Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 15th, '17, 12:35

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by LAC » Sep 15th, '17, 12:35

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/yeh19msqvxd6s ... g?dl=0/img]
This is the present in taking,
I buy it in a store in my city.
But wanting to taste other variants.
I was wrong to post, rather puher.
I am sorry

Sep 15th, '17, 23:29

by Chrysanthemum » Sep 15th, '17, 23:29

I drink a Milk Oolong from Rebel Coffee Roastery and Tea Lounge. Not sure what the exact name is, as I usually store it in a tea tin and then toss the bag. I was first introduced to oolong about 7 or 8 years ago. It's one of my favorites.

Sep 15th, '17, 23:32

by Chrysanthemum » Sep 15th, '17, 23:32

victoria3 wrote: Enjoying TeaFul's AliShan on a rainy afternoon in Annapolis on the Chesapeake Bay. Really smooth buttery aroma and flavor, steeped thick at 11gr/220ml/205f/60sec. in a porcelain kyusu, with my traveling Seifu Yohei III cup, and wine decanters. TeaFul is a Los Angeles based small artisanal Tea company. IMG_1990.JPG
What a beautiful kyusu! Your oolong sounds wonderful. Not sure if I would describe a buttery flavor for the oolongs I have tried so far.

Sep 16th, '17, 13:09

by victoria3 » Sep 16th, '17, 13:09

Chrysanthemum wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Enjoying TeaFul's AliShan on a rainy afternoon in Annapolis on the Chesapeake Bay. Really smooth buttery aroma and flavor, steeped thick at 11gr/220ml/205f/60sec. in a porcelain kyusu, with my traveling Seifu Yohei III cup, and wine decanters. TeaFul is a Los Angeles based small artisanal Tea company. IMG_1990.JPG
What a beautiful kyusu! Your oolong sounds wonderful. Not sure if I would describe a buttery flavor for the oolongs I have tried so far.
High quality LiShan is by definition smooth and buttery with sweet floral or fruit notes as well as a long lingering after taste. Yesterday, I had an amazing very very special LiShan from Hau Ying Chen, it is the thickest most buttery sweet lingering palate LiShan I've had in a long time. Wow a nockout 🍃
Last edited by victoria3 on Sep 16th, '17, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 16th, '17, 13:25

by victoria3 » Sep 16th, '17, 13:25

Chrysanthemum wrote: I drink a Milk Oolong from Rebel Coffee Roastery and Tea Lounge. Not sure what the exact name is, as I usually store it in a tea tin and then toss the bag. I was first introduced to oolong about 7 or 8 years ago. It's one of my favorites.
Beware that most commercial milk oolongs are doctored with artificial milk scents. If you like this oolong though you could go to the source and just get a high quality sourced Jin Xuan.

Sep 16th, '17, 14:09

Re: RE: Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Chrysanthemum » Sep 16th, '17, 14:09

victoria3 wrote:
Chrysanthemum wrote: I drink a Milk Oolong from Rebel Coffee Roastery and Tea Lounge. Not sure what the exact name is, as I usually store it in a tea tin and then toss the bag. I was first introduced to oolong about 7 or 8 years ago. It's one of my favorites.
Beware that most commercial milk oolongs are doctored with artificial milk scents. If you like this oolong though you could go to the source and just get a high quality sourced Jin Xuan.
I heard recently that that may be the case with the oolong. I do recall a description of mine being that it is steamed in milk water, but read somewhere else that it's not usually the case and that some varieties you don't have to do that.

The oolong I buy isn't cheap, so I hope it's good quality. It's a mellow tea for an oolong- at least compared to what I've had before, but the quality of the leaves seems better than a lot of others I've seen. Not saying much though

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201709 ... 4fb1c7.jpg[/IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201709 ... 46acc6.jpg[/IMG].

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Sep 16th, '17, 18:35

by Chrysanthemum » Sep 16th, '17, 18:35

This is it (I stopped by the tea lounge today for Wi-Fi and took a pic).

What is the quality of tea from the Fujian province? Does anyone know?[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201709 ... 7c7078.jpg[/IMG]

Sep 16th, '17, 18:45

by victoria3 » Sep 16th, '17, 18:45

Chrysanthemum wrote: This is it (I stopped by the tea lounge today for Wi-Fi and took a pic).

What is the quality of tea from the Fujian province? Does anyone know?
(Image link deleted because teachat said it exceeded size :shock: )
True milk oolong is from Taiwan and is from the Jin Xuan cultivar. This pretty well describes it;
https://teatrekker.com/product/jin-xuan ... ng-nantou/

Sep 16th, '17, 20:35

by Chrysanthemum » Sep 16th, '17, 20:35

victoria3 wrote:
Chrysanthemum wrote: This is it (I stopped by the tea lounge today for Wi-Fi and took a pic).

True milk oolong is from Taiwan and is from the Jin Xuan cultivar. This pretty well describes it;
I apologize for the size issue. I didn't realize how big my phone photos were.

Thank you for the resource. I will take a look at it. Image

Sep 17th, '17, 01:28

by victoria3 » Sep 17th, '17, 01:28

Chrysanthemum wrote:
victoria3 wrote:

I apologize for the size issue. I didn't realize how big my phone photos were.

Thank you for the resource. I will take a look at it. Image

Photo size is not your issue, since you did not even attach it. This is a teachat photo problem, when I replied to your message it had a problem. No worries at your end.

Sep 18th, '17, 17:57

by plod » Sep 18th, '17, 17:57

Have reached a verdict on Wu Ling from TFT, after trying all sorts of parameters, and it's just ok. Like a fairly light milky oolong with better body and not very remarkable Gaoshan characteristics. Somewhat disappointed.

On the upside: tea from Huaying Chen arrived today. Some confusion in the ordering process resulted in a slightly different set of teas than originally intended, but no matter. I'll get the wild teas next time. I received the Fushoushan, the Lishan, the charcoal light roasted 100 year garden and the Mucha TGY. Plus a sample of the heavy roast 100yr garden.

Figure I'll start with either the Fushoushan or the Lishan (recommendations? I'd prefer to gradually work my way up rather than down in quality/uniqueness). The idea is to drink the greens while there's still some warmth left in the world. The darker ones should do well later in autumn.

Sep 18th, '17, 18:44

by victoria3 » Sep 18th, '17, 18:44

plod wrote: Have reached a verdict on Wu Ling from TFT, after trying all sorts of parameters, and it's just ok. Like a fairly light milky oolong with better body and not very remarkable Gaoshan characteristics. Somewhat disappointed.

On the upside: tea from Huaying Chen arrived today. Some confusion in the ordering process resulted in a slightly different set of teas than originally intended, but no matter. I'll get the wild teas next time. I received the Fushoushan, the Lishan, the charcoal light roasted 100 year garden and the Mucha TGY. Plus a sample of the heavy roast 100yr garden.

Figure I'll start with either the Fushoushan or the Lishan (recommendations? I'd prefer to gradually work my way up rather than down in quality/uniqueness). The idea is to drink the greens while there's still some warmth left in the world. The darker ones should do well later in autumn.
When you placed your ordered did you just mark up HY Chen's order sheet? I just do a visual markup on his PDF.
Let these oolongs rest a few days before opening, then open bag and air in bag slightly ajar for 1hr. and then close bag and rest another day or two. For some reason flights really affect teas, they need to recuperate.

I'd start with the LiShan- is it the special select 75gr. that comes in a Tin Caddy? Then FuShoushan. I can send you steeping parameters if you like. They are both excellent rich buttery smooth and sweet. A sit down and let's focus moment.

Sep 18th, '17, 19:16

by plod » Sep 18th, '17, 19:16

victoria3 wrote: When you placed your ordered did you just mark up HY Chen's order sheet? I just do a visual markup on his PDF.
Let these oolongs rest a few days before opening, then open bag and air in bag slightly ajar for 1hr. and then close bag and rest another day or two. For some reason flights really affect teas, they need to recuperate.
I should have used the order sheet, but I just lazily wrote the order in an mail. I also could have been clearer, so it was all my own doing. No harm done though, I would have wanted to try all the teas I received anyways. And Huaying was great to deal with, plus his emoji game is first class (which I appreciate, even if I never use any myself). Thanks for pointers on acclimatizing the teas! I have been wondering how to deal with that, especially whether or not to air. Will try your recipe. Btw, do you store the opened teas in their bags (with clip), or transfer to a caddy?
victoria3 wrote: I'd start with the LiShan- is it the special select 75gr. that comes in a Tin Caddy? Then FuShoushan. I can send you steeping parameters if you like. They are both excellent rich buttery smooth and sweet. A sit down and let's focus moment.
Great, thanks! Will start with the Lishan after the resting period is over. It does indeed come in a special tin caddy, somewhat similar to the Fushoushan. Mine has part of a poem printed on the side - by William Blake, if memory serves. Because of travel, I probably won't get around to actually drinking any of it for a week or two.
I would love to have your steeping parameters! Brewing notes from skilled hands are both interesting and quite valuable, as less tea is "lost" iterating ratios and steep times.

Oct 18th, '17, 13:33

by TeaSoul Shop » Oct 18th, '17, 13:33

Qi Lai High mountain tea of spring 2016. Stip with Gunfu cha method in Lins Ceramic Prosperity teapot. This light oxidised tea is always a pleaser to drink. Very floral aroma and intense after taste. To fill perfectly and exactly I use cup pair.

Oct 20th, '17, 04:37
Vendor Member

by ablecha » Oct 20th, '17, 04:37

Sometime I mixed difference kinds of tea and get the fancy soup...Today I tried Shui Jin Gui and Rou Gui(wuyi rock tea), Tie Guan Yin and Anji White tea. Each has its stropng point, such as Rougui, It has a domineering cinnamon aroma, with smooth throat feeling from Tieguanyin and sweet aftertaste from Anji white tea, it bring a wonderful taste. it is just made during my reviewing of these 4 teas,occasionally integrated the 4 tea soups and enjoy a wonderful and a little bit strange experience.

+ Post Reply