Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 27th, '17, 11:07

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by victoria3 » Mar 27th, '17, 11:07

William wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Because osmanthus can be very bitter, I first steep tea, then add flowers to liquor for a +-45 seconds. Love the added aroma, sweetness and bright yellow color.
This is a really good tip for avoiding bitterness, I'll try next time. Thanks for sharing! :D
Here is a picture in action :D
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11862&p=288900&hili ... us#p288900

Mar 27th, '17, 11:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Mar 27th, '17, 11:49

victoria3 wrote:
William wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Because osmanthus can be very bitter, I first steep tea, then add flowers to liquor for a +-45 seconds. Love the added aroma, sweetness and bright yellow color.
This is a really good tip for avoiding bitterness, I'll try next time. Thanks for sharing! :D
Thank you for the link, Victoria3. It looks so delicious! :D

Osmanthus flowers and Taiwanese oolong must be an amazing combination; I need to try for sure with high mountain unroasted and roasted ones .. which tea in particular, do you like the most to pair with osmanthus flowers?

Mar 27th, '17, 13:03

by dizzo » Mar 27th, '17, 13:03

long week of being all stuffed up and unable to taste anything. having some jin xuan milk oolong right now. Everything tastes so vivid when you just get over a cold!

Mar 27th, '17, 17:57

by victoria3 » Mar 27th, '17, 17:57

William wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
William wrote:
Thank you for the link, Victoria3. It looks so delicious! :D

Osmanthus flowers and Taiwanese oolong must be an amazing combination; I need to try for sure with high mountain unroasted and roasted ones .. which tea in particular, do you like the most to pair with osmanthus flowers?
I think I've only tried it with medium grade LuGu oolong, which was somewhat light and delicate in flavor letting the Osmanthus come through.

Mar 27th, '17, 19:04

by William » Mar 27th, '17, 19:04

victoria3 wrote: I think I've only tried it with medium grade LuGu oolong, which was somewhat light and delicate in flavor letting the Osmanthus come through.
Thanks again for the tip! I will experiment a bit with many different Taiwanese oolong; I am truly curious to see with what, osmanthus flowers pair the best! :D

Mar 28th, '17, 03:08

by chrl42 » Mar 28th, '17, 03:08

Wang Shun-ming's DHP, a mini tint product called 'xiao-guan-cha'..

High-fired, normal durability..I'd the taste is quite typical..firing is quite high and the product was made like a month ago, hovering any hint of yan-yun aspects...this kinda tea should be stored enough beforing tasting, I think..

Mar 28th, '17, 03:34
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Mar 28th, '17, 03:34

Old/stale dancong is often fragranced with osmanthus. Traditionally this would've been done with flowers, but nowadays it might be essential oil or even chemical fragrance. If you have mediocre dancong, it might be worth trying to scent it with flowers or you could even add some to your gaiwan.

Mar 31st, '17, 10:35

by William » Mar 31st, '17, 10:35

Enjoying some deep roasted TGY; this is one of the few teas I can drink after dinner without problems. If the right clay is used (preferably pure Zini clay - porous but well fired, of course), brewing this tea with a small teapot (50 / 70 ml) it's like having the typical Italian espresso :lol:

Mar 31st, '17, 15:50

by cwj » Mar 31st, '17, 15:50

Just finishing a session of a Brandy Oolong (this one from TeaSource).
Never had a brandy oolong before today...it's interesting. The liquor is a very clear amber-red...looks like a hong cha. Very highly oxidized tea without much roast.
Flavor is...well, it's like fresh baked bread. Ultra smooth, a wee bit of peach, just a hint, in the very quick finish. Very durable. Seems like a nice tea to drink all day long while doing other things.
I bet my mother will like this, I should brew it up on her next visit in my 300ml glass pot to show off the sparkling color.

7g leaf in 100ml gaiwan. Just finished 7th infusion. I think I'll have another session.
I'll need to explore brandy oolongs from other vendors...interesting stuff.

Mar 31st, '17, 19:25
Vendor Member

by ethan » Mar 31st, '17, 19:25

Just used the last few grams of 100-gram pack of Boazhong which I opened about 3 weeks ago. Lately this only has muted green flavor, though when I opened other packets of it in October & November it had lots of "greenness". W/ quick steeping it gives a recognizable taste of fairly light roasting & another comforting flavor which as before I cannot find a reference for, though I have had it again & again. Nice note of mint which is also often part of roasting flavors for me.
Started a thread about different parameters for various teaware for the same tea, but I could have just as well written about changing parameters as a tea matures. This Boazhong has led me to use higher & higher temperature as it matured.
This is not my most complex tea; it is very satisfying. Must be. I went through 100 grams quickly.

Apr 3rd, '17, 05:37
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 3rd, '17, 05:37

Drinking farm direct Anxi tieguanyin (green) in a vintage Factory 1 duanni houhin for the Japanese market. Wow, this clay works amazingly well with this tea and really brings out the aroma, while making the tea smooth and light. An almost milk-like character to this TGY. Really good stuff and far better than the cheap stuff, which is pretty much undrinkable!

Apr 3rd, '17, 08:19

by victoria3 » Apr 3rd, '17, 08:19

jayinhk wrote: Drinking farm direct Anxi tieguanyin (green) in a vintage Factory 1 duanni houhin for the Japanese market. Wow, this clay works amazingly well with this tea and really brings out the aroma, while making the tea smooth and light. An almost milk-like character to this TGY. Really good stuff and far better than the cheap stuff, which is pretty much undrinkable!
Love to see a picture of this ...

Apr 3rd, '17, 08:41

by William » Apr 3rd, '17, 08:41

jayinhk wrote: Drinking farm direct Anxi tieguanyin (green) in a vintage Factory 1 duanni houhin for the Japanese market. Wow, this clay works amazingly well with this tea and really brings out the aroma, while making the tea smooth and light. An almost milk-like character to this TGY. Really good stuff and far better than the cheap stuff, which is pretty much undrinkable!
How do you handle the houhin?
I mean, using boiling water, the houhin should become extremely hot ..

Apr 3rd, '17, 08:46
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 3rd, '17, 08:46

William wrote:
How do you handle the houhin?
I mean, using boiling water, the houhin should become extremely hot ..
Longer infusions and I hold it near the top. It's hot, but bearable

Apr 3rd, '17, 08:51
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 3rd, '17, 08:51

+ Post Reply