Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oct 21st, '17, 08:27
Vendor Member

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by jayinhk » Oct 21st, '17, 08:27

ablecha wrote: Sometime I mixed difference kinds of tea and get the fancy soup...Today I tried Shui Jin Gui and Rou Gui(wuyi rock tea), Tie Guan Yin and Anji White tea. Each has its stropng point, such as Rougui, It has a domineering cinnamon aroma, with smooth throat feeling from Tieguanyin and sweet aftertaste from Anji white tea, it bring a wonderful taste. it is just made during my reviewing of these 4 teas,occasionally integrated the 4 tea soups and enjoy a wonderful and a little bit strange experience.
There seems to be a tradition of blending teas in Fujian; hongcha and baicha together, for example, or different Wuyicha types to make for a fuller-flavored brew! The results can be much better than drinking just one type alone, if the teas aren't all that to begin with!

Oct 24th, '17, 12:54

by 12Tea » Oct 24th, '17, 12:54

jayinhk wrote:
ablecha wrote: Sometime I mixed difference kinds of tea and get the fancy soup...Today I tried Shui Jin Gui and Rou Gui(wuyi rock tea), Tie Guan Yin and Anji White tea. Each has its stropng point, such as Rougui, It has a domineering cinnamon aroma, with smooth throat feeling from Tieguanyin and sweet aftertaste from Anji white tea, it bring a wonderful taste. it is just made during my reviewing of these 4 teas,occasionally integrated the 4 tea soups and enjoy a wonderful and a little bit strange experience.
There seems to be a tradition of blending teas in Fujian; hongcha and baicha together, for example, or different Wuyicha types to make for a fuller-flavored brew! The results can be much better than drinking just one type alone, if the teas aren't all that to begin with!
Mixing different Wuyi rock teas is something vendors do also. They usually do it to have one tea in their offerings that has a very stable allround quality. It's not something they do with their best tea though. I guess they also select teas that 'aren't all that to begin with' :)

Oct 24th, '17, 13:37
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 24th, '17, 13:37

12Tea wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Mixing different Wuyi rock teas is something vendors do also. They usually do it to have one tea in their offerings that has a very stable allround quality. It's not something they do with their best tea though. I guess they also select teas that 'aren't all that to begin with' :)
Yes, I meant vendors and yeah, not the best tea! We're on the same plane. :)

Oct 31st, '17, 22:28

by john.b » Oct 31st, '17, 22:28

I just tried an Assam oolong from Halmari that was nice, very fruity, in the orange-citrus range. It reminded me a lot of either a second flush Darjeeling or an Oriental Beauty.

I hadn't really made the connection but per discussion related to a reference post on OB (the comments part, which of course didn't relate to people insulting each other) Darjeeling second flush teas are also fruity in part due to the effect of "bugs" biting the leaves. I'll cite both here, that link and the review post for the Assam oolong:

http://teaintheancientworld.blogspot.co ... olong.html

http://www.teageek.net/blog/2016/02/bug ... ood-thing/

Nov 1st, '17, 08:25
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 1st, '17, 08:25

Yes, John, I find fruit flavors in Assam. The Ruby Jade 18 that I have (which is not pure Assam but the cultivar created from Assamica and Sinensis) has some fruitiness which I am enjoying right now. #21 from Taiwan (a cultivar similar to 18) when one has an excellent 21 (which is hard to find, it took me 2 years) has fruit in its array of flavors also.

Preparation can highlight or bury fruit flavors. Not steeping for more than a minute and/or keeping water a bit under boiling temperature, brings out more of the fruit for me.

Cheers

Nov 18th, '17, 21:47

by raulcastro » Nov 18th, '17, 21:47

Today Long Feng Xia! I Love it!

Nov 20th, '17, 08:30
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 20th, '17, 08:30

A sample of a charcoal roast tieguanyin from a farm in Anxi. This is one of their mid-grade offerings. The first two infusions were lovely, but then the tea got more bitter and my assistant was struggling to handle it. I didn't think it was that bitter and there was pronounced huigan as well. Very clean TGY IMO, but nowhere near as good as their more expensive stuff IMO. Still, it was such a change from the other tieguanyin she's tried in her life (she's British-born Chinese and moved back to HK as a child) that she quite enjoyed it. She said the second infusion was best and I have to agree!

I bought several of the farm's top grade teas from this year and they should arrive next week. :) Their TGY isn't super fancy, but it is very clean and the best value green/Mainland charcoal roast TGY that I know of!

