Fresh Dancong - strange scent?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 20th, '17, 14:57

Fresh Dancong - strange scent?

by VanFersen » Jun 20th, '17, 14:57

Ahoi there,

I just wanted to know if it could be normal or might be normal that very fresh harvested Dancong could have a very strong tomato-ish scent like a massive mix of tomato and maggi soup cube? (I mean the dry leaves inside their doypacks - wet leaves do smell like Dancong should actually scent like)

I received a fresh Dancong order and I was really shocked about the scent because like mentioned it is nearly similar in every pack with just a slightly difference and they all got this tomato soup cube scent. Which is something I wouldn't think of when it comes to Dancongs. Is it maybe this years harvest because maybe something changed within the surrounding environment or is it just normal?

I am not sure if I ever ordered completely fresh Dancong - maybe most of my ordered Dancong in the past were at least some months past the harvest date. So those here are really fresh.

But when it comes to Dancong I always thing about nutty, floral, fruity sweet notes with maybe a little roasted note but not tomato & maggi soup cube.

Maybe you guys could bring some light into this matter.
Last edited by VanFersen on Jun 22nd, '17, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 20th, '17, 16:18
Vendor Member

Re: Fresh Dancong - strange scent?

by ethan » Jun 20th, '17, 16:18

Van, How does it taste?

Jun 20th, '17, 16:23

by VanFersen » Jun 20th, '17, 16:23

the strange thing is within the taste they are as expected for their type. The Duck Shit is like I would imagine a Duck Shit, the same with the Ba Xian or the Zhi Lan or Xingren etc. It is so weird. Wet leaves and the actual tasting profile is as it should be but just the dry leaves within their doypacks smell so weird sourly tomato-ish which isn't a normal profile for Dancong - I mean not that I know - never at least experienced it before

I mean if this tomato-ish sour scent is caused by natural circumstances then I am fine with it because then it is like it should be but if this strange overall profile is caused within the cargo on its way on the plane or somewhere else on its way then it would concern me a bit.

Jun 20th, '17, 17:54

by victoria3 » Jun 20th, '17, 17:54

So all the DanCong have this tomatoe odor? I would contact the vendor and inquire what's going on because it is strange.

Jun 20th, '17, 19:58
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 20th, '17, 19:58

I know Japanese teas are known for umami--maybe the Teochew are taking it one step further. :lol:

Jun 21st, '17, 06:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jun 21st, '17, 06:01

jayinhk wrote: I know Japanese teas are known for umami--maybe the Teochew are taking it one step further. :lol:
:lol: :lol:

This post was something! :lol:

Sep 9th, '17, 22:28

by bagua7 » Sep 9th, '17, 22:28

Hmmm. Duck shit? I would avoid buying DC from that vendor.

Buying quality DC online isn't easy. I had milan xiang this morning and 2 h later I still got that lovely honey and peach taste in my mouth and both sides of my tongue. This tea was sourced from contacts the host has in Chaozhou. Outstanding tea. 10 times better than any DCS I have purchased online from various vendors.

I wouldn't bother drinking the tea you purchased. Send me a PM if you like and I can give you details about purchasing quality DC.

Cheers! :)

Apr 19th, '18, 04:49

by OCTO » Apr 19th, '18, 04:49

VanFersen wrote:Ahoi there,

I just wanted to know if it could be normal or might be normal that very fresh harvested Dancong could have a very strong tomato-ish scent like a massive mix of tomato and maggi soup cube? (I mean the dry leaves inside their doypacks - wet leaves do smell like Dancong should actually scent like)

I received a fresh Dancong order and I was really shocked about the scent because like mentioned it is nearly similar in every pack with just a slightly difference and they all got this tomato soup cube scent. Which is something I wouldn't think of when it comes to Dancongs. Is it maybe this years harvest because maybe something changed within the surrounding environment or is it just normal?

I am not sure if I ever ordered completely fresh Dancong - maybe most of my ordered Dancong in the past were at least some months past the harvest date. So those here are really fresh.

But when it comes to Dancong I always thing about nutty, floral, fruity sweet notes with maybe a little roasted note but not tomato & maggi soup cube.

Maybe you guys could bring some light into this matter.

Hi there,

How is your DanCong tasting and smelling right now?? It is not uncommon for freshly harvested DanCong to smell or even taste weird. Especially those that are medium roasted. Irregardless of DuckShit, 8 Immortals, Almond or HoneyOrchid aromas.... they smell pretty similar when they are freshly harvested and medium roasted. These will usually take 8-12mths to stabilize and ferment before you get to smell and taste their individual characteristics. Hence you rarely see teashops selling freshly harvested medium roast DanCong.

I personally prefer my *ahem* Duck Shit to be extremely light roasted. The upper nuance from the fragrance is simply amazing. Brew it with a simple white porcelain GaiWan will extract every ounce of aroma from the tea. Simply heavenly. Will post some photos of it if I can still locate them... lost somewhere in my photo album... hahahaha....

Just cupped and tasted 5 different grades / variants of Honey Orchid (Mi Lan Xiang) DanCong recently... all are medium roast. Though MiLan is considered as the most common variant of DanCong, it was a very nice experience. There are some really good MiLan DanCong that’s heavenly to your pallets.

Cheers folks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 22nd, '18, 12:04

by VanFersen » May 22nd, '18, 12:04

It totally changed for the better. Seems that it was a transportation or fresh-thing - I really can't say what it was.

Jan 15th, '19, 22:41

by crystalshop » Jan 15th, '19, 22:41

How does it taste like?

www.crystal-shop.co

+ Post Reply