Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 8th, '17, 15:18

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by abnyc » Apr 8th, '17, 15:18

victoria3 wrote:
abnyc wrote: Stopped in at T Shop after work today, had their Huang Guan Yin. Absolutely incredible, with a scent of purple berries that moved into the flavor by the 4th steep, revealing a musky spice-smell that moved into the flavor itself by the 8th. Pleasant astringent after-taste, and left a powerful tea-drunkenness.
I see T Shop is very near Té Company in west village (where I get LiShan right now). Have you compared the two places? T's prices are almost 3x that of Té.... so am curious.
Never been to Te, but it's next on the list. Just went there for a session, though, their leaf prices are a bit out of my range.

Apr 8th, '17, 15:24

by victoria3 » Apr 8th, '17, 15:24

abnyc wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
abnyc wrote: Stopped in at T Shop after work today, had their Huang Guan Yin. Absolutely incredible, with a scent of purple berries that moved into the flavor by the 4th steep, revealing a musky spice-smell that moved into the flavor itself by the 8th. Pleasant astringent after-taste, and left a powerful tea-drunkenness.
I see T Shop is very near Té Company in west village (where I get LiShan right now). Have you compared the two places? T's prices are almost 3x that of Té.... so am curious.
Never been to Te, but it's next on the list. Just went there for a session, though, their leaf prices are a bit out of my range.
When you go to Té company chat with owner Elena she will serve you a few samples and is great to talk to.

Apr 8th, '17, 20:39
Vendor Member

by ethan » Apr 8th, '17, 20:39

William wrote:
ethan wrote:
William wrote:
William wrote: This afternoon I had some unroasted Anxi TGY
Quoting myself because I had the very same tea in a different teapot today (yesterday gaiwan, today early/mid 70s Hongni) .. amazed at how different it was compared to yesterday! :shock:
And the differences are...................
Hi Ethan, seems like I forgot to write how they were different .. sorry! :lol:

While the gaiwan was used, I could identify more easily how the flavors changed brew after brew, but they lacked depth, they weren't as dense and pungent as they could have been; the aroma was clearly identifiable with the nose, but hard to detect with the tongue. The next day instead the flavors had that depth I missed earlier; they were denser, lively and vibrant. The orchid aroma was definitely stronger. I also had more brews from the same quantity of leaves with that teapot.

It's always hard to explain those feelings with words, hope you understood something! :lol: :D
Thank you, William. That's most helpful. It's easy to assume that the aroma lost by not using glazed teaware means there is less flavor; yet, as I have posted several times, I have enjoyed roasted oolongs more since I started preparing them in a teapot I recently got w/ unglazed insides. I have thought that the hard edge of char was being mellowed making it easier to appreciate what else is offered. I was not aware of the deeper drink (most of the time). I also felt that because of my mood or whatever I happened to be pushing extra infusions out of the porous clay, rather than realizing the porous clay was giving those infusions to me. Cheers

Apr 10th, '17, 06:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Apr 10th, '17, 06:08

I'm having some deep roasted TGY along with my dinner. The roast is really strong (probably too much strong), so I had to use a small ROC Zini teapot, a rather porous clay.

I rarely use this teapot (because of the clay's porosity), but I must say in this case the match is perfect. Chocolate/cinnamon flavors, a faint vanilla/woody hint; this tea is strong for sure, arrived at brew 9 and it still keep going. I should have bought more of this tea .. :lol:

Apr 10th, '17, 11:30

by bilochun » Apr 10th, '17, 11:30

William wrote: I'm having some deep roasted TGY along with my dinner. The roast is really strong (probably too much strong), so I had to use a small ROC Zini teapot, a rather porous clay.

I rarely use this teapot (because of the clay's porosity), but I must say in this case the match is perfect. Chocolate/cinnamon flavors, a faint vanilla/woody hint; this tea is strong for sure, arrived at brew 9 and it still keep going. I should have bought more of this tea .. :lol:
where did you get it?

Apr 10th, '17, 12:45

by Henk » Apr 10th, '17, 12:45

I have a Taiwan TGY from Hojo that tasted incredibly roasted. I can see how that might be too much for some, but I like it.

Apr 10th, '17, 13:02

by William » Apr 10th, '17, 13:02

Henk wrote: I have a Taiwan TGY from Hojo that tasted incredibly roasted. I can see how that might be too much for some, but I like it.
Are you referring to MuZha TGY? That tea is lovely, the roast is strong, but well done! The TGY I had was stronger (the roast) and badly done.

