Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

May 4th, '17, 23:50

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Bok » May 4th, '17, 23:50

kyarazen wrote:
Bok wrote: The way he describes the tea in Chinese is only June white, so I am not sure it is a Dong ding at all, my impression from tasting it was that it is more of an hybrid, almost hints of Oriental Beauty qualities.
dongding too! and also charcoal roasted. june white is in the middle of the summer season and the tea leaves do get bug bitten.

june white is a special "season", so is the real "dong pian/winter slice".
these are in mid season where for no reason the tea bushes decide to sprout tender buds, allowing the tea farmers to pick and process, sometimes almost entirely hand processed due to the low yields unlike the major seasons :D
Thanks for the clarification! I knew about dong pian (a personal favourite of mine), but not that June white is a similar category. Cheers!

May 5th, '17, 03:12

by kyarazen » May 5th, '17, 03:12

Bok wrote: Thanks for the clarification! I knew about dong pian (a personal favourite of mine), but not that June white is a similar category. Cheers!
am heading over in a couple of weeks to catch some leaves and make my own tea :D ~~

May 5th, '17, 03:19

by Bok » May 5th, '17, 03:19

kyarazen wrote:
Bok wrote: Thanks for the clarification! I knew about dong pian (a personal favourite of mine), but not that June white is a similar category. Cheers!
am heading over in a couple of weeks to catch some leaves and make my own tea :D ~~
Wow! With your experience and palate, that is going to be something!

May 5th, '17, 22:39

by janet11 » May 5th, '17, 22:39

Chinese Wuyi Dahongpao.

May 8th, '17, 13:04

by victoria3 » May 8th, '17, 13:04

It's been cooler and rainy here along the coast lately, so perfect for HY Chen's road ready most economical Roasted High Mountain. Good stuff. A perfect trio between his roasted oolongs, Hojuko kyusu & Akira Satake yunomi. Lots of wabi-sabi going on.

May 9th, '17, 19:53

by victoria3 » May 9th, '17, 19:53

On the prowl after a session with Hau Yin Chen's organic Primitive Wild Forest LiShan. This oolong has very high energetics, it vibrates. The leaves are rolled into big forest green balls. The elegantly liquor is buttery sweet and floral with a high mineral content. Steeped in mid/late 80s F1, HongNi Duo QiuShui by Fang Jian Fen 100ml
Attachments
LiShan Primitive Wild Forest L1000297sm.jpg
LiShan Primitive Wild Forest L1000297sm.jpg (71.6 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
LiShan Primitive Wild Forest L1000306sm.jpg
1st & 2nd steep with Yixing Neiziwahong clay Houhin in background
LiShan Primitive Wild Forest L1000306sm.jpg (60.63 KiB) Viewed 1203 times

May 9th, '17, 21:16

by chrl42 » May 9th, '17, 21:16

victoria3 wrote: On the prowl after a session with Hau Yin Chen's organic Primitive Wild Forest LiShan. This oolong has very high energetics, it vibrates. The leaves are rolled into big forest green balls. The elegantly liquor is buttery sweet and floral with a high mineral content. Steeped in mid/late 80s F1, HongNi Duo QiuShui by Fang Jian Fen 100ml
Love that 70s Houhin, I used to have a smaller flat version (250ml)..

May 9th, '17, 23:06

by victoria3 » May 9th, '17, 23:06

chrl42 wrote:
victoria3 wrote: On the prowl after a session with Hau Yin Chen's organic Primitive Wild Forest LiShan. This oolong has very high energetics, it vibrates. The leaves are rolled into big forest green balls. The elegantly liquor is buttery sweet and floral with a high mineral content. Steeped in mid/late 80s F1, HongNi Duo QiuShui by Fang Jian Fen 100ml
Love that 70s Houhin, I used to have a smaller flat version (250ml)..
The smaller one is the one I cleaned in my Awakening & Resetting post. Both the larger and smaller houhins inspired learning how to reset yixing, the large one had a really bad clay mildew odor for several years and the small one I bought knowing I'd need to clean it :D I really like this clay, it smooths out my everyday mid grade oolong amazingly well. For a long time I wanted to give that oolong up, as it is not stellar, but this houhin improves it so much that I still order it by the pound.

May 10th, '17, 03:25
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » May 10th, '17, 03:25

Sipping right now some unroasted Li Shan from last year's harvest. Good stamina despite being almost one year old. Buttery flavors with a touch of ripe fruits.

May 16th, '17, 06:17

by kuánglóng » May 16th, '17, 06:17

Sipping some organic Dong Ding, made by a taiwanese guy who settled in HuangShan, Anhui many years ago. Pretty sweetish and floral oolong, with excellent stamina and distinct notes of chamomille after some rounds.

May 17th, '17, 15:26

by mael » May 17th, '17, 15:26

I finished today the Zheng wei tie guan yin I bought last year. It is a 2016 spring harvest tea, from Gande garden 600m alt (reading the pocket). Huacha n°7 (? is it cultivar, those teas are not single bush right?). I bought it in a nice teashop in Paris.
Was not very impressed when I first have it and drank it slowly during summer, then autuwn, then winter. But after a break I had sessions and maybe because it reachs maturity after one year of aging, now I found it very enjoyable. Long lasting sweet and flowery tea. Unfortunately it was the last two sessions and I ran out of it.
Now it is time to get new tie guan yin, do you know any specialized webstore with info and choice between different tie guan yin cultivar ?

May 22nd, '17, 11:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » May 22nd, '17, 11:27

I just finished a strong session with some deep roasted ShuiXien (I have no idea from whom I bought it from :cry: ). It should be from 2010 or so. Deep chocolate/woody flavors .. really really yummy. This is the typical tea I bring with me when traveling.
I used a Zini clay tall SP from the R.O.C. period, 100 ml. It was a good pair.

May 22nd, '17, 22:35

by victoria3 » May 22nd, '17, 22:35

After a long flight back West I thoroughly enjoyed HY Chen's Medium Roast DongDing Winter 2016. I tweaked the steeping parameters slightly and now it is much better; used less leaf, less time 11gr/240ml/209f/1min. I had been using parameters from his Spring version and it really was off. Interesting how much a difference using 1gram less, 20ml more, 20 seconds less makes.

May 23rd, '17, 09:55

by dizzo » May 23rd, '17, 09:55

Today I am having a medium roast dong ding from 2016. My wife wanted some too so I am doing 5 grams at 190F western style for 2 minutes. (she insists on a american coffee cup size serving)
A very enjoyable brew. Looking forward to peeling away the layers through gong fu.
This is the first time I have tried this particular tea. I almost always gong fu, but I am finding this interesting. It is fun to taste the full flavor profile first and imagine how it will be when I take this tea apart!

May 26th, '17, 07:53

by MarcusReed » May 26th, '17, 07:53

2015 spring harvest Shiru from Chaceremony :)

+ Post Reply