Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 12th, '17, 06:40

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by victoria3 » Apr 12th, '17, 06:40

William wrote: Having now some Li Shan (2016 - unroasted), I lightly baked a couple of months ago; it rested in a tin caddy since then. Not bad at all, the gaoshan flavors are all still there, though a little bit muted, i.e. less buttery/vegetal, more peach/ripe fruits.
Curious why you originally baked this LiShan and how, open pan in the oven?

Apr 12th, '17, 09:14
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Apr 12th, '17, 09:14

victoria3 wrote: Curious why you originally baked this LiShan and how, open pan in the oven?
I personally like to bake in a oven, from time to time, many different teas; the muted aromatics/flavors are always a surprise .. of course some kind of teas are simply bad if baked, e.g. young puerh or red teas, but with others I sometimes have incredible results.

I usually use a small deep aluminum pan, never above 50/80 degrees ºC .. usually 10/30 minutes, but sometimes even more. The most important thing is to bake the tea gently, otherwise the risk is to ruin the tea.

Apr 12th, '17, 12:11

by hopeofdawn » Apr 12th, '17, 12:11

primetealeaf wrote: Anybody else here love Gui Fei Oolong? Been a pain to source quality batches. The aroma and flavour is so distinct! If anyone knows of high quality suppliers in Taiwan, please feel free to advise.

Many thanks.
I absolutely love gui fei oolong, ever since my first taste--such an amazing aroma, and lovely smooth brew as long as I'm paying attention. :) I can't speak for other vendors, but I get mine from Taiwanteacrafts, and I've yet to be disappointed.

Apr 12th, '17, 18:06

Re: RE: Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Henk » Apr 12th, '17, 18:06

William wrote:
Henk wrote: The tin just says Taiwan TGY, I think it's a traditional roast. I'm not at home atm, so I can't check more details.
Mmm, I see. MuZha TGY is the only roasted Taiwanese TGY I bought from him; if he has other for sale, I never tried them! Btw, if the roast is well done, I absolutely adore this kind of flavours .. :D
Sorry it took me a while, was traveling. The code is O12T if that helps.

And yes, I think it's well done but I'm not experienced/exposed enough to really tell.

Apr 12th, '17, 18:24

Re: RE: Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by William » Apr 12th, '17, 18:24

Henk wrote: Sorry it took me a while, was traveling. The code is O12T if that helps.

And yes, I think it's well done but I'm not experienced/exposed enough to really tell.
Yep, 012T is MuZha TGY. Great tea! :D
I should order some!

Apr 13th, '17, 23:34

by teadesa » Apr 13th, '17, 23:34

Wu mei from Toba Wangi, Java. Delicious

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apr 14th, '17, 18:26

by victoria3 » Apr 14th, '17, 18:26

I had a very nice Muzha recently after a tea talk by Jason Chang a new vendor out of California, www.teaful.co

Got my humongous order from HY Chen, enough for me to host a few tea gatherings. He gifted me some pretty amazing teas that I'm looking forward to experiencing; FSS Primitive Wild Forest, 1985 old DongDing, plus a Muzha, & his DaYuLings.

Test driving his LiShan today. It is very delicate, light buttery, sweet & floral with flavors intensifying in later infusions. Appropriately steeped in an F2 pot from kyarazen. Very nice.
Attachments
HY Chen LiShan_sm1.jpg
HY Chen LiShan_sm1.jpg (64.89 KiB) Viewed 892 times

Apr 14th, '17, 19:45

by William » Apr 14th, '17, 19:45

victoria3 wrote: I had a very nice Muzha recently after a tea talk by Jason Chang a new vendor out of California, www.teaful.co

Got my humongous order from HY Chen, enough for me to host a few tea gatherings. He gifted me some pretty amazing teas that I'm looking forward to experiencing; FSS Primitive Wild Forest, 1985 old DongDing, plus a Muzha, & his DaYuLings.

