Reduce roasted flavour in roasted oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Aug 1st, '19, 04:32

Reduce roasted flavour in roasted oolong

by Naphta » Aug 1st, '19, 04:32

Hello!

I've been drinking non roasted or slightly roasted oolong teas for a while, and only recently started to pay attention to roasted dongding or tieguanyin. The thing is, sometimes the roasted flavour wins over the aroma, while some other times I get to appreciate the aroma and forget about the roasting, which I don't particularly like.
I guess it depends a lot on each particular tea, but I wonder whether there are general tips about how leaves quantity or water temperature may help to increase or decrease the roasted flavour of medium or heavily roasted oolong.
Thanks!

Aug 1st, '19, 05:00

Re: Reduce roasted flavour in roasted oolong

by Spanky » Aug 1st, '19, 05:00

I know this isnt an answer to ure question but youve described common flaw in heavily roasted tea well. IMHO way best to drink better tea with tasteful and well integrated roast rather than worrying about how to fix bad tea.

Aug 2nd, '19, 00:08

by Naphta » Aug 2nd, '19, 00:08

Of course, I guess I could start with better roasted teas (mine aren't inexpensive though and I like a lot some of them, even if sometimes they bring contradictory results). But I was wondering if there are factors that we can play with to adjust the roast to one's preference (not just fix bad tea), just like we often do with bitterness.

Aug 2nd, '19, 01:07

by FBee » Aug 2nd, '19, 01:07

Naphta wrote: Of course, I guess I could start with better roasted teas (mine aren't inexpensive though and I like a lot some of them, even if sometimes they bring contradictory results). But I was wondering if there are factors that we can play with to adjust the roast to one's preference (not just fix bad tea), just like we often do with bitterness.
Play around with different clays. Some can rounden the brew, shave off the rough edges.

+ Post Reply