Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Feb 18th, '17, 09:51

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by tst » Feb 18th, '17, 09:51

jayinhk wrote:
tst wrote: Looking to buy some kind of roasted Wuyi (anything really ... Shui Xian, DHP, etc.). Saw W2T has a Shui Xian, but haven't tried that one. Have tried one from EoT, but that was years ago. Any recommendations for me? Really craving something!

Thanks!
I am totally a high roast shuixian nut. I have a few on my site--they might interest you! I am adding an everyday drinking-grade shuixian very soon (in fact, I should do that right now)!
Thanks for the response! How do I find the link to your site?

Nm, found it ... :) Thanks again.

Feb 18th, '17, 12:21
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 18th, '17, 12:21

tst wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
tst wrote: Looking to buy some kind of roasted Wuyi (anything really ... Shui Xian, DHP, etc.). Saw W2T has a Shui Xian, but haven't tried that one. Have tried one from EoT, but that was years ago. Any recommendations for me? Really craving something!

Thanks!
I am totally a high roast shuixian nut. I have a few on my site--they might interest you! I am adding an everyday drinking-grade shuixian very soon (in fact, I should do that right now)!
Thanks for the response! How do I find the link to your site?

Nm, found it ... :) Thanks again.
Thanks for the interest :) I actually started a session with a high roast shuixian (that I won't be selling) after talking about it!

Feb 22nd, '17, 16:41

by cwj » Feb 22nd, '17, 16:41

Currently watching Star Trek and sipping some Formosa Amber Oolong Select from Upton. This is one of my daily drinkers that I like to keep around for when I'm just not sure what I want to drink :)
I brewed it western style using 4g leaf in my 300ml pot, and drinking from my 120ml double walled cup which I really like.
I just keep the pot, kettle and cup on my table and drink away the afternoon. I'll probably re-steep this one twice more before trying to do something productive :)

Feb 22nd, '17, 18:02

by Brandeemk » Feb 22nd, '17, 18:02

I'm drinking a gorgeous unrolled oolong I bought this summer, while enjoying a day off while binging K-Drama ( I'm about to finish Bromance, ***** for sure). This oolong was grown here locally in Salem by Minto Island Growers. Their CSA sits on the Willamette river floodplain and has rich black earth. I'm sad I only bought a 5 gram bag. I used 1 tsp in a 8oz. Chinese clay pot with the water at 200 and steeped for 2.5 minutes. Gorgeous. I drank 2 steepings and am warming more water for a third. This tea really surprised me. I bought it this summer and it went into the tea box, only to be pulled out today.

Feb 22nd, '17, 18:18

by debunix » Feb 22nd, '17, 18:18

Brandeemk wrote: IThis oolong was grown here locally in Salem by Minto Island Growers.....This tea really surprised me. I bought it this summer and it went into the tea box, only to be pulled out today.
Maybe next year you can buy MORE!

Feb 22nd, '17, 18:42

by cwj » Feb 22nd, '17, 18:42

Brandeemk wrote: I'm drinking a gorgeous unrolled oolong I bought this summer, while enjoying a day off while binging K-Drama ( I'm about to finish Bromance, ***** for sure). This oolong was grown here locally in Salem by Minto Island Growers. Their CSA sits on the Willamette river floodplain and has rich black earth. I'm sad I only bought a 5 gram bag. I used 1 tsp in a 8oz. Chinese clay pot with the water at 200 and steeped for 2.5 minutes. Gorgeous. I drank 2 steepings and am warming more water for a third. This tea really surprised me. I bought it this summer and it went into the tea box, only to be pulled out today.
That's really cool, I've actually never once tried a tea grown in USA. I noticed some is grown in Hawaii and SC as well as OR I believe, and one of these days I'll get around to trying some American grown tea as I'm very curious about it :)

Feb 22nd, '17, 23:18

by debunix » Feb 22nd, '17, 23:18

I've been amazed by the strength of flavor in Hawaiian grown oolong that I've bought from Hilo Coffee Mill, and recently when my friend in Japan attended a tea event, among the mostly green tea samples he brought me was a 'volcano black tea' from Hawaii that is also a very fine tea.