Test driving his LiShan today. It is very delicate, light buttery, sweet & floral with flavors intensifying in later infusions. Appropriately steeped in an F2 pot from kyarazen. Very nice.
Nice teapot (and pitcher :mrgreen:)!

Apr 15th, '17, 19:35

by victoria3 » Apr 15th, '17, 19:35

Had a long session with HY Chen's Charcoal Medium Roast DongDing JuneWhite 2016. I used a lot of leaf 13gr/240ml in Hojuko's kyusu, wow intense. I had to leave after four steeps and now an hour later I can still feel a powerful very sweet dense mouthfeel. Next time I think I'll steep a smaller amount, either way lighter or dense this is delicious.
Last edited by victoria3 on Apr 16th, '17, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 15th, '17, 21:01

by Ferg » Apr 15th, '17, 21:01

victoria3 wrote: Had a long session with HY Chen's Charcoal Medium Roast DongDing JuneWhite 2016. I used a lot of leaf 13gr/240ml in Hojuko's kyusu, wow intense. I had to leave after four steeps and now an hour later I can still feel a powerful very sweet dense mouthfeel. Next time I think I'll steep a smaller amount, either way lighter or dense this is delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Victoria! Has this become your favorite oolong? Seems you're always mentioning it. And how roasted is it exactly? I will have to consider grabbing some...at some point. Hope all is well.

Apr 16th, '17, 00:23

by Bok » Apr 16th, '17, 00:23

Ferg wrote:
victoria3 wrote: Had a long session with HY Chen's Charcoal Medium Roast DongDing JuneWhite 2016. I used a lot of leaf 13gr/240ml in Hojuko's kyusu, wow intense. I had to leave after four steeps and now an hour later I can still feel a powerful very sweet dense mouthfeel. Next time I think I'll steep a smaller amount, either way lighter or dense this is delicious.

Hey Victoria! Has this become your favorite oolong? Seems you're always mentioning it. And how roasted is it exactly? I will have to consider grabbing some...at some point. Hope all is well.
His medium is a bit heavier than usual medium roast oolongs. I wouldn't recognise it as medium if not indicated. Very similar to his heavy roast.

Apr 16th, '17, 01:05

by victoria3 » Apr 16th, '17, 01:05

Ferg wrote:
It is medium roasted, but the roast is transformed into something else, like aged sweet almond malt with other interesting notes that I find hard to define. I'll send you some.

Apr 16th, '17, 03:14

by Ferg » Apr 16th, '17, 03:14

Bok wrote:
Ferg wrote:

His medium is a bit heavier than usual medium roast oolongs. I wouldn't recognise it as medium if not indicated. Very similar to his heavy roast.
Hello Bok! Thanks for the reply. The heavier, the better (to a point I realize)! I like the dark roasts more tbh. Easier transition from being a very heavy coffee drinker after all these years. I mostly drink sencha otherwise, which to me is so different from everything else. Like steamed vegetables.

Apr 16th, '17, 03:18

by Ferg » Apr 16th, '17, 03:18

victoria3 wrote:
Ferg wrote:
It is medium roasted, but the roast is transformed into something else, like aged sweet almond malt with other interesting notes that I find hard to define. I'll send you some.
Ok, I won't try to stop you. :wink: I am very excited to try this, simply due to your raving. Anything with the description of aged and almonds is good enough by me. But you can throw in malty too. I love my Guinness! What do you recommend brewing it in? And why do you find Hokujo pairs well with medium/high roast oolongs?

Apr 16th, '17, 22:07
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 16th, '17, 22:07

Tried out my new tetsubin last night with some 1970s DongDing via Ferg--labeled 'Red Blossom.' Amazing tea with decent longevity. Incense, almost agarwood-like flavors and light citrus. Nice and flavorful, too; well balanced and a real pleasure to drink. I don't know if this is a former EoT offering or Red Blossom is a dealer's name, but it was a lovely tea, and since I used a 40ml pot, I have enough for another session.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BS86i4MFcQ2/

+ Post Reply