Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 31st, '14, 02:02

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Puerlife » Mar 31st, '14, 02:02

[/quote]
I scarfed down everything on Buddhism I could get my hands on when I was young man. There was only one book I kept throughout the years that had a lasting impact on me, The Zen Teachings Of Huang Po, On The Transmission Of Mind, translated by John Blofeld.

It pairs well with a good Da Yu Ling. :D[/quote]

Thanks for posting. I just downloaded it at scribd.com in exchange for uploading a "quality" document. I see Blofeld also wrote this:
http://www.amazon.com/Chinese-Art-Tea-J ... hinese+tea Looks interesting.

Mar 31st, '14, 10:20

by Teaism » Mar 31st, '14, 10:20

Today I told myself I can only have one tea and must spent a lot of time on it. I brewed a semi fermented Dong Ding, using a lot of tea leaves on a big Gaiwan, very carefully control the temperature and the brew. Was in the state of super awareness and fussy with the brewing process from water to the final pour and the result was great. A very thick and sweet Dong Ding, almost dark yellow with super thick body and sweeeeeeet! :mrgreen:
Sometimes, one tea a day is good enough! :D

Cheers!
:D

Mar 31st, '14, 13:36

by debunix » Mar 31st, '14, 13:36

After a starting session with some precious Woojeon korean green tea, I'm on to green oolong--Cui Luan from Origin Tea. Unfortunately, today I have a cold and so am missing some of the nuances of the tea I'm drinking to stay hydrated. Still, this one shines through, warm, floral, golden, and a touch spicy. Drinking it from the Flower of Forgetfulness is a cheering touch too.

Mar 31st, '14, 16:06

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Mar 31st, '14, 16:06

sherubtse wrote:
茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:Today two different teas: the first pour is the winter gaoshan tea from Taiwan I've been drinking so frequently...quiet rounds under a moody sky of shifting grey clouds while reading The Way Of The Bodhisattva by Shantideva, a book that always speaks so deeply and so clearly.
That's a great book, a favourite of mine, and the only Mahayana text on my bookshelf. :D

Best wishes,
sherubtse
Indeed! I return to it again and again. It was given to me by a friend whom lived out of his van and spent his life traveling from teaching to teaching. He would park in front of our house when in Santa Cruz and gave me the book as a surprise gift after a night that we spent talking for hours and hours.
I scarfed down everything on Buddhism I could get my hands on when I was young man. There was only one book I kept throughout the years that had a lasting impact on me, The Zen Teachings Of Huang Po, On The Transmission Of Mind, translated by John Blofeld.

It pairs well with a good Da Yu Ling. :D
Teadoff, Nice pairing! :lol: I have Blofeld's book The Chinese Art of Tea but haven't read his version on Huang Po.
namaste, is it the translation by shambala publications?

i havent tried pairing buddhist books with tea though i'm attempting to run through the surangama sutra at the moment..
Kyarazen, Yes, it is the older Shambhala version with the blue cover. The newer version is red I believe. I don't often pair books with tea; if I do it's usually after the forth or fifth round. But certain books are rich for "sipping" along with tea. With tea I do include The Cai Gen Tan, tranlsated by Robert Aiken and The One Taste of Truth, Zen and the Art of Drinking Tea by William Scott Wilson amongst others. I've not read the Surangama Sutra and looked it up. Seems very rich!
An Interesting idea that ... tea and texts. Which teas go with which books and vice versa. Kyarazen referred to this idea as well in his post just above. Seems like a good topic for a new thread.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
Sherubtse, I agree; it's a thread I'd like to see and be interested in myself, tea and book pairings. Tea for me is a practice of presence and sense and there is such a great receptivity opened during tea. I prefer tea to be the sole purpose and intent of a sitting but do find that certain books really do "pair" well for me with tea. I find I pick up the books after the brewing has passed the fifth round and inbetween the longer steeps of later rounds. Some of the books that have made their way to the tea table in and enhancing way for me in recent months:

The Way of the Bodhisattva (Shambhala edition, Shantideva)
The One Taste of Truth, Zen and the Art of Drinking Tea (William Scott Wilson)
Sky Above, Great Wind, The Life and Poetry of Zen Master Ryokan (Kazuaki Tanahashi)
The Method of No Method (Master Sheng Yen)
The Anchor Book of Chinese Poetry (Tony Barnstone and Chou Ping)
Tai Chi Connections (John Loupos)
Hoofprint of the Ox (Master Sheng Yen)
Vegetable Roots Discourse/Cai Gen Tan (Robert Aiken)
The Way Of Liberation (Adyashanti)
Revolution And Its Past, Identities and Change in Modern Chinese History (R. Keith Schoppa)
Bagua Circle Walking Nei Gong (Tom Bisio)

Blessings all!

Mar 31st, '14, 16:17

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Mar 31st, '14, 16:17

Rich tea pour with my wife these last days: In one sitting and we pour Norbu's Ba Xian Fenghuang Wulong, follow that with some very wonderful loose sheng puerh sent to us from friends in Shenzhen, China, and follow the sheng with a newly opened 2008 Lan Cang Lao Puerh cake from 101 Tea. It was a really wonderful pour and nice time of conversation and sitting with my wife in the tea room. Inspired, my wife then headed to the potting wheel to throw some lids for gong fu teapots she's making and a new shiboridashi that came out very promising.

Blessings!

Mar 31st, '14, 21:07

by sherubtse » Mar 31st, '14, 21:07

茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:Rich tea pour with my wife these last days: In one sitting and we pour Norbu's Ba Xian Fenghuang Wulong, follow that with some very wonderful loose sheng puerh sent to us from friends in Shenzhen, China, and follow the sheng with a newly opened 2008 Lan Cang Lao Puerh cake from 101 Tea. It was a really wonderful pour and nice time of conversation and sitting with my wife in the tea room. Inspired, my wife then headed to the potting wheel to throw some lids for gong fu teapots she's making and a new shiboridashi that came out very promising.

Blessings!
TeaArt08: 101 Tea is a new company for me - never heard of them before. Would you please provide some details on them, and give some feedback on quality of teas, shipping, etc.

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Mar 31st, '14, 22:11

by debunix » Mar 31st, '14, 22:11

Enjoying some 2012 fall 'Red' Alishan oolong from Norbu. It's very reminiscent of the highly oxidized, fruity, brandy-like (except being alcohol-free, tastier) Imperial Pearl Oolong from the MountainTea OTTI. The strong flavor is standing up well to my cold-impaired nose.

Mar 31st, '14, 23:43

by Misou » Mar 31st, '14, 23:43

Interesting ! I was looking at that tea this evening and wondered how it tastes. Nice description. Thanks!

Apr 1st, '14, 07:46

by Poseidon » Apr 1st, '14, 07:46

I woke up a little earlier this morning due to falling asleep at 8pm last night so I made some High Mountian Oolong in a cheap kyusu. Its really hitting the spot this morning. :mrgreen:

Apr 1st, '14, 11:35

by debunix » Apr 1st, '14, 11:35

Cui Luan from Origin Tea again this morning--a mountain oolong start to the day: this mountain oolong is still hitting the spot for a snuffly-sneezy-must-drink-a-lot day.

Apr 1st, '14, 13:53

by bonescwa » Apr 1st, '14, 13:53

the_economist wrote:A little 'experiment' today: Two Rouguis, one stored in pewter, the other stored in a resealable bag. The one stored in pewter fared much better, retaining aroma, body, and flavors while the one in the bag became rather flat and even had a bitter note to it possibly due to the bag (it wasn't a very good bag).

Was it a normal airtight mylar bag?

Apr 1st, '14, 14:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Apr 1st, '14, 14:28

It's one of those normal ziplock airtight bags yeah.

Apr 2nd, '14, 13:35
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 2nd, '14, 13:35

High fire SX from a few blocks away. :) Feels good to be drinking oolong again--very very calming and warming.

Apr 3rd, '14, 15:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Apr 3rd, '14, 15:58

Spring is here! 2010 Traditional Baozhong from Origintea in the office. It's all sold out though...gotta drink it more slowly.

Apr 4th, '14, 01:55

by Peacock » Apr 4th, '14, 01:55

2011 mid-fire lishan from origintea. It tastes quite like houjicha, expect with a more powerful fruity aroma that houjicha lacks. Its a great tea to to unwind with in the late evening.
Last edited by Peacock on Apr 4th, '14, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.

+ Post Reply