Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 27th, '17, 04:39

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by john.b » Jun 27th, '17, 04:39

I just tried a really nice Oriental Beauty from Vietnam, sold by Hatvala, a vendor that seeks out and sources local teas there. They also work with people on making different teas, like a jasmine black tea I reviewed not so long ago (a tea type common in Indonesia). But this OB is typical of the story of those being made in other places than Taiwan, an extension of the type initiated by people with experience making them in Taiwan.

The tea was great, typical of the normal range, heavy on peach, citrus, and cinnamon. They're usually not quite that fruity, and the flavor-space taken up by citrus could be towards muscatel instead, but in general fruit and spice seems normal. I've tried a Thai version that's ok, just not this good, and a Yunnan version that wasn't nearly as close to the typical style. Essentially there's no point in reading a separate review since I just said most of it, but I'll mention it anyway:

http://teaintheancientworld.blogspot.co ... eauty.html

Jun 27th, '17, 10:34

by ethan » Jun 27th, '17, 10:34

John, That O.B. sounds delicious. I've found the fruit flavors of o.b. vary a lot while the cinnamon seems to be the constant spice flavor (though it does vary a lot in how strong it is).

At about $7 an ounce, Hatvala's gives a good price for top quality also. (In Taiwan top oriental beauty costs > twice as much.)

Thanks for posting blog links.

Jun 27th, '17, 23:20

by bryan_drinks_tea » Jun 27th, '17, 23:20

I finished Jing Tea Shop's 2017 Qi Lan Yancha. Not bad, but it needs more time to rest before drinking again.

Jul 3rd, '17, 11:19

by ethan » Jul 3rd, '17, 11:19

Drinking Dr. Chen's Father's Love: This is such a wonderfully complex oolong, so deeply flavored. The heavy traditional roast does not bury so many other flavors. Some days my palate seems to handle flavors as a rich blend; other days I taste all of them individually; however, I always enjoy them.

I spent 2 weeks drinking High Roller which also is traditionally roasted and has the rich base of quality high-mountain leaves. I've gone from excellent to stupendous the best way for me lately, concentrating on one oolong for a while.

Jul 9th, '17, 12:11

by ethan » Jul 9th, '17, 12:11

Cut the amount of leaves by about a third and steeped much longer to bring out wonderful fruity, tart flavors of Father's Love. This and some other traditionally roasted oolongs that I have, can hit me with very strong roasted flavor dominating, but if prepared this way the flavors are well-balanced. Ceramic tea caddies that breath well definitely handle hot and humid weather well.

Jul 15th, '17, 23:50

by debunix » Jul 15th, '17, 23:50

A particularly lovely session with some AAA Tie Guan Yin from JingTeaShop.com a few days ago at work: I discovered that the IT guy who was helping me with a particularly knotty computer problem likes tea. So when he got it mostly fixed, I brewed up the TGY. It is a light roast version that was wonderful out of the freshly opened bag despite not being vacuum packed, floral and rich and deep, and Jose was just amazed. It was terrific to watch the revelation of just how nice tea can be. He took notes on the tea and I showed him the shop and this site. It will be interesting to see if it 'takes'.....

+ Post Reply