I've also had one very tasty white tea grown on the central California coast, which sounded like a farmer who liked tea planted a few dozen plants for fun, and a friend knew someone who knew someone and gave me a sample of a few tea bags.

That's it for me and US-grown teas. But this conversation reminded me to look up what is happening with Roy Fong's plan to grow tea in California: according to this article from December in the SF paper, plans are moving along, very slowly. Now I wonder how this year's heavy rains are affecting his property and plants, whether there will ever be commercially available tea, and if it will be any good.

Feb 24th, '17, 00:17

by Brandeemk » Feb 24th, '17, 00:17

Maybe next year you can buy MORE!
[/quote]

Oh, believe me I am going to. I'm brewing my second pot now. I'm going to be sad when this 5g is gone.

Feb 24th, '17, 16:09

by cwj » Feb 24th, '17, 16:09

Just finished some Da Hong Pao (Music City Tea), and now about to have a little session with Upton's Se Chung...a rather odd oolong that has really grown on me lately.
5g leaf in a 85ml (give or take) gaiwan.

Unfortunately I woke up today with a bad cold...sore throat, cough, all that fun stuff.
The teas are really soothing my throat so I may just drink all day :)

Feb 25th, '17, 22:57

by debunix » Feb 25th, '17, 22:57

cwj wrote: Unfortunately I woke up today with a bad cold...sore throat, cough, all that fun stuff.

Sounds like you have an excellent plan for dealing with a the cold. Feel better soon, and enjoy your tea!

Feb 26th, '17, 15:44

by debunix » Feb 26th, '17, 15:44

Enjoying Song Zhong #5 dancong from TeaHabitat. So floral, sweet but not cloying, just lovely.

Feb 26th, '17, 16:47

by cwj » Feb 26th, '17, 16:47

debunix wrote:
cwj wrote: Unfortunately I woke up today with a bad cold...sore throat, cough, all that fun stuff.

Sounds like you have an excellent plan for dealing with a the cold. Feel better soon, and enjoy your tea!
Thank you my friend!
I'm slowly mending, but my colds always tend to drag on it seems. At least the sore throat is better...ugh I hate having sore throats.
Enjoy your day!

Mar 1st, '17, 16:51

by cwj » Mar 1st, '17, 16:51

Just about fully recovered from that rather nasty cold (finally!), and warming up with a session of Bao Zhong (Music City Tea). I'm not normally fond of this style, but this one is rather flavorful and aromatic..."buttery" even :)
6g leaf in a ~115ml gaiwan.

Enjoy your tea my friends.

Mar 1st, '17, 21:46
Vendor Member

by ethan » Mar 1st, '17, 21:46

cwj wrote: warming up with a session of Bao Zhong (Music City Tea). I'm not normally fond of this style, but this one is rather flavorful and aromatic..."buttery" even :)
+1 I used to think Bao Zhong was not for me; however, last October lucked into finding a good one. For a few weeks it was fruity & aromatic; then it changed. I don't know how to describe it now but I like it. What's strange is that I have some inexpensive teabags of dong ding tea that also give the same flavor that I cannot put a name to.

Mar 2nd, '17, 16:01

by cwj » Mar 2nd, '17, 16:01

ethan wrote:
cwj wrote: warming up with a session of Bao Zhong (Music City Tea). I'm not normally fond of this style, but this one is rather flavorful and aromatic..."buttery" even :)
+1 I used to think Bao Zhong was not for me; however, last October lucked into finding a good one. For a few weeks it was fruity & aromatic; then it changed. I don't know how to describe it now but I like it. What's strange is that I have some inexpensive teabags of dong ding tea that also give the same flavor that I cannot put a name to.
Yeah I really didn't think I'd find a Bao Zhong that I'd enjoy. I guess it shows to not give up on any style of tea :)

I know what you mean about certain flavors...I often have a hard time coming up with an analogy, and words like "buttery", "honey", "dark fruit" or "floral" are the best I can usually come up with. :)
Cheers to you!

+ Post Reply