Rinse oolong western style

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 18th, '18, 20:21

Rinse oolong western style

by Simon_Qc » Apr 18th, '18, 20:21

I know that it's better to rinse oolong when gongfu brewing, but do you guys rinse when brewing western style?
Since I use more water and less tea I'm afraid to lose a bit of the flavor.
So what do you think? Still useful to rinse or not?

Apr 18th, '18, 21:30

Re: Rinse oolong western style

by ShuShu » Apr 18th, '18, 21:30

Simon_Qc wrote: I know that it's better to rinse oolong when gongfu brewing, but do you guys rinse when brewing western style?
Since I use more water and less tea I'm afraid to lose a bit of the flavor.
So what do you think? Still useful to rinse or not?
Well, the first answer is obviously experiment and see what works best for you. Personally, I don't rinse green high mountain oolongs. But that is true even when I GF brew them. With the roasted one, I feel that rinsing is important to wake the leaf and let it spread out a bit.

Apr 19th, '18, 11:01

by OCTO » Apr 19th, '18, 11:01

Hi,

The tea farmer once advised and insist that we rinse the tea before consuming the first brew. However high the grade is!

Well, coming from the very hands that harvested and prepared the tea... I would take their advise seriously.

Their main reason for rinsing.... hygiene.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20th, '18, 10:08

by Senlin » Apr 20th, '18, 10:08

OCTO wrote: Hi,

The tea farmer once advised and insist that we rinse the tea before consuming the first brew. However high the grade is!

Well, coming from the very hands that harvested and prepared the tea... I would take their advise seriously.

Their main reason for rinsing.... hygiene.

Cheers!

Hi,

I agree with you, OCTO, but I would add that it depends on which tea farmer/country/tradition... When I went in Dayulin (Taïwan), the producer asked me not to rince his tea. He explained that he would feel insulted as rinsing implies that his work wouldn't be clean and carefully handcrafted. He added though that the lower the altitude, the more you rinse because of atmospheric pollution.

So, in doubt, always rinse!

Senlin

May 22nd, '18, 09:15

by ErniePen » May 22nd, '18, 09:15

You guys make a good case for rinsing. It's a shame it has to be done, but I want to put hygiene first tbh.

May 23rd, '18, 16:38

by DrJacoby » May 23rd, '18, 16:38

My personal rinsing habits are typically focused on whether the tea brewing benefits from a quick rinse: balled oolongs or compressed puer needs a splash to help open it up before the first brew, whereas Wuyi oolong and green tea tend to let a lot of flavor out in that first few seconds, so I don't discard that.

If I were trying to be health-focused, I'd probably rinse all of them! It would be helpful to see an actual controlled study that looks at whether a brief rinse actually affects pesticide residue content.

May 23rd, '18, 18:07

by Simon_Qc » May 23rd, '18, 18:07

DrJacoby wrote: My personal rinsing habits are typically focused on whether the tea brewing benefits from a quick rinse: balled oolongs or compressed puer needs a splash to help open it up before the first brew, whereas Wuyi oolong and green tea tend to let a lot of flavor out in that first few seconds, so I don't discard that.

If I were trying to be health-focused, I'd probably rinse all of them! It would be helpful to see an actual controlled study that looks at whether a brief rinse actually affects pesticide residue content.
My understanding is that pesticide enter the plant by it roots so I don't think a 10 sec wash can really help for that.

May 23rd, '18, 20:01

by DrJacoby » May 23rd, '18, 20:01

Simon_Qc wrote: My understanding is that pesticide enter the plant by it roots so I don't think a 10 sec wash can really help for that.
Interesting...it seems like there could also topically be pesticide on the leaf as well, though perhaps that comes off in processing. I remember David from EoT sharing a tasting pack a while back that was designed to educate on the flavors when pesticides are present in tea. I bet he probably has more info about whether it's in, out, or both.

Jun 23rd, '18, 21:03

by dogjaeja » Jun 23rd, '18, 21:03

I rinse, but then I drink it anyways :D .

Jun 26th, '18, 17:18

by 12Tea » Jun 26th, '18, 17:18

With oolong and ripe pu erh, hygiene can be a concern. I normally do perform a quick rinse, even when I do Western style. You can simply use less water for rinsing.

Jun 29th, '18, 01:38

by HoDae » Jun 29th, '18, 01:38

In Taiwan, I’ve heard some people said that the rinse will carry the extract away, but most of us still do a quick rinse.

I know the tea making process well, it’s very clean, without any pollution but I still do the rinse. Because the idea of rinse is to wash out the dusts that tea leaves may carry when they growing in the farm. The rinse could warm up your tea leaves and the tea ware, few seconds rinse won’t effect the flavor so don’t worry.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

Jul 1st, '18, 01:51

by friso » Jul 1st, '18, 01:51

Contradictory opinions, as always in the tea community... I personnaly don't think you should rinse your wulong if you plan to do a 2-3 minutes steep. Two reasons are commonly involved for rinsing the leaves : 1) you should let the leaves open up before susbequent and repeted quick steeps ; 2) you should "clean" the leaves. About 1) I think a 2-3 minutes "western" steep should leave plenty of time for the leaves to open up. About 2) the question is : do you trust these leaves ; or do you trust the seller?

Jul 1st, '18, 10:39
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 1st, '18, 10:39

Regardless of who sold the tea, I rinse. Dust happens...

Jul 6th, '18, 07:15

by OCTO » Jul 6th, '18, 07:15

jayinhk wrote:Regardless of who sold the tea, I rinse. Dust happens...
Yes.... regardless.... I always rinse. Especially aged tea.

+ Post Reply