Hi from a new student of tea.

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

May 21st, '09, 04:20

by olivierco » May 21st, '09, 04:20

Welcome!

May 21st, '09, 11:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 21st, '09, 11:59

Greetings David, welcome to TeaChat. I am looking forward to seeing you around the place.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 26th, '09, 08:38

by syscrusher » May 26th, '09, 08:38

Having had a bit more time to take all these teas in, here are some more impressions.

I find myself more and more picking up the green teas as first choice, particularly the Japanese ones, though the Chinese one is quite lovely too. The green teas have a really delicate sweetness that I find so pleasing.

The black teas have been a mixed affair. I had gotten a first and second flush from a single estate - Thurbo, but I'm not keen on either. There is a kind of bitter licorice flavour common to both, which I guess must be typical of the estate. It doesn't do it for me.

On the other hand, a second flush from Phuguri is just stellar. Sweet, malty, almost floral/fruity. In fact it was only the Thurbo I haven't liked. The Maragaret's Hope first flush was also quite nice, as were the Chinese black teas.

The Pu Erh, I've already spoken about. I like.

The white tea flower, I found to my dismay, actually has some sort of flower at it center, so I remain unclear as to how much of what I was tasting was due to the tea, and how much due to the flower. It was pleasantly sweet, without having an abundant flavour, I think I will have to revisit white tea at a later point.

I never found the Oolong, perhaps I didn't buy it after all.

The Rooibos and Lapacho I also enjoyed. The rooibos reminded me of Strawberry jelly (Jell-O), having a viscosity, and faintly sweet, berry like aromas. The Lapacho, kind of butterscotch-like, took a long steep though.

Speaking of tisanes (I guess that's what they are called). Not sure how many tea-people know of Cascara. It is a tea made from dried coffee cherries. It's quite lovely, sweet, reminiscent of dates/figs/raisins. A seriously big caffeine kick too.

Here's a video showing it:

http://vimeo.com/2161915

May 26th, '09, 09:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » May 26th, '09, 09:41

syscrusher wrote:

Speaking of tisanes (I guess that's what they are called). Not sure how many tea-people know of Cascara. It is a tea made from dried coffee cherries. It's quite lovely, sweet, reminiscent of dates/figs/raisins. A seriously big caffeine kick too.

Here's a video showing it:

http://vimeo.com/2161915
Is it a Tisane?

Perhaps this should be posted under the 'Other Tea' forum, TeaChatters have been wondering for a while what to post there! :lol: :lol:
Best wishes from Cheshire

May 26th, '09, 11:39

by syscrusher » May 26th, '09, 11:39

I dunno, it's a tea-like drink / infusion.

Great as an iced - "tea"

May 27th, '09, 05:37

by cherylopal » May 27th, '09, 05:37

syscrusher wrote: I find myself more and more picking up the green teas as first choice,

+1 on the green tea

the cascara sounds interesting and yummy- do you have a good source for it??

and welcome from someone who loves coffee and tea!
cheryl :)

May 27th, '09, 08:00

by syscrusher » May 27th, '09, 08:00

I don't at the moment have a source for Cascara. The stuff from last year came from El Salvador, and I haven't seen any new season coffee from there yet.

+ Post Reply