Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 24th, '17, 01:29

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by victoria3 » Apr 24th, '17, 01:29

William wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Yes, porous clays really work well with roasted oolongs, that's why Hokujo's stoneware pots work so well for me as well as zini.
Thanks to a generous friend, I have had the good fortune of using Hokujo's clay for a couple of months. I totally agree with you Victoria, Hokujo's clay pairs wonderfully with roasted oolongs .. oddly, I also liked how it paired with DanCong, a typical low fired tea.
O,h will have to try with DanCong also. May I ask which ones did you pair with?

Apr 24th, '17, 05:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Apr 24th, '17, 05:43

victoria3 wrote:
I tried Hokujo's clay with MiLanXiang, SongZhong, MiHuaXiang, YeLaiXiang, DaHuaXiang, BaXiang, etc. .. so far so good. I personally liked the most this clay with DanCong having a couple of years and a good roast, while with really fresh DanCong or gently roasted, still prefer other clays.

Strange thing, I didn't like how this clay paired with Yancha.

Apr 24th, '17, 10:18

by joelbct » Apr 24th, '17, 10:18

Interesting. This is mine (front pair), and the Bizen cups I like them with. They've had only sencha tho so I'm not sure if want to use for Oolong.

Apr 24th, '17, 12:17

by William » Apr 24th, '17, 12:17

joelbct wrote:
Interesting. This is mine (front pair), and the Bizen cups I like them with. They've had only sencha tho so I'm not sure if want to use for Oolong.
I think Hokujo works with many different clays, since your kyusu (beautiful, btw!) looks to be made of a different one.
You can see the clay I am referring to here: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=12445&p=293932#p293932

Apr 24th, '17, 13:38

by victoria3 » Apr 24th, '17, 13:38

William wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
I tried Hokujo's clay with MiLanXiang, SongZhong, MiHuaXiang, YeLaiXiang, DaHuaXiang, BaXiang, etc. .. so far so good. I personally liked the most this clay with DanCong having a couple of years and a good roast, while with really fresh DanCong or gently roasted, still prefer other clays.

Strange thing, I didn't like how this clay paired with Yancha.
Haven't had aged roasted DanCong yet. Where are you getting your from, Hojo? I went to a couple of tastings at TeaHabitat here in Los Angeles but they were mostly green.

Apr 24th, '17, 13:40

by victoria3 » Apr 24th, '17, 13:40

William wrote:
joelbct wrote:
I think Hokujo works with many different clays, since your kyusu (beautiful, btw!) looks to be made of a different one.
You can see the clay I am referring to here: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=12445&p=293932#p293932
I forgot he works with other clays. Nice pots joelbct. Is the blackened reduction fired one black inside as well?

Apr 24th, '17, 13:56

by William » Apr 24th, '17, 13:56

victoria3 wrote:
Haven't had aged roasted DanCong yet. Where are you getting your from, Hojo? I went to a couple of tastings at TeaHabitat here in Los Angeles but they were mostly green.
Yep. Not cheap but wonderful quality. I personally like both new season's harvest, usually available from late summer onwards, and those that already rested a couple of years. Passed the 5/7 years mark, the tea start loosing its character in my opinion ..

Apr 24th, '17, 18:13

Re: RE: Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by joelbct » Apr 24th, '17, 18:13

victoria3 wrote:I forgot he works with other clays. Nice pots joelbct. Is the blackened reduction fired one black inside as well?
The bigger kyusu? Yeah it's black inside too, has a wire mesh inside tho which is annoying to clean, tho, so I don't use it.

More stuff I picked up back in 2008, from ebay and a few Japanese sites:
Wrong thread, I know, sorry:)

Apr 24th, '17, 23:58

by victoria3 » Apr 24th, '17, 23:58

I have one red clay kyusu from Dens, from a 10$ promo sale, with screen that I sometimes use for very fine fukamushi leaves. It's actually not too shabby, a bit heavy, but functional. Not as aesthetically pleasing as yours though :D I'm actually surprise to hear Hokujo made any pots with screens.

Apr 25th, '17, 06:12

by William » Apr 25th, '17, 06:12

joelbct wrote:
Lovely shino cup! :shock:
You sure have good taste .. 8)

Apr 25th, '17, 08:01

by joelbct » Apr 25th, '17, 08:01

Thanks William. The "gold" yunomi is by Suzuki Tomio http://www.2000cranes.com/Suzuki-Tomio.html
victoria3 wrote:I'm actually surprise to hear Hokujo made any pots with screens.
Cool, yah I couldn't resist one red and one black raku chawan.

The black kyusu with mesh screen is not a Hokujo. My pieces by him are the smaller (nicer, Hokujo-ish-looking!) yohen one (with matching yuzamashi), with a beautiful sasame clay filter by the spout.

Apr 27th, '17, 01:52

by victoria3 » Apr 27th, '17, 01:52

Glad to get that cleared up joel, Hokujo and a metal screen felt off.
Fooling around with my new variable temp kettle which I got for group tastings at my house. Nice how it gives me mobility to steep wherever there's an outlet. Elena at Té company gifted me some lightly oxidized Buddha's Hand so I gave it a test drive in Shawn McGuiers 80ml shiboridashi. 8gr/75ml/200F/60sec. I think this oolong needs either very hot water or more room to move, it really didn't open up until the 3rd steep even then was so so. Or maybe it needed to breath for 24hrs.

Next up her Pear Mountain at South Ridge LiShan which I decided to try in an early 90s Yixing Qing Shui Ni Shui Ping 85ml that I got from ferg. This LiShan is very buttery sweet so was curious if this low fired pot would bring out aromatics, more so than Hongni or Neiwailinghong. I didn't notice any discernible bump in aromatics or body. I kind of knew this but wanted to try anyway. Best keep this pot for other higher roasted oolongs. Still getting to know several pots I got from ferg...

Apr 27th, '17, 02:01
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 27th, '17, 02:01

victoria3 wrote: Glad to get that cleared up joel, Hokujo and a metal screen felt off.
Fooling around with my new variable temp kettle which I got for group tastings at my house. Nice how it gives me mobility to steep wherever there's an outlet. Elena at Té company gifted me some lightly oxidized Buddha's Hand so I gave it a test drive in Shawn McGuiers 80ml shiboridashi. 8gr/75ml/200F/60sec. I think this oolong needs either very hot water or more room to move, it really didn't open up until the 3rd steep even then was so so. Or maybe it needed to breath for 24hrs.

Next up her Pear Mountain at South Ridge LiShan which I decided to try in an early 90s Yixing Qing Shui Ni Shui Ping 85ml that I got from ferg. This LiShan is very buttery sweet so was curious if this low fired pot would bring out aromatics, more so than Hongni or Neiwailinghong. I didn't notice any discernible bump in aromatics or body. I kind of knew this but wanted to try anyway. Best keep this pot for other higher roasted oolongs. Still getting to know several pots I got from ferg...
That QSN might do very well with dank pu as well!

Apr 27th, '17, 02:14

by victoria3 » Apr 27th, '17, 02:14

jayinhk wrote:
Ok, will try it with some pu that ferg gave me, so far I've only had terrible pu so will be interesting.

Apr 27th, '17, 05:15
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 27th, '17, 05:15

victoria3 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Ok, will try it with some pu that ferg gave me, so far I've only had terrible pu so will be interesting.
Anything Ferg sent you should be decent. Was it the Camphor Aroma Sheng from EoT?

+ Post Reply