Tea Tasting

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 23rd, '17, 16:40

Tea Tasting

by Ofek Nagar » Apr 23rd, '17, 16:40

Hi there,
I'm relatively new to the true tea world, though very passionate..
When I just started my tea journey I bought some teas online which were discovered to be of very-very low quality.. Now I know a bit more about tea so I bought some new teas, hopefully of a higher quality..
I watch a lot of these tea tasting videos on YouTube (like Tea DB, and Mei leaf), and I am fascinated by the flavor descriptions. Woody, Nutty, Earthy, Malty, Leather etc... I never thought tea can have such a complex flavor! I'm very excited about getting really serious into tea, and experiencing all those flavors; but I'm a bit concerned of not being able to pick up those flavors... I don't know.. those descriptions sound so pretentious.. I don't know if I have such creative imagination, and a highly developed palate. What if I buy all these teas and they taste to me just like teabags?
I guess what I'm asking is, firstly, are those flavors easy or hard to pick up?
if they are hard to pick up, if it doesn't come easy - then what can I do to develop my palate, develop my sense of taste?
Thanks in advanced, Ofek

Apr 23rd, '17, 16:56
Vendor Member

Re: Tea Tasting

by ethan » Apr 23rd, '17, 16:56

Welcome to Teachat. Although many of us have wondered how sensitive we may or may not be to all the flavors, the main thing is not to identify and name flavors, but to enjoy tea. There are days I may not perceive distinct flavors and other days when I am tasting them but the words won't come. No matter if the tea is being enjoyed.

I think you will know when you find quality even if you don't think "that's woody & earthy". We have an easier time advising when you mention specifically what kinds of teas you are drinking .... more info. You should mention where you are as some people are familiar with vendors in USA & others with European vendors, etc. Good luck.

Apr 23rd, '17, 16:59

by victoria3 » Apr 23rd, '17, 16:59

Welcome to the forum Ofek, hope you introduce yourself under Welcome section. I think it takes a while to catch all the nuances and complexity of flavors found in oolongs and other teas as well. The range of flavors reveal themselves possibly by comparison to other teas, while one is buttery sweet /roasted almonds another might be musky /camphor minty. I still find some flavors really difficult to pinpoint and define so refer to other reviewers terms and or tasting compendiums in search of a proper description like this one; http://www.teausa.org//index.cfm/14656/ ... -of-terms/
Here on teachat you will find a pretty sophisticated palate and a good guide to acquiring quality oolongs with an upfront range of flavors.

p.s. this chart may also be useful http://teamasters.org/tea-aroma/
Last edited by victoria3 on Apr 23rd, '17, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 23rd, '17, 17:10

by Ofek Nagar » Apr 23rd, '17, 17:10

ethan wrote: Welcome to Teachat. Although many of us have wondered how sensitive we may or may not be to all the flavors, the main thing is not to identify and name flavors, but to enjoy tea. There are days I may not perceive distinct flavors and other days when I am tasting them but the words won't come. No matter if the tea is being enjoyed.
Thank you that helps a lot! But still - is there anything you can do to improve and develop your palate?
ethan wrote: We have an easier time advising when you mention specifically what kinds of teas you are drinking .... more info.
I don't understand what you're referring to... By "we" do you mean "TeaChat?" and what do you mean by "easier time advising"...?
Thanks!

May 3rd, '17, 00:00

by janet11 » May 3rd, '17, 00:00

I like the incense slip strong taste. so,I will choose some Chinese black tea,such as Lapsang souchong, DIan Hong tea, keemun black tea and dahongpao tea. will you like these?

+ Post Reply