Apr 10th, '17, 16:47

by Henk » Apr 10th, '17, 16:47

The tin just says Taiwan TGY, I think it's a traditional roast. I'm not at home atm, so I can't check more details.

Apr 10th, '17, 17:27

by William » Apr 10th, '17, 17:27

Henk wrote: The tin just says Taiwan TGY, I think it's a traditional roast. I'm not at home atm, so I can't check more details.
Mmm, I see. MuZha TGY is the only roasted Taiwanese TGY I bought from him; if he has other for sale, I never tried them! Btw, if the roast is well done, I absolutely adore this kind of flavours .. :D

Apr 10th, '17, 23:37

by victoria3 » Apr 10th, '17, 23:37

Enjoyed two back to back sessions with roasted oolongs;
Hau Ying Chen's Charcoal (carbon) Roasted DaYuLin Spring 2016, it is even more refined than his expertly roasted DongDing. Aromatics are impressive, minty notes, buttery chestnuts with no carbon roasted notes coming through. The roast is transformed like fiery magic. I seem to have dedicated HY Chen's roasted oolongs with high-fired unglazed stoneware by Shimizu Genji of Hokujo kiln in Tokoname. These somewhat porous pieces bring out aromatics while maintaining body very well.

Followed by Origin's 2010 Traditional High Fire LiShan Oolong in my 80s 'iron hat warrior' F1, Zini Yu Li (rain hat) by Liu Xiu Di (also from Tony). This zini clay works really well with aromatics and body as well. The liquor is rich and spicy with sweet camphor chestnuts and strong aromatics coming off glass pitcher and wet leaves.
Shimizu Genji of Hokujo kiln & 80s F1 Zini Yu Li (rain hat) by Liu Xiu Di  sm.jpg
Shimizu Genji of Hokujo kiln & 80s F1 Zini Yu Li (rain hat) by Liu Xiu Di sm.jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 647 times

Apr 11th, '17, 05:51

by William » Apr 11th, '17, 05:51

victoria3 wrote: Enjoyed two back to back sessions with roasted oolongs;
Hau Ying Chen's Charcoal (carbon) Roasted DaYuLin Spring 2016, it is even more refined than his expertly roasted DongDing. Aromatics are impressive, minty notes, buttery chestnuts with no carbon roasted notes coming through. The roast is transformed like fiery magic. I seem to have dedicated HY Chen's roasted oolongs with high-fired unglazed stoneware by Shimizu Genji of Hokujo kiln in Tokoname. These somewhat porous pieces bring out aromatics while maintaining body very well.

Followed by Origin's 2010 Traditional High Fire LiShan Oolong in my 80s 'iron hat warrior' F1, Zini Yu Li (rain hat) by Liu Xiu Di (also from Tony). This zini clay works really well with aromatics and body as well. The liquor is rich and spicy with sweet camphor chestnuts and strong aromatics coming off glass pitcher and wet leaves.
Shimizu Genji of Hokujo kiln & 80s F1 Zini Yu Li (rain hat) by Liu Xiu Di sm.jpg
Look like you had a rather impressive tea session there, Victoria3! Thanks for sharing! :D
Of the two teas brewed, which one you preferred the most?

Apr 11th, '17, 11:01
TeawareArtisan Member

by primetealeaf » Apr 11th, '17, 11:01

Anybody else here love Gui Fei Oolong? Been a pain to source quality batches. The aroma and flavour is so distinct! If anyone knows of high quality suppliers in Taiwan, please feel free to advise.

Many thanks.
Attachments
oolong.jpg
oolong.jpg (26.46 KiB) Viewed 601 times

Apr 11th, '17, 11:15

by victoria3 » Apr 11th, '17, 11:15

William wrote:
Look like you had a rather impressive tea session there, Victoria3! Thanks for sharing! :D
Hard to say as they were different and Origin's was 6 years older (& I don't know how it was stored as I received 12/2016), but if you insist, I'd say HY Chen's :)

Apr 11th, '17, 11:25

by William » Apr 11th, '17, 11:25

victoria3 wrote:
William wrote:
Hard to say as they were different and Origin's was 6 years older (& I don't know how it was stored as I received 12/2016), but if you insist, I'd say HY Chen's :)

Apr 12th, '17, 03:11

by William » Apr 12th, '17, 03:11

Having now some Li Shan (2016 - unroasted), I lightly baked a couple of months ago; it rested in a tin caddy since then. Not bad at all, the gaoshan flavors are all still there, though a little bit muted, i.e. less buttery/vegetal, more peach/ripe fruits.

+ Post Reply