I prefer their to supposedly 'fancier' Mainland TGY I've tried from a wholesaler here in HK as well. With TGY It seems you can get more for your money with medium-grade stuff than you can with Wuyicha, where you always pay a hefty price for the good stuff!

Nov 21st, '17, 06:20

by 12Tea » Nov 21st, '17, 06:20

A Liu Bao tea that I got from Teasenz. Lovely dark tea with a thick dark soup. Not too much wet-piling flavour and very smooth. Slightly disappointed with the amount of infusions. 7 grams of tea last for 7 sessions in a gaiwan. I've had Liu Bao that could go up to 10 steeps, but anyways a great tea.

Dec 7th, '17, 05:09

by Aya » Dec 7th, '17, 05:09

Enjoyed Rui Li oolong from Formosa Tea Connection, best Taiwanese tea shop in Japan imho. (Probably Hojo is second to FTC for Gaoshan specifically but the latter is much more reasonable with high quality. )
Clear and fruity aroma that lasts for more than 6 brew without unpleasant "boiled spinach" taste.

Dec 13th, '17, 01:17
Vendor Member

by ablecha » Dec 13th, '17, 01:17

Tea Name: Wuyi Rock Tea Iron Arhat

Type: Oolong Tea

Year: 2017 Spring harvest

Mountain field: Wuyishan Ghost Cave

Fire: medium

Tea Quantity: 8 grams

Steeping time: 10, 10, 20, 20, 30, 30

40, 40, 60 seconds

Review Time: 2017–12–12 10:30

Review Location: Fuzhou, Fujian

Weather: cloud. Indoor 17 ℃-Outdoor 16 ℃

Reviewers: May & Peter

▲ Tea Set

110 ml bowl, fair cup, spoon, timer, electronic call, tea cups

▲ Dry Tea

Tea shape: Full slightly stout

Dry Tea fragrant: wood Incense

▲ Tea soup

Before the 7 bubbles are more uniform, after the first 8 bubbles water feeling.

1–2 infusions: woody incense, lid cover incense little dull. Just entrance, I feel a strong stimulation of the tea.

3–4 infusions: highlights the deep secluded floral, keep the alcohol slippery, cup lip incense become stronger and consistent with the soup incense.

5–6 infusion: light incense appears. Aromas have been reduced but feel more steady.

7–8: The thickness of the tea drops slightly, and the fineness can feel the mixed woody and medicinal notes.

Mar 18th, '18, 21:07

Re: What Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Kaiqi » Mar 18th, '18, 21:07

brad4419 wrote: Rou Gui from dragonteahouse brewed in a yixing today, Im still experimenting with this yixing but it looks like rou gui will be its dedication.
Hi, I just ordered Rou Gui from them days ago, and it hasn't arrived yet. I am very excited about drinking it. How is this tea? Also are you a frequent buyer from DTH? How are they in general?

Mar 30th, '18, 05:59

by InternPrimas » Mar 30th, '18, 05:59

High Mountains Premium Organic Tie GuanYin
Loose Leaf amount: 2 Teaspoons
Steepings: 3
Temperature: 185 F
Water: 7 to 7.5 ounces
Icecubes: 3 cubes used for each cup.
Sugar: 2 teaspoons each cup.

Aroma: Jasmine-like floral aroma. Some sort of sweet orchid like fruit?
Flavor: Milky/creamy, sweet orchid fruit, hints of umami (l-theanine), herbal flavors.
Overall: I'd drink this everyday due to the complexity, you can easily brew this three times. Also I experimented with various temperatures and can confirm it does change the flavor profile it's just very complex in terms of finding various notes change with temperature. This tea reminds me of a milky oolong slightly. It does have a natural milk like flavor to it.

Apr 13th, '20, 20:48

by SamHouse » Apr 13th, '20, 20:48

Nowadays, I am into Ginseng Oolong Tea since I love the aroma of ginseng. It is a perfect combination with oolong tea. It is also claimed to have many health benefits through :D

Aug 12th, '20, 15:19

by trziste » Aug 12th, '20, 15:19

I am drinking two oolongs right now. One is a Da Hong Pao that a student gave me when she graduated. It was a gift box with a lot of tea. I've been drinking it for months. It is very smoky and dark. The other is labeled " Lu Shan Chin Shin Heart of Pine," which I bought from Tea Mountain tea shop in Prague. It is much lighter and does indeed have a faint aroma of pine.

+ Post Reply