south in Fujian, like Tie Quan Yin and Se Zhong, as well as the oolongs from Taiwan. I have been drinking quite a bit of Japanese green tea lately, but I also love the Chinese greens.

It must be wonderful to travel in Yunnan province and the Wuyi area. I have seen photos. bearsbearsbears of this forum has traveled quite a bit in China, specifically going to learn about tea. You might want to send him a PM (Personal Message) in case he hasn't seen this thread.

At the moment I am enjoying a year 2005 Menghai 7562 ripe/cooked/shu puerh from a brick. It's good but it takes 2 or 3 rinses to get the "swamp" smell out of it. You might enjoy Hop_Goblin's blog about puerh at http://ancientteahorseroad.blogspot.com/ . He is the guy who posted just above.

Does GZ stand for Guangzhou?

Hey Sal, thanks for the kuddos! :)

Mar 14th, '08, 06:12

by MoGa » Mar 14th, '08, 06:12

Hello jennifer

I do hope you'll find the time to contribute your thoughts and opinions here. There's so much about Chinese tea I've still to learn, it would be wonderful t have the chance to share your experiences.
Salsero wrote: You might enjoy Hop_Goblin's blog about puerh at http://ancientteahorseroad.blogspot.com/ . He is the guy who posted just above.
What a great blog!!! I've really enjoyed reading this. Thank you!

Mar 14th, '08, 09:23

by hop_goblin » Mar 14th, '08, 09:23

MoGa wrote:Hello jennifer

I do hope you'll find the time to contribute your thoughts and opinions here. There's so much about Chinese tea I've still to learn, it would be wonderful t have the chance to share your experiences.
Salsero wrote: You might enjoy Hop_Goblin's blog about puerh at http://ancientteahorseroad.blogspot.com/ . He is the guy who posted just above.
What a great blog!!! I've really enjoyed reading this. Thank you!
Ahhhh thanks! You've made my day!

Mar 14th, '08, 11:41

which one is better for storing Puer tea

by Chinese tea » Mar 14th, '08, 11:41

Sal, I am so glad to know that you prefer the dry storage Puer tea. But, in the past few years, when Puer started to be popular, a lot of Chinese, HK and Taiwan Puer dealers quickened the process of green or ripe Puer tea fermentation by placing them on a comparatively dry surroundings, with the purpose to sell Puer tea at a good price. Still, up to now, a lot of chinese people drink wet storage Puer tea. That is another reason why there is a tendency that other tea drinkers dont like Puer tea at all, due to the stale smell from the wet storage Puer, which is a misleading information for the first Puer tea drinkers. Besides, in HK, Taiwan and mainland China, there is a fierce discussion which storage of Puer tea is most appropriate? You know, there is a HK storage, dry storage, wet storage. Some people prefer puer tea from HK storage, but some prefer others. Therefore, it is still very hard to define which one is better.

In what way you prepare Puer tea, using Kongfu method or others? I would like to hear how you prepare Puer tea for yourself to enjoy.

There is Chinese Famous Tea Expo in April in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province. and there is an international tea expo in Shanghai in May. Do you like to come and see the geniune part of other chinese tea? I will go to take part in these expos then. Pls let me know your idea. Thx

Mar 14th, '08, 12:48

Re: which one is better for storing Puer tea

by Salsero » Mar 14th, '08, 12:48

Chinese tea wrote:In what way you prepare Puer tea, using Kongfu method or others? I would like to hear how you prepare Puer tea for yourself to enjoy.
It seem to me that the common way in USA and UK to prepare the puerh tea is gong fu method. Generally I use 4 grams to 8 grams of tea with 100 to 150 ml of water to prepare puerh for myself alone. I use either a little Yixing style teapot:
ImageImageor a little cup (with cover and plate) which we call gaiwan in English:Image but I do not know how you call it in Chinese. There seem to be many words for gaiwan in Chinese. Could you tell me how you call it?
Chinese tea wrote:There is Chinese Famous Tea Expo in April in Hangzhou, Zhejiang province. and there is an international tea expo in Shanghai in May. Do you like to come and see the geniune part of other chinese tea? I will go to take part in these expos then.
I will not be attending either of these events but they sound like terrific opportunities to learn and to have a little fun with tea and people.

Mar 15th, '08, 09:15

by Chinese tea » Mar 15th, '08, 09:15

Hi Sal,

In China, we also call it Gaiwan in Pinyin(Chinese phonetic pronunciation). I guess it is hard for foreigners to find the equivalent word for Chinese Gaiwan, so they still keep using Chinese phonetic to present this three parts of cup.

I see from your attached pictures that you have drank Tie Guan Yin, an some Yancha, and Puer tea. But from the looking of your Puer tea soup, it is so dark, and seems like a puer tea from wet storage. No offense, just judging. So would you pls tell me your feeling for the Puer tea in the attached picture? Thx

+ Post Reply