Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

May 21st, '14, 01:48

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » May 21st, '14, 01:48

I take the time today to brew spring water in my old tetsubin over coals in the kiri hibachi. The coals burn steady for 4.5 hours and I start with Hong Yu from Norbu before moving on to wulong. Lovely rounds of Competition Baozhong from Mt. View Tea Village poured in a 120ml Petr Novak kyusu and cups. Lucid huigan with an appropriate creaminess and Baozhong's lingering floral. A very balanced tea poured for many rounds of beautiful golden liquor on a soft, overcast, cool day.

Blessings!

May 22nd, '14, 03:38

by Tofsla » May 22nd, '14, 03:38

shah82 wrote:'10 XinRen Dancong from Teaclassico.

First try was straight up brewed like puerh, which didn't work that well...

Today, I tried it a little gentler, with cooler, longer first brew, then boiling hot for slightly longer brew length interval, 20, 15, 25, 35, like so...

The tea is kind of old, so the top taste is very mild. The aroma does have a strong butter and almond character among the florals. Soup is smooth and mostly bitter free, but sour crept in towards the end. The best thing about the tea was the comprehensive huigan and mouthcoat. Stronger than the top taste, in general. This is expensive tea at close to a dollar a gram, but it does seem to be of the same grade of tea that Tea Habitat sells, and well above the commercial grade Da Wu Ye I have had from Jing Tea Shop. I enjoyed it, but there wasn't really any qi, and while this tastes and smells far better than the Nanjian ZhaiZiPo that I also had today...well, let's just say that the '05 laocong SX I have is more of a blissful tea.
I drunk this one, too, the other day. My first brew was very astringent, but I adjusted the steeping time and it worked very well. Its aftertaste is wonderful and kind of addictive: it makes you longing for more all the time. I was drinking this tea the whole day, 8 hours straight, and never got to the point it is definitely over. No other dancong I tried before (well, they were only from popular sellers on e-bay and taobao - I did not try Tea Habitat or other boutique shops, yet) can compare to this one, indeed.

May 22nd, '14, 03:54

by Risdt » May 22nd, '14, 03:54

Origin's pick of the season DYL from '13 winter. Brewing it with 11g/100ml in an early 90'ies high fire ba le and it's amazing, intense lingering aftertaste that lasts for ages :D This is a tea that can be pushed to its limited without getting unpleasant.

May 28th, '14, 11:06

by Risdt » May 28th, '14, 11:06

2003 Wuyi Hui-Yuan Cliff Shui Xian King, this stuff is good :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: Perhaps I should've never drank it as now it made me curious to even better yan cha's :lol:

May 28th, '14, 17:35

by Noonie » May 28th, '14, 17:35

Rou Gui from Tao Tea Leaf (a shop in Toronto). After a stretch of nice, warm weather in Toronto it's a bit cooler today so this strong tea is tasting wonderful.

I had neglected this shop or a while as I was ordering online from oversees, and was also focused mainly on Japanese greens, but this has rekindled my like for Rou Gui...I also ordered some Dan Cong (first time - will try soon).

May 28th, '14, 19:56

by debunix » May 28th, '14, 19:56

Following a very Petr sencha session with morning with a very Shawn Jin Guan Yin session--Norbu's spring JGY from last year brewed in a Greenwood studio shibo and enjoyed from one of Shawn's snowflake glaze cups.

May 29th, '14, 16:46

by Groucho » May 29th, '14, 16:46

Jin Xuan from EcoTeas. It's OK but I've had others I've preferred.

Jun 1st, '14, 03:28

by Tead Off » Jun 1st, '14, 03:28

2013 Zhengyan Rou Gui Competition Tea from JK Teashop. Super good. Deep flavor/aroma, with a complex mineral taste and enough sweetness to rate this very highly.

Jun 1st, '14, 10:18
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jun 1st, '14, 10:18

Tead Off wrote:2013 Zhengyan Rou Gui Competition Tea from JK Teashop. Super good. Deep flavor/aroma, with a complex mineral taste and enough sweetness to rate this very highly.
I have never ordered from this seller. I will surely order some samples. :D

Jun 1st, '14, 13:47

by Tead Off » Jun 1st, '14, 13:47

William wrote:
Tead Off wrote:2013 Zhengyan Rou Gui Competition Tea from JK Teashop. Super good. Deep flavor/aroma, with a complex mineral taste and enough sweetness to rate this very highly.
Try their Wuyi sample pack. 11 different Wuyi teas that will give you a very broad picture and a means for comparative drinking.

Jun 1st, '14, 14:55

by William » Jun 1st, '14, 14:55

Tead Off wrote:
William wrote:
Try their Wuyi sample pack. 11 different Wuyi teas that will give you a very broad picture and a means for comparative drinking.
Thanks for the advice, Jeff. :idea:
Have you tried other teas from this seller?

Jun 1st, '14, 23:08

by Tead Off » Jun 1st, '14, 23:08

William wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
William wrote:
Yes.
2013 Imperial Jiang Hua Xiang/Ginger Flower Dancong. Excellent.
2011 Charcoal roasted Gande TGY. Very good.

Jun 2nd, '14, 03:45

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jun 2nd, '14, 03:45

Today two pours with my wife after returning from World Tea Expo:

We pour Da Yu Ling in my wife's newly fired teapot, recently received back from the kiln (http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=135) for some really nice rounds before shifting into some Tie Guan Yin to finish the time. Nice pour; it's good to be home to the tea space.

Blessings!

Jun 2nd, '14, 04:55

by William » Jun 2nd, '14, 04:55

Tead Off wrote:
William wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
William wrote:
Yes.
2013 Imperial Jiang Hua Xiang/Ginger Flower Dancong. Excellent.
2011 Charcoal roasted Gande TGY. Very good.
Great! I will surely try.
If the quality is good, the prices seems more than fair. :)

Jun 2nd, '14, 18:56

by tst » Jun 2nd, '14, 18:56

I've fallen away from oolongs for quite some time ... forgive me father, for I have sinned :lol:

Decided to brew some 2011 Jin Suo Shi from EoT (received it as a sample with an order I placed some time ago). Really enjoying this tea. Haven't had positive experiences with Wuyi teas in the past, but decided to brew this less aggressively and prefer the results.

http://www.essenceoftea.com/tea/oolong- ... ancha.html

+ Post Reply