Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 18th, '17, 15:13

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by victoria3 » Jun 18th, '17, 15:13

Really, really, like Té Company's medium charcoal roasted Honeyed Evergreen oolong from AliShan. It tastes just like its name, like sipping on sweet subtle evergreen pine needles with hints of dates, walnuts and peony. A very rich flavor profile that steeps well into 6 or 7 brews.

I followed with HY Chen's 2016 Charcoal Medium Roast DongDing JuneWhite which was a perfect seque. The Honeyed Evergreen lingering palate brought out a range of spicy notes in Chen's JuneWhite. Into the 5th steep I decided to add to the pot a few rosemary pedals. Excellent results both in flavor and aroma.
Hojuko w HY Chens 2016 Charcoal Medium Roast DongDing JuneWhite 1596_3.jpg
Hojuko w HY Chens 2016 Charcoal Medium Roast DongDing JuneWhite 1596_3.jpg (60.77 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
Hokujo kyusu- correction
Last edited by victoria3 on Jun 19th, '17, 01:50, edited 3 times in total.

Jun 18th, '17, 23:13

by Aya » Jun 18th, '17, 23:13

I am drinking jingxuan dongdingwulongcha from YouCha, brewed in my Gafu teapot, with organic sugared lemon peel.

Jun 19th, '17, 01:26
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 19th, '17, 01:26

High Roller from Dr. Chen in Tainan: This properly stored oolong do not lose any characteristics; so, there is more than the flavor from the traditional charcoal roast. Excellent.

Jun 19th, '17, 16:27
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 19th, '17, 16:27

Winterpeace from Dr. Chen. I think technically this is oolong, just oxidized enough not to be called a green tea. There is no taste of roasting. So delicious. I think in the winter I had been upping temperature but today was at 88C & quick steeping brought out sweetness making me think of honeysuckle & non-bitter vegetal flavor that tasted as if a bit of sweet butter had melted.....
(I usually don't get so particular about naming details of what I like....)

Jun 19th, '17, 17:06

by victoria3 » Jun 19th, '17, 17:06

ethan wrote: Winterpeace from Dr. Chen. I think technically this is oolong, just oxidized enough not to be called a green tea. There is no taste of roasting. So delicious. I think in the winter I had been upping temperature but today was at 88C & quick steeping brought out sweetness making me think of honeysuckle & non-bitter vegetal flavor that tasted as if a bit of sweet butter had melted.....
(I usually don't get so particular about naming details of what I like....)
That sound very good! Tasting details can be very helpful.

Jun 20th, '17, 03:23

by Arkose » Jun 20th, '17, 03:23

ethan wrote: (I usually don't get so particular about naming details of what I like....)
That's when you know you've got to stock up.

Jun 20th, '17, 16:50

by dizzo » Jun 20th, '17, 16:50

I purchased some cheaper offerings from Taiwan Sourcing. These are all for work because I cant really put a lot of effort into brewing. Today I had the "Winter Rhythm" from 2015. A very modest priced tea with excellent flavor. Very multi layered. Lasted several very good infusions.

Jun 22nd, '17, 18:44

by victoria3 » Jun 22nd, '17, 18:44

A 2017 Spring showdown is imminent between Shiuwen's Floating Leaves & Elena's Té Company Spring LiShans. Both were awesome last year so I'm looking forward to back to back tasting. Right now enjoying Elena's 2016 Pear Mountain at South Ridge LiShan, full bodied and super smooth sweet buttery and fruity through multiple steeps (7-9). It's nice to know two women on opposite coasts with such refined palates.

Jun 22nd, '17, 23:31

by kyarazen » Jun 22nd, '17, 23:31

drinking a blended and roased oolong from a local merchant. its one of the recipes that they have been selling for over half a century, and instrumental to their business survival, importing different types of leaf and blending/re-roasting locally

Jun 23rd, '17, 12:24
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 23rd, '17, 12:24

kyarazen wrote: drinking a blended and roased oolong from a local merchant. its one of the recipes that they have been selling for over half a century, and instrumental to their business survival, importing different types of leaf and blending/re-roasting locally
Which one? :) I stocked up at Pek Sin Choon when I was in SG last!
Last edited by jayinhk on Jun 24th, '17, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 23rd, '17, 15:48

by JimMinor » Jun 23rd, '17, 15:48

First post :D
My locale seller, sold me a Ba San Cha Ren Dao Hong Pao(fromWuyi Star), i tried to google it, but i found nothing, anyone knows about this?
It's good enough, sweet and smooth with some nuts notes, but has a weak mineral taste.

Jun 24th, '17, 15:36
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 24th, '17, 15:36

High humidity has my tasting capabilities working very well; so, I have concentrated on tea and food today. I've been steeping at lower temperature than usual for roasted oolongs in an attempt to emphasize the flavors that don't come from roasting. I think it has been successful. The Father's Love which was hurt by heat, though not ideal, is delicious w/ many flavors through several infusions. Best is the drink from the serving pitcher which has some of each infusion in it. The Drawer 2 which was also effected by heat, is rougher but still good roast side by side with green gaoshan.
I'm going to take notes. I don't think I need to have so much variety, especially since with the best oolongs that I have, offering different experiences from different preparation.

Jun 26th, '17, 22:30

by kyarazen » Jun 26th, '17, 22:30

jayinhk wrote:
pek's! :D :mrgreen:

the next time you're at peks you could consider checking out 3 shops away, level 2.. i might be there :P

Jun 27th, '17, 00:04
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 27th, '17, 00:04

kyarazen wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
pek's! :D :mrgreen:

the next time you're at peks you could consider checking out 3 shops away, level 2.. i might be there :P
I'll do that! :D

Jun 27th, '17, 04:39

by john.b » Jun 27th, '17, 04:39

I just tried a really nice Oriental Beauty from Vietnam, sold by Hatvala, a vendor that seeks out and sources local teas there. They also work with people on making different teas, like a jasmine black tea I reviewed not so long ago (a tea type common in Indonesia). But this OB is typical of the story of those being made in other places than Taiwan, an extension of the type initiated by people with experience making them in Taiwan.

The tea was great, typical of the normal range, heavy on peach, citrus, and cinnamon. They're usually not quite that fruity, and the flavor-space taken up by citrus could be towards muscatel instead, but in general fruit and spice seems normal. I've tried a Thai version that's ok, just not this good, and a Yunnan version that wasn't nearly as close to the typical style. Essentially there's no point in reading a separate review since I just said most of it, but I'll mention it anyway:

http://teaintheancientworld.blogspot.co ... eauty.html

+ Post